mods + loading = problems?

Serp

King
Hi,

Is there a thread or simular, where I can read how to deal with loading games?

Nutty wrote this (topic was the loading screen that happens in multiplayer sometimes)
[...] it's likely to cause problems with data not being saved properly if you don't go back to the main menu before reloading. Many mods suffer from this behavior, though the results may not be as apparent where the mods' changes aren't as wide-ranging.
In addition to that I think some mods could also have problems when loading from main menu?

I think problems can accure when I save and load data in a .lua file?
Some of my used mods use the SaveUtilis.lua, could this cause problems when loading?
And the "fortress borders" mod use "Modding.OpenSaveData()", is this a problem?

In addition I use these mods in multiplayer. Some mods, like "fortress borders", are not mutliplayer compatible out of the box. That's why I already improved some things. Maybe this cause additional loading issues?

The source of that quote would be helpful, as I'm not entirely sure what he's referring to there.

There can be a multitude of problems, or there could be absolutely no problems. It depends on what you're doing, and what exactly is happening or not happening. None of which we can comment on because there's absolutely no information here whatsoever to work with, and all we'd be doing is speculating pointlessly.

Also, it may just be me, but man, you should probably just open a help thread, instead of creating a half dozen separate threads.

The source of that quote would be helpful, as I'm not entirely sure what he's referring to there.

There can be a multitude of problems, or there could be absolutely no problems. It depends on what you're doing, and what exactly is happening or not happening. None of which we can comment on because there's absolutely no information here whatsoever to work with, and all we'd be doing is speculating pointlessly.
When someone is quoted, you can click on this little arrow symbol to see the source ;)
But I did not ask only for the topic of this quote. I ask in general which problems can happen while loading a save game or loading without returning to main menu before. This in combination with the SaveUtilis.lua file or the "Modding.OpenSaveData()" .

Also, it may just be me, but man, you should probably just open a help thread, instead of creating a half dozen separate threads.
Sry.. ^^ I'm working at my modpack today, that's why so many questions.
And I think it is better for everysone, when I make a seperated thread for every question (or topic). Imagine I asked all of these question in a single post in a single thread. No one would even read the big text and I would have no answer at all.
Also for everyone who is searching for answers to simular problems can find them much easier.

I would respectfully disagree, as there are many examples here for gigantic "help" threads (Heck, just take a look at AggressiveWimp's thread here) that are, in my eyes, much more manageable since everything is in one place, and the forum isn't spammed with so many related topics.

On the subject of data persistence, there are mods which utilize both SaveUtils' SetScriptData() method and mods like mine which utilize the Modding.OpenSaveData() method via TableSaverLoader which work perfectly fine and without issue in multiplayer.

Then, you have mods which use these same utilities and they have issues.

As I said, it depends. We need more information.

I would respectfully disagree, as there are many examples here for gigantic "help" threads (Heck, just take a look at AggressiveWimp's thread here) that are, in my eyes, much more manageable since everything is in one place, and the forum isn't spammed with so many related topics.
hmm.. but just look at my promotions thread. There I had 4 questions. Not all of them got an answer. And because of my syntac error, we all focused on that. Now the syntax error is solved.
I repeated one of my questions, because if I did not, no one would ever answer it. (at least im think it would happen, based on experience)

On the subject of data persistence, there are mods which utilize both SaveUtils' SetScriptData() method and mods like mine which utilize the Modding.OpenSaveData() method via TableSaverLoader which work perfectly fine and without issue in multiplayer.

Then, you have mods which use these same utilities and they have issues.
okay.. thanks =)

As I said, it depends. We need more information.
Really appreciate your answers :) Because otherwise I would get no answers and wonder why =/ :)

I think I will test the mods in mutliplayer + loading game and see if there are any issues... I hoped there would be a general rule, e.g. that I should call a special event after every loading or simular.
But maybe there are no issues at all :)

I will post here again, if I find any issues and attach the mod ;)

The quote above referred to why some mods, like the Community Balance Patch and Communitas, disable the in-game Load Game button. The more technical answer is that the global Lua variables like MapModData aren't cleared when loading a game in that way.

The quote above referred to why some mods, like the Community Balance Patch and Communitas, disable the in-game Load Game button. The more technical answer is that the global Lua variables like MapModData aren't cleared when loading a game in that way.

ah, so it is only about the in-game load button?

Because in mutliplayer it happens sometimes, the game does a loading itself. I think it is to keep the game synchron or simular. Do you know what I mean?
I wonder if this could be a problem or not.

Top Bottom