The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #1

Spoiler :

thank you for an interesting map.

I saved 2 ruins for t20, and one of them gave me 20 faith - free religious idols. Scouting till t30 told me that this is basically pangaea (and it was...) so I decided to go for SS and built stonehenge. I think I got 60 faith ruin later too.

cap BO: scout - monument - scout - granary - 2 archers - stonehenge - shrine/settlers - oracle - settlers

I stole a worker from Songhai early. And I killed/stole his settlers so that I could use all of nearby land for city spamming. I even citadeled him to get dye. Didn't take his cap, as I worried about warmonger penalty (and no open borders...)

oracle t83, reformation t86. Ethiopia choose glory (!!!) of god. I think I enhanced around t75 - pagoda and mosque.

Not sure this could be faster than domination (probably not).

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I saved 2 ruins for t20, and one of them gave me 20 faith - free religious idols. Scouting till t30 told me that this is basically pangaea (and it was...) so I decided to go for SS and built stonehenge. I think I got 60 faith ruin later too.

cap BO: scout - monument - scout - granary - 2 archers - stonehenge - shrine/settlers - oracle - settlers

I stole a worker from Songhai early. And I killed/stole his settlers so that I could use all of nearby land for city spamming. I even citadeled him to get dye. Didn't take his cap, as I worried about warmonger penalty (and no open borders...)

oracle t83, reformation t86. Ethiopia choose glory (!!!) of god. I think I enhanced around t75 - pagoda and mosque.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I'm quite curious as to how all those cities helps you win a culture victory. Clearly it works, but how does it help? What is the theory behind it all?

I'm quite curious as to how all those cities helps you win a culture victory. Clearly it works, but how does it help? What is the theory behind it all?

sacred sites reformation belief . You need a lot of cities with pagoda/mosque/etc. every city gives +4 TPT. So you win quite fast if you do it right.

Nice job glory7 :)

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Neat! :goodjob:

looking at the spoilers, there seems to be nothing challenging here - there's way too much free space around and Cs are blocking the Ai even further.

looking at the spoilers, there seems to be nothing challenging here - there's way too much free space around and Cs are blocking the Ai even further.
Spoiler :
Between Atilla conquering Persia relatively quickly in my game, OCC Dondaldo to the SE, and my own efforts to shut down Askia, it feels like there's tons of room and very few AIs.

Seriously though... I prefer to pick maps that I in one way or the other find fun to play. Not always necessarily hard to beat.

Since I'm a roleplayer myself I might introduce to a role-player guest with restrictions picked by the map provider - for us that don't play for fast finishing times only.

In this case playing Japan it might have been "Fill honor, spread shinto all over the world."

Played it. Science vic on 325. Not fast but this is my first game at Immortal as I normally play Emp.

Spoiler :
Very peaceful game, stole a worker from Askia and nuked him at the end for the sake of it, but no one ever declared on me nor became an issue. Bro'd out with Ethiopia, Venice, Inca and Assyria. Darius got wiped out by Atilla almost immediately and hatred of Atilla became the world's bonding ritual. Got Shinto through Religious Idols but let Venice give me Catholicism instead of spreading it.

Only got national wonders and one or two WWs. I think Sydney and Porcelain. Nothing crucial, just because. SPs were Trad - > Patronage - > Rationalism and I opened Freedom, which I pushed as World Ideology and had my whole friendship bloc following it. Askia went Order, Atilla autocracy.

I feel like the previous mentions of how much room there is to expand are extremely on point, as I never felt pressured to found anything quickly and only stuck at 4 cities because I was not sure how Immortal would go over.

It was a fun enough game and I'm looking forward to the next series installment

Spoiler :

Played it. Science vic on 324. Not fast but this is my first game at Immortal as I normally play Emp.

Spoiler :
Very peaceful game, stole a worker from Askia and nuked him at the end for the sake of it, but no one ever declared on me nor became an issue. Bro'd out with Ethiopia, Venice, Inca and Assyria. Darius got wiped out by Atilla almost immediately and hatred of Atilla became the world's bonding ritual. Got Shinto through Religious Idols but let Venice give me Catholicism instead of spreading it.

Only got national wonders and one or two WWs. I think Sydney and Porcelain. Nothing crucial, just because. SPs were Trad - > Patronage - > Rationalism and I opened Freedom, which I pushed as World Ideology and had my whole friendship bloc following it. Askia went Order, Atilla autocracy.

I feel like the previous mentions of how much room there is to expand are extremely on point, as I never felt pressured to found anything quickly and only stuck at 4 cities because I was not sure how Immortal would go over.

It was a fun enough game and I'm looking forward to the next series installment

Congratulations to your first Immortal victory! :goodjob:

glory7 - what turn did you finish the Stonehendge? Pachakuti got it the turn I was about to build it.
So SS is out of question, there is a reason its almost impossible to do that on Immortal ...
Looking at your BO, I guess you got it later than T40, I got t1 culture ruin, t2 - pottery, then beelined Calender, chopped one forest with theh worker I got T8 from Gao. Maybe I could stop growth and chop another forest, but meh ...

Spoiler :

So there goes my SS attempt :)

gratz Arathlo! What did take that long? I see u got huge cities.

In order to beat T300 with only 4 cities you usually need the following or a combination thereof:

Multiple rounds of RA's with PT and Rationalism policy
Lots of faith for purchasing GS's
Good GS generation throughout the game (policies and buildings that enhance GP rate)
Hubble

It's hard to come in much below T300 without these. It also helps greatly to have gold to rush buy science buildings (in your capital at least) as soon as you research the tech, and to have cities next to mountain tiles for the observatory (particularly your capital).

Congratulations to your first Immortal victory! :goodjob:

Good job arathlo! Welcome to immortal lvl! :)

It only gets more fun from here! :D

Thanks

gratz Arathlo! What did take that long? I see u got huge cities.

Iunno. Probably bad GS timings and usage. I haven't played BNW science vics before here either, so it's a learning process. Last science vic before this was back in G&K. I normally just let Diplo happen because of how quick and easy it is. Didn't want to for a challenge like this on a new diff level so I just denied the AI it and went for space.

glory7 - what turn did you finish the Stonehendge? Pachakuti got it the turn I was about to build it.
So SS is out of question, there is a reason its almost impossible to do that on Immortal ...
Looking at your BO, I guess you got it later than T40, I got t1 culture ruin, t2 - pottery, then beelined Calender, chopped one forest with theh worker I got T8 from Gao. Maybe I could stop growth and chop another forest, but meh ...

Spoiler :

So there goes my SS attempt :)

Spoiler :

Your early game sequence is exactly the same as mine - T1 culture, T2 pottery, and something like T8 worker steal (I guess we followed the same scouting path).

For t40 Stonehenge, there's nothing we can do about it when that happens =( usually AIs don't go for stonehenge early, but if that happens....

my backup plan for the case I miss stonehenge was to just go for domination. As capital position was not very great for growing big (it's coastal and got 4 fish tiles, which is amazing for early growth, but it only has about 15 worthwhile tiles to work on, and didn't have mountain. Also, potential coastal expo spots are so-so), I'd prefer kill'em all rush.

My plan would have been
1. settle 2nd city as a forward city near songhai cap (same as this game)
2. settle 3rd (NW of cap, truffle), 4th city (S of cap, on gold), 5th city (near Assyria, on gem and use that choke point terrain)
3. Use CB to finish Songhai, and go for inca and venice. Go for west with Xbows and Frigates.

After winning my first Immortal game not too long ago, and utterly failing at Deity level, I decided to give this a go.

I only played up to Turn 68

Spoiler :
Considering the starting position, I decided to be bold and not build a Scout, going straight for a Monument. My warrior (later Spearman) did all the exploring to the north. So far, seems like it was a good decision.

With all the Gold, I quickly went for a Shrine and Stonehenge for the Religious Idols pantheon (as it turned out, only the Shrine was needed). Considering building the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus and the Oracle, but the Songhai have a surprisingly strong army.

Besides getting Tradition policies and opening Piety, I also opened Honor, expecting plenty of barbarians. While it was useful in keeping my Spearman alive, Askia's army pretty much ensured that no more Barbarians would pop up.

I wish I could have more time to delve into this, but I'm going on holidays tomorrow for a week, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to.

Top Bottom