The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #14 France

It is good, but so is 3 culture per wonder (if you get wonders :p), that amount to a good number after +tourism buildings.

If I pass that one (too soon?), I am giving the world's number 1 culture guy more culture. I will already have lots of culture and wont need that as much as I need Tourism.

Spoiler :

Absolutely disgusted with how I finished. I should have had it around the time I won the IG but I overshot the diplomacy modifiers and Cathy become angry and didn't want to allow open borders. Making me unable to bomb. Meanwhile the only Portuguese city that my trade routes could reach ended up being razed and that added another 30 turns to finish time. Which I simply did not want, given how terribly it played out. Otherwise, I would have finished without National Visitor Center and without the Internet

@Stormtrooper

Spoiler :
Cathy didn't wanna give me OB either. So I DoW'ed her and sent Stevie Wonder into no-man's land.

Spoiler :

That's what I did. But once it was all said and done, I was still 5-6 turns away from influencing Portugal, and it's unlikely I'd have survived Cossacks that long :p

@Stormtrooper

Spoiler :
Remember that Portugal would have gotten some of the bomb into Russia. Would that not have tipped both over into Influential?

Spoiler :
This was a really easy culture game. Went to the southern hill for huge early production. I I got an early army for camps. 4 city liberty NC(83), ToA, Pyramids, oracle, mausoleum. I then took most of Maya and Marocco to stop their religions and take their wonders. Then I got every culture wonder with some great engineers. I miscalculated badly and got way more science and tourism than needed. I only really needed hotels and radio to win. Cultural heritage sites was voted down, I got arts funding, and then there was no time for international games. Finished turn 235 but on a replay you can get it down to around 200 I think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnk0ozypdn4h3vr/2015-01-25_00001.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4jsuhmplpkw4nd/2015-01-25_00002.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qnwhvulk6uvice/2015-01-27_00001.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yoveoudcoa730w/2015-01-27_00002.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4jsuhmplpkw4nd/2015-01-25_00002.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjbt9dwjnpfxtyc/QuickSave.Civ5Save?dl=0

I started this game hoping to try for a culture win on Immortal for the very first time.
I did pretty well for most of the game, though at the start had a few issues with deciding whether to prioritize culture or science: as a result I had a couple of unworked university slots. Still, the internal trade routes I was running allowed me to become first in tech sometime during the renaissance.

This whole time, I was paying off civs near me to war with each other, mainly paying russia (who was really far from me with a large military) to attack them. This plan backfired when they took out atilla and the shoshone, the two neighbors I was most worried about, but became a massive runaway.

Still, I was ahead in tech at the time, and my tourism was great, so I wasnt too worried. So I stopped really checking the demographics, and when I looked back some turns later somehow russia skyrocketed in science, ending up 20 techs ahead of me!

I tried to get my culture to influential over them without war, because I reasoned that 20 techs was too much of an advantage, so tried to race them via culture while they pumped SS parts. I ended up influential over everyone but russia and was working on getting to internet before buying up musicians on turn 325 when russia launched. =(

I guess I should've bit the bullet and DoWed them when they took their second capital, but I felt weak at the time, having grabbed all the culture/science techs rather than the military ones.

Spoiler :

I started this game hoping to try for a culture win on Immortal for the very first time.
I did pretty well for most of the game, though at the start had a few issues with deciding whether to prioritize culture or science: as a result I had a couple of unworked university slots. Still, the internal trade routes I was running allowed me to become first in tech sometime during the renaissance.

This whole time, I was paying off civs near me to war with each other, mainly paying russia (who was really far from me with a large military) to attack them. This plan backfired when they took out atilla and the shoshone, the two neighbors I was most worried about, but became a massive runaway.

Still, I was ahead in tech at the time, and my tourism was great, so I wasnt too worried. So I stopped really checking the demographics, and when I looked back some turns later somehow russia skyrocketed in science, ending up 20 techs ahead of me!

I tried to get my culture to influential over them without war, because I reasoned that 20 techs was too much of an advantage, so tried to race them via culture while they pumped SS parts. I ended up influential over everyone but russia and was working on getting to internet before buying up musicians on turn 325 when russia launched. =(

I guess I should've bit the bullet and DoWed them when they took their second capital, but I felt weak at the time, having grabbed all the culture/science techs rather than the military ones.

Spoiler :

413 tpt is simply not going to cut it if it's late... 700 bpt at that turn time is also quite low. To win with just 400tpt on deity you'd need to have it around t220ish even... and pray the culture runaways have only 30k (which is not going to happen that often)
(should've aimed for at least 600-700tpt if you're going to go for t300+... on immortal getting 4-digit tpt is quite easy to do); how many wonders did you build and did you theme them?

Though mind you, you were quite unlucky too... people have gotten away with winning much later than t324 even on deity challenges. It's very rare for immortal AI to win this "early".

If I pass that one (too soon?), I am giving the world's number 1 culture guy more culture. I will already have lots of culture and wont need that as much as I need Tourism.

Nah... modifiers for tpt (hotels+airport+NVC) x (media culture+IG+Internet) x (OB+TR+religion+diplomat+carnival if Brazil) I'm not sure where world religion gets added though...

is much, much higher than modifiers for cpt once you crunch the numbers out. In the end, the amount of tourism you gain later in the game and from GM bombs far outweighs the extra culture AIs make such that to me it makes no significant difference whether you pass it early or late.
(Hermitage+Sistine+Alhambra+broadcast tower+SOH) x (golden age)

I generally just pass it to get it done and over with; and on immortal you're the one with the most WWs anyway most likely. This allows you to open aesthetics faster, get exploration for Louvre, get Commerce for BB, get media culture AND still finish Rat, all the while winning CS quests for culture.

I played this a week ago, but forgot to write it up afterwards, so I will just state what I remember. I managed to keep Atilla off of my back by bribing him into one war after another with Carthage, the Shoshone, Portugal and Russia. Those 5 civs were fighting with each other the whole game in various permutations. Eventually Atilla wiped out the Shoshone and Carthage took most of Portugal, but Portugal's residual culture was my biggest hurdle to overcome.

I had to fight off Pacal around t110, but he only had pikemen and XBs so my cities + XBs were pretty easily able to stem that assault. Once I got to the Modern Era, Atilla finally declared war on me, but I was getting a Freedom tier 2 tenet the next turn, so my foreign legions - instantly upgraded to infantry - crushed his riflemen with little difficulty. Near the end of the game, I got a message that Didio was going to attack me, but I bribed her to attack Atilla instead, so I didn't have to fight her. I ended up DoWing Morocco on the last turn to get my musicians into his borders because he wouldn't sell me open borders.

I did accomplish the Notre Dame/Louvre/Eiffel Tower in Paris. Paris's production was good in the early game, but not so good in the late game. I stupidly lost my religion in Paris because I forgot to buy an inquisitor and park him next to the city. Fortunately I still had another city where I could faith buy people, or I might have had to go for a diplo or science victory.

Attachments

• 2015-02-21_00002.jpg
    2015-02-21_00002.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 2015-02-21_00003.jpg
    2015-02-21_00003.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 2015-02-21_00005.jpg
    2015-02-21_00005.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 144
I stupidly lost my religion in Paris because I forgot to buy an inquisitor and park him next to the city. Fortunately I still had another city where I could faith buy people, or I might have had to go for a diplo or science victory.

Do you mean that you didn't finish Aesthetics, but took Glory of God as a reformation???

Because you can still faith buy musicians even if the religion in the city is not your city, right?

Well because the purpose was to play with 8 and test it otherwise I would just not have made 8...

Here it is:
Turn 238 as predicted with a 8city NC :p
Spoiler :

Time to do it the old fashioned way
Did you peacefully expand to 8 cities and the AI's just sat there and watched?

I actually never done a CV with Liberty going that wide, so I might try that. What was that 8 city NC timing?

It's too old, something like turn 90 with a GE for NC.
Yeah, I can imagine 8-city NC would cost a lot of hammers. Do you think it is possible to do 3-4-city NC and then expand more? How are AI's expanding in this game? Also, was any of them pissed that you build cities too aggressively?

I want to do 8 cities, but I also want to save GE for Notre Dame, since I have never built it. :lol: But I also want to make sure I get 8 cities and that neither Pacal, nor Ahmad grab the city spots. Maybe I can spam scouts and block possible city locations.

Top Bottom