Unique Units!?

LordGek

Prince
Hey Gang,

While I realize that many Civs have unique units, much akin to the PC Civ games, I'm still not clear if these differences in CivRev are just graphical (I can't find any information on the stats of the uniques in the Civopedia)?

Essentially what the Unique Unit is, is taking the exact same unit, but renaming it. There's no stat increase, Sadly. :(

Well, I would add that not surely, they have a better "hide" attack but I'm not sure about this. In 2k games, one of the 2k admin told us that then, maybe it could be right, maybe wrong. However, perhaps they should win more times.

Well, I would add that not surely, they have a better "hide" attack but I'm not sure about this. In 2k games, one of the 2k admin told us that then, maybe it could be right, maybe wrong. However, perhaps they should win more times.

:confused: "hide" attack?

But there are SOME differences...like the Impi getting a move of 2 and German bombers getting a +1 to movement. I'm hoping there are more than just those two.

And as a side note, I have to say I'm finding the Civopedia in this game sorely lacking. No listing of the uniques, being rather vague and hazy with stuff like the resources (like with the wheat where they'll tell you the required tech and that it adds food...but now how much). AT THE SAME TIME, however, they can have detailed listings for "Acrobats" (complete with pictures, a little movie, etc.) even though I don't think there is ANY sort of unit, tech, wonder, or any other game element that has anything to do with acrobats.

:confused: "hide" attack?

But there are SOME differences...like the Impi getting a move of 2 and German bombers getting a +1 to movement. I'm hoping there are more than just those two.

And as a side note, I have to say I'm finding the Civopedia in this game sorely lacking. No listing of the uniques, being rather vague and hazy with stuff like the resources (like with the wheat where they'll tell you the required tech and that it adds food...but now how much). AT THE SAME TIME, however, they can have detailed listings for "Acrobats" (complete with pictures, a little movie, etc.) even though I don't think there is ANY sort of unit, tech, wonder, or any other game element that has anything to do with acrobats.

I mean that they can MAYBE win more times than other units, and about that, there are also english. Germans get veteran upgrade for warriors, nothing else.

Then why do they have special units? Like the American special units have no power and they look exactly the same so what is the point of having them? I think that civs should only have unique units if one of there powers effect that unit like the Sameri Knights, Longbow Archers, Hoplites, ect. And the Arabians should have a unique unit that replaces horesman and knights because they get +1 attack. Once the unique units have unique powers tied to the civ they sould at least make them look unique.

The unique units have NO special abilities. When they seem to, it is normally because of a *Civ* ability, like the English get +1 Longbow Archer defense. It's not the *unit*, it's the "Civ".

Yeah, I have to say whomever thought to give each civ a few random units with unique names ALTHOUGH they're no different than all other civs same units should be SHOT. You are very correct as, in the example of the Impli, it states their ancient ability is that their warriors get +1 to movement. :(

The unique units have NO special abilities. When they seem to, it is normally because of a *Civ* ability, like the English get +1 Longbow Archer defense. It's not the *unit*, it's the "Civ".

Being a mod doesn't mean knowing everything. I played more than 700 games and one of 2k said that. Special Units should get a little advantage in rolling the dice (when the random factor comes).

These civs bonuses, as english, japanese, etc, are another help to them surely.

Fortunately, I've never claimed to know everything. ;)

I'm just repeating what 2K has said, and what, to the best of my knowledge, has been demonstrated true.

To say that some of the uniques get special magical advantages that are not there via their stated stas sounds along the line of the blowgun barbarians being clearly tougher than the hulking brutes. Maybe there are differences but if so they're kept very secretive and sure as heck not displayed in the stated odds as the battles play out.

Is there a way to skip the combat animations? I actually kind of like them and often find myself at the edge of my seat thinking, "Finish Him!!" as one of my guys makes the final lunge at a barbarian...but I could see eventually wanting to just skip to the results.

On the DS I can press the "A" key to skip. Should be something similar with any console.

I am pretty sure there is no way to do this on the X-box or at least I haven't found it yet. It is the only thing better about the DS version. The battle animations on the consoles are cool but get booring when you have a huge stack of units waiting to get into combat.

I am pretty sure there is no way to do this on the X-box or at least I haven't found it yet. It is the only thing better about the DS version. The battle animations on the consoles are cool but get booring when you have a huge stack of units waiting to get into combat.

I also now have learned to appreciate the FULL information provided on each space of terrain in the DS (yield amounts as well as defensive bonuses and full info on what could be gained from the specific special resource on that space. I have yet to see any way to get such a complete summation of a terrain space on the 360 other than having to wander by that terrain type with a settler (who will always highlight all of the yields in the spaces surrounding them).

I'm starting to think there might be other advantages with the DS, beyond being portable. Sure it lacks some of the flash and extra content, but in letting you see so much information in such a compact minimalistic form, it has some advantages.

I also now have learned to appreciate the FULL information provided on each space of terrain in the DS (yield amounts as well as defensive bonuses and full info on what could be gained from the specific special resource on that space. I have yet to see any way to get such a complete summation of a terrain space on the 360 other than having to wander by that terrain type with a settler (who will always highlight all of the yields in the spaces surrounding them).

I'm starting to think there might be other advantages with the DS, beyond being portable. Sure it lacks some of the flash and extra content, but in letting you see so much information in such a compact minimalistic form, it has some advantages.

Yes, but I think the other shortcommings with the DS would overrule the way you can see the benefits of terrain types easily, such as
Lack of civilopedia
You can't see the population of a city from world view
It is hard to tell a hill from a mountain
Incredibly boring battle animations
You can't sell units back for money
Setteled great people are almost impossible to distinguish from another
The graphics for buildings are wacko-looking
And many more. Of cource these things don't interfere with the play of the game, but it makes the game funner.

Also, a better thing about the DS is that the X-box would freeze all the times during the middle of battels and I had to loose al my progress. The DS barely ever freezes;)

Top Bottom