Unofficial BTS 3.13 patch

@KaytieKat

The vassal can still hate the masster as his worst enemy. Bhuric changed it so that once the master kicks butt and forces a capitulation, that vassal is no longer the worst enemy of the master.

The only affect to gameplay is that civs don't take diplo hits from the master for trading with the vassal.

Hi

I think it depends on the reason why they were vassalized. If they are friendly and offer to be a vassal for protection then yeah they wouldnt be and that wouldnt be an issue I dont think.

BUT if you have just been kicking the you know what out of them and they capitulate just to keep from being wiped out then OF COURSE that vassal is gonna be your worst enemy. I mean who would they hate MORE than the civ that not only has been taking their territory, raising/capturing their cites and has now just took away their freedom? And why wouldn't they want to break free the FIRST chance they get?

Now if maybe during course of game one civ been enemies for so long and has gotten TONS of negative dpilo hits with each other that they hate that civ most even after you take em over. OK thats one thing but autmatically "forcing" it doesnt make much sense to me :/.

I am not sure why you did it. I *think* maybe it is to avoid getting the "we refuse to trade with you our worst enemy" for demanding techs or maps or something. But you can already demand resources and their being vassals now prevent them from doing spy missions on you plus you get all the other benefits of having vassal that it seems like their should be some kind of negative for having a vassal who really doesnt like you and only submitted in order to keep you from wiping them out. And having them not willing to rade maps or techs seems to be ok.

And if this change suddenly makes it LESS unlikely that the vassal will take the opportunity to break free as soon as the meet the conditions to break away then it seems like this would be changing the game balance very much. Since it would allow you to keep vassals artificially that within game play you really shouldnt be able to keep.

Anyways thats just my opinion. I hope I am not sounding mean.

Kaytie

PS

I am kinda glad this spefici topic came up because in my current game I am having vassals break free even when they DONT meet the conditions. It is like I have a vassal who just capitulated and then 5 turns later I vassalize another civ and my first vassal who only captulated 5 turns ago announces they have broken free even though they are nowhere near the conditions to break free. So it is like the game is only allowing one vassal. I am wondering if this might be something related to nay changes made in how the vassals act--like in forcing them to change attitude somehow made attitional unintended changes?
I believe you are misunderstanding Bhruic:
The Vassal can still regard the Master as his worst enemy, the Master can no longer regard the vassal as his worst enemy.
All you are saying assumes that the Vassal's behavior has changed, it has not.

Hi

OOPS ok my bad I'm sorry. but there is ONE thing though. I JUST did a lil test. I went back and and loaded a aut save of my current game. Using buhircs dll. I vassalized the civ I am at war with and like before my current vassal broke free. I THEN exited put back the "offical" 3.13 dll and reload that auto save and vassalized the civ I am at war with. And this time the vassal did NOT break free.

So it does seem like there is some kind of change to the vassal behavior or something that is making vassals break free automatically as soon as another civ becomes your vassal :/.

Kaytie

Hi

OOPS ok my bad I'm sorry. but there is ONE thing though. I JUST did a lil test. I went back and and loaded a aut save of my current game. Using buhircs dll. I vassalized the civ I am at war with and like before my current vassal broke free. I THEN exited put back the "offical" 3.13 dll and reload that auto save and vassalized the civ I am at war with. And this time the vassal did NOT break free.

So it does seem like there is some kind of change to the vassal behavior or something that is making vassals break free automatically as soon as another civ becomes your vassal :/.

Kaytie
you might want to post this save here - or else whatever it cannot be fixed ;)

Hi

Guess I am having blonde day to day hehe. I went to head of thread and saw newest version. And then saw one of changes listed as "fixed vassal/captiulation" so I downloaded that and retried the game and this time I didnt lose my first vassal when the second civ captulated. So if it was an issue with this it already been fixed I just wasnt paying attention :/

I apologize for all the trouble.

Kaytie

I have 3.13 and the unofficial patch, I have exactly the same vassal problem that KaytieKat described in my current game. Save attached (hopefully if I did it right). I have had cyrus as a capitulated vassal for a long time. Both Hannibal and Victoria have had a good kicking and are ready to capitulate. If I ask Hannibal what he wants for peace he will offer capitulation, and if I accept I get 'deal cancelled: capitulation from cyrus' and he is freed. Then do the same thing with Victoria and Hannibal gets freed :crazyeye:

Two other things to mention, don't know if this is relevant but: Victoria was Hannibal's capitulated vassal until quite recently, maybe 4-5 turns ago. Also if you ask Victoria what she wants for peace first, before Hannibal, capitulation is not there - I don't mean redded-out, I mean just not there at all - weird!

Edit: Yay, latest version of the unofficial patch has fixed it!

Attachments

• LegionSteve AD-1940.CivBeyondSwordSave
    465.1 KB · Views: 88
what do i have to do to make this unofficial patch work once ive downloaded it?

Copy CvGameCoreDll.dll to the Beyond the Swords assets (not custom assets) directory and over write the file there. The rest of the files in the zip are only there for modders.

Forts on top of a resource in an isolated island with a road used to give access to the resource, with patch 3.03 (with and without Solver's patch). Now with 3.13 (with and without Bhruic's patch) it no longer happens. It seems to be a bug introduced with 3.13.

I don't know if this can be fixed with the unofficial patch.

Link to the screenshot and the savegame of the bug:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6095655#post6095655

Your fort still needs to be connected to the city. If it really worked without connection in 3.03 then that was a bug and they fixed it in 3.13, not the other way round.

The main problem, however (and an area where Firaxis deserves some serious kudos) is that most games don't offload core game rules to a dll. That means that any patching modifies the executable, which is a big "no-no" in today's "let's bog down every executable with craploads of copy-protection" world.

Bh

We have Soren to thank for that (and whichever programmer suggested it to him). Soren is no longer at Firaxis, and I think the design of the messy espionage elements reflects this change in direction. Soren also took "general anybody's" in to test the released product in a private forum and offered frequent updates. It was casual fun and excellent. Everything seemed to change when Soren left though I obviously don't know if he was lead on BtS or had much input in the beginning.

What I kind of thought is there were suffering major burnout, and in this circumstance a good management team would identity this and force a one or two week vacation. As such, they notify the waiting public on patches that a break was needed to keep the team from going crazy and to get refreshed, then they'd be back on task and better than ever a bug-stomping. Of course, I believe Firaxis PR is pretty clueless. Gamers might be feisty, but we sure are understanding and appreciative of effort. But fragging things out with no communication isn't any fun. :confused:

Bhruic - because of your patches I spent way too much time playing Civ these past 2 weeks. My wife hates the ghost of the person who fixes my game...

Copy CvGameCoreDll.dll to the Beyond the Swords assets (not custom assets) directory and over write the file there. The rest of the files in the zip are only there for modders.

sorry i dont really understand that. all i did was save it to the Patch folder where all my other patch folders are.

sorry i dont really understand that. all i did was save it to the Patch folder where all my other patch folders are.

If you locate the zipped folder you downloaded, and open it, you will see a file called readme.txt. It contains the directions you need to apply this patch - and I will quote it here:

"Installation Instructions

This dll replaces the one located at "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll"
It is recommended to backup your current dll file (renaming it will work fine) before installing this version. Simply copy the new
version into the same folder, making sure the game isn't currently running. After that, simply play the game!

The source code for the changes is also included in a separate folder (SDK Source). If you are not a modder, you do not need those
files. There is no need to extract them from the zip file."

Any time you download a patch like this, you should check for a readme.txt file. It's called that because you should read it to find the directions for installing the patch, and for other useful information. For example, it also contains all the release notes, telling you all the great fixes contained in the patch.

Hope this helps. :)
Amy

I am still on Bhruic 1.09 and just noticed the following indications. As you may see, the culture display for the city mouse over is different from the in-city-view, as on the map obviously the basic value is used.

I am not sure if this is due to Bhruic's patches or (what I would assume) is a general little bug. Just wanted to make it known.

As the game is with a mod (which shouldn't change the display problem) I will not upload the save until requested to do so.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0184b.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0184b.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Civ4ScreenShot0185b.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0185b.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 150
I am still on Bhruic 1.09 and just noticed the following indications. As you may see, the culture display for the city mouse over is different from the in-city-view, as on the map obviously the basic value is used.

Hm, the only difference I can spot is the cultural value of 7 vs 7.25. Seems the city mouseover uses a rounded value. Not sure if I'd qualify that as a bug.

If you locate the zipped folder you downloaded, and open it, you will see a file called readme.txt. It contains the directions you need to apply this patch - and I will quote it here:

"Installation Instructions

This dll replaces the one located at "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll"
It is recommended to backup your current dll file (renaming it will work fine) before installing this version. Simply copy the new
version into the same folder, making sure the game isn't currently running. After that, simply play the game!

The source code for the changes is also included in a separate folder (SDK Source). If you are not a modder, you do not need those
files. There is no need to extract them from the zip file."

Any time you download a patch like this, you should check for a readme.txt file. It's called that because you should read it to find the directions for installing the patch, and for other useful information. For example, it also contains all the release notes, telling you all the great fixes contained in the patch.

Hope this helps. :)
Amy

Ya I did read it but the problem is I don't really understand it. Is it saying I should save it into a different folder other than Patch folder?

Hi. Thanks so much for the patches. Saw this issue with workers and long load times mentioned earlier, but since not many have commented I will add my experiences. I have now tried two immortal games on small maps since patching, and I think an emperor or two.

The patch is clearly working as my workers are no longer sitting in the town when they could be building railroads. But load times literally take 1 to 5 minutes apiece when multiple computers are at war with one another. I've noticed my screen stopping on my own automated workers as well when I am at war... as if it is attempting to identify their paths.

This has pretty much rendered any game past about 1500 ad unplayable when multiple wars are being fought. I am running on a dual core processor on a pretty new computer. Is anyone else experiencing this? This doesn't just appear a bugged worker or two. It seems to be many workers... perhaps any of them that are placed in a particular situation with enemies nearby? This doesn't seem to be situational, but is happening every game.

Top Bottom