Rhye's and Fall

ajsciri4

Warlord
Amazing, simply amazing!! I loved every second of it. My first campaign was Rome. I built Rome to a point where I destroyed the Gauls and had all of their land, sent Carthage into unstability, and pretty much was a thriving culture. I soon found my Praetorians fighting off hordes of barbarians but I beat them all back. There's only one thing I was confused about.
I know it's rising and falling of empires, but what if an empire doesn't have a reason to fall? As Rome, none of my cities were unhappy, and they were all healthy. I'm technologically advanced and I'm certain everything was fine everywhere. Suddenly, my four cities in Gaul wanted to declare independence. Well, I wanted to keep them, so I said no, so France rose up to take over. After a very bloody war (in which after defeating most French units, my own units rebelled against me and joined France... even though I sent them from Rome itself...) I lost a few cities, and gradually every city besides Rome gained independence. I'm not upset with this, I was amazed at how realistic it was. The only thing I was concerned about was that there was no reason for this, so if I were to somehow recreate my empire, am I just going to lose everything?
Also, the weirdest things just happened. Spain came into Sicily and took an independent city that rebelled from me. Then they gave me it for free. The French then did the same thing with the city that rebelled a few tiles north of Rome. Uh, what?

The flip of your cities to france happened because france spawned a couple turns ago and for each civ, 2 turns after they span all cities within a certain radius will flip to them. As the human, you can refuse the flip. If you reconquer all their cities, they'll stay yours for a long time, although late-game they may revolt again. However, your units won't flip to them when you declare on them.

Yep, be aware of spawn dates and spawn areas. However, the spawns provide interesting opportunities to switch to new civs during the game. For instance, you can win the Rome UHV and set things up so that you switch to Spain or France when they spawn, but leave a good stack of units nearby, especially workers, that will switch over to you. Of course, build up those cities you owned as Rome nicely beforehand as well.

You have to watch out for those spawns. I usually just clear my units out, wait 10 turns and then reconquer them or leave them. You'll have problems with London, your French cities and Spanish cities. The problem with fighting the spawn is that half of your soldiers, no matter where made, will join the spawning Civ. So it gets to be a slog. If you visit the RFC subforum, you'll find out about the various spawn areas, but they're pretty much where you'd imagine.

Where your stability really matters is preventing respawns. Some Civs, like China, seem to act like yo-yos, spawn-collapse-respawn-collapse-respawn. If your stability isn't good areas like China or India are painful to try and hold.

If you're going for Rome's UHV, you just have to avoid losing a city to barbarians - losing cities to spawns is OK. My cities in France, Spain and England are usually just unit pumps - minimal building. Why should France and Spain benefit.

Rome, Greece and Persia really benefit from the Great Wall. But remember the GW doesn't keep out natives, so it's nearly useless for some Civs.

It is a great mod. For me, it's the best mod.

I played it few nights ago. I agree with ajsciri4: it is really funny.

I also played with Rome and built the Great Wall. So, no more barbarian and I had a quite short war with french, when an "independent leader" (maybe coming from an internal revolt?) wiped out french. Then I wiped out the independent leader.

Now the game is stuck: no one can make war against another and I'm looking forward to the Dutch...

I played it few nights ago. I agree with ajsciri4: it is really funny.

I also played with Rome and built the Great Wall. So, no more barbarian and I had a quite short war with french, when an "independent leader" (maybe coming from an internal revolt?) wiped out french. Then I wiped out the independent leader.

Now the game is stuck: no one can make war against another and I'm looking forward to the Dutch...

Dutch will be a cakewalk - just avoid war. It's one of the easiest UHV's.

Your example is how I often get my expansion - once a Civ collapses you can take out the Independents easier without diplo hits - nobody cares. As Japan I like to settle a city in China's core area. This speeds China's collapse. Quite often just taking a city or two from a rival civ will make them unstable and collapse.

One thing with the Great Wall for Rome - Europe and Africa are different continents. I usually keep a couple of anti-horse units in my African cities.

...ehr... :blush: I don't find wherever the site what's "UHV" stand for...

I will stack cannons to try to attack Amsterdam. I'm quite a noob and I would like to experiment some ways into this great mod.

In my world China has been defeated yet.

I don't find wherever the site what's "UHV" stand for...
Unique Historical Victory
A new victory type, changes from civ to civ.

I will stack cannons to try to attack Amsterdam.
It's easy, trying to take Amsterdam. And cannons come with gunpowder in RFC, and have 10:strength: instead of 12

Unique Historical Victory
A new victory type, changes from civ to civ.

Thank you Akbarthegreat. I read them in the Victory Condition panel but I don't understand the UHV for Rome.

Anyway I was horsing around central europe when I realized that germans have disappeared! Many Independents has taken place instead.

So why bother with Dutch? Within few turns I took Berlin and another city, but Dutch did the same and took Hamburg, near Berlin... :mad:

Five more turns and I'll get "Military Tradition". Cavalry will be my new weapon that will face the Dutch.

Thank you Akbarthegreat. I read them in the Victory Condition panel but I don't understand the UHV for Rome.

Anyway I was horsing around central europe when I realized that germans have disappeared! Many Independents has taken place instead.

So why bother with Dutch? Within few turns I took Berlin and another city, but Dutch did the same and took Hamburg, near Berlin... :mad:

Five more turns and I'll get "Military Tradition". Cavalry will be my new weapon that will face the Dutch.
The germans collapsed because their stability was too low, so they went into a bunch of independent states.

Germany and other imperialistic civs often tend to collapse. Willem should not have too large an army, he just loves colonizing around the globe, leaving Amsterdam with a few longbows.

I read them in the Victory Condition panel but I don't understand the UHV for Rome.
Roman UHV:
1. By so and so years, Build 5 barracks, 5 aqueducts and 5 amphitheatres

Quite straightforward. Just build the above mentioned buildings, whip them in food rich places.

2. Also by so and so years, Emulate (at least) the reaches of the Western Roman Empire: (at least) three cities in France, two on west coast of northern Africa, two in Spain, one in England.

http://rhye.civfanatics.net/civ4/rfc-atlas.htm

3. Before so and so years, no city should have been captured by barbarians.

Build the great wall. Without it, building a large empire along with a lot of troops for defense is too tough.

Willem should not have too large an army, he just loves colonizing around the globe, leaving Amsterdam with a few longbows.

So, if I conquer Amsterdam, probably I will not destroy the Dutch and thus, Amsterdam will flip?

Roman UHV:
1. By so and so years, Build 5 barracks, 5 aqueducts and 5 amphitheatres

Quite straightforward. Just build the above mentioned buildings, whip them in food rich places.

2. Also by so and so years, Emulate (at least) the reaches of the Western Roman Empire: (at least) three cities in France, two on west coast of northern Africa, two in Spain, one in England.

http://rhye.civfanatics.net/civ4/rfc-atlas.htm

3. Before so and so years, no city should have been captured by barbarians.

Build the great wall. Without it, building a large empire along with a lot of troops for defense is too tough.

I've done only the point 3. right now. I've got also the GW. I'l try the point 1.

So, if I conquer Amsterdam, probably I will not destroy the Dutch and thus, Amsterdam will flip?

I've done only the point 3. right now. I've got also the GW. I'l try the point 1.

There is a time limit to the UHV's: on the right, the x/3 sign, if the one next to your name is greyed out, you can't achieve the UHV. But, i think if you still fulfill 2 of them, you can get your golden age.

I see that my sign is greyed so I can't achieve the UHV. Never mind. I destroyed the Dutch (they had only two cities) and also the Greek. Now I'll try to pass through Turkish, Egiptyian and finally Cartaghe.

Maybe I set a difficulty level too low...

I see that my sign is greyed so I can't achieve the UHV. Never mind. I destroyed the Dutch (they had only two cities) and also the Greek. Now I'll try to pass through Turkish, Egiptyian and finally Cartaghe.

Maybe I set a difficulty level too low...

Quite often, in order to accomplish the UHV's you have to do things differently than you would in a normal game. All the other victory conditions are available as well.

Some of the UHV's are quite easy, such as the Dutch. Ethiopia is quite hard. Ottomans can be confusing because you have to put in a couple of garbage cities in order to count as "controlling" the region.

Don't attack another civ within 10 turns of their spawning. Half of your troops will defect to them, making war very frustrating. Also, be careful in your conquering. If you expand too much outside of your historical area you can become unstable and collapse, losing most of your hard-won cities. There are a couple of ways around this - setting up your civics for maximum stability or some people give away cities to their vassals.

Don't attack another civ within 10 turns of their spawning. Half of your troops will defect to them, making war very frustrating. Also, be careful in your conquering. If you expand too much outside of your historical area you can become unstable and collapse, losing most of your hard-won cities. There are a couple of ways around this - setting up your civics for maximum stability or some people give away cities to their vassals.

I know this. I think one of the best feature against Civ3 is the expansion system. My stable/unstable indicator (F2) give me a stable condition but the City indicator has only two stars...

I have to destroy all the conquered cities. For now nobody want to become my vassal.

Ethiopia and Egypt are usually easily peacevassaled as Rome as they have weak military and are under pressure/at war with the native leaders, and you have a strong military.

Ethiopia and Egypt are usually easily peacevassaled as Rome as they have weak military and are under pressure/at war with the native leaders, and you have a strong military.

Also, Mali when they show up. But large empires shouldn't have a problem until they get close to 30 or so cities if you use the Police State - Nationhood - State Property Civics.

Anybody know which are the UHV's of India? I see in the list above the minimap they have 2 of 3 conditions achieved. I wonder if they can win...

Now I'm pressing Egyptian with war, I'll try to force them to become my vassal.

Top Bottom