PC Gamer on Brave New World Civilizations

The reviewer said it did. And he wasn't referring to it giving the same science as a Library or else he probably wouldn't have said you should go with Tradition.

Indonesia seems to be the most interesting civ to play by a long long way. After that, I think portugal could be kind of fun.

I'm not sold on Brazil cos the UU comes too late to give GA bonuses that matter; unless the mechanics have gone beyond recognition you should be in a permaGA by then. Also I dunno if the UI gets the rationalism/commerce TP bonuses.
I'm not sold on Morocco because I'm not really a desert/arabia or defense/ethiopia kind of guy. The desert thing could change if petra or desert folklore does though.
I'm not sold on Poland cos the UB is a stables, and the UU is a cavalry replacement (even if a good one by the sounds). Also I think the UA will be weaker than others are making out due to reduced policy cost and (maybe) them not really being 'free'.
I am sold on Assyria being strong, they just sound dull as mud.
The only other one that could be kind of fun are the Zulus, but that rests entirely on the UB giving some promotions that'll make me really think about how to war with all my different units.

No it wasn't
Austria also should be totally separate from Hungary
Hungary's greatest power was in the 12-15th century, dominating all the surrounding nations. Including Austria
Spoiler :

On the attached map:
Blue border is Louis I's realm, while the pink border is Matthias Corvinus' realm
The pink territory is the core kingdom of Hungary, more or less continously ruling over all those southern Banats (including northern Serbia, Bosnia and western Wallachia), the Banats of Ozora, Só, Macsó and Severin for more than 300 years
Thanks for that, really interesting.

I never knew that Budapest was once two cities!

Question for you: did Hungary territory ever reach the Baltic Sea?

No it didn't
Glad you are interested
While I don't want this to be turned into a history thread, a couple fun-facts about the rule of Lous I (5 March 1326, Visegrád – 10 September 1382, Nagyszombat), great-grandson of Bela IV
Blue border on the map I posted.
He was one of the most active and accomplished monarchs of the Late Middle Ages, extending territorial control to the Adriatic and securing Dalmatia, with part of Bosnia, within the Holy Crown of Hungary. The rulers of Serbia, Wallachia, Moldavia, and Bulgaria became his vassals.
Louis led successful campaigns from Lithuania to southern Italy.
He spent much of his reign in wars with the Republic of Venice. He was in competition for the throne of Naples, with huge military success.
Louis is the first European monarch who came into collision with the Ottoman Turks. During his reign Hungary reached the peak of its political influence.
One of the primary sources of power of his father was the wealth derived from the gold mines of east and northern Hungary. Eventually itself the gold production of mines reached the remarkable figure of 3,000 pounds (1,400 kg) of gold annually – one third of the total production of the world as then known, and five times as much as that of any other European state. The gold coin of Hungary (the Forint), of the same weight and purity of its namesake of Florence, was clear proof of the country's prosperity. The Hungarian and Florencian coins were the most valuable coins of the age. The gold flowed in an undiminished stream into Louis' coffers, enabling him to keep a court even more splendid than his father's.
The power of the former Árpád Dynasty was still based on vast royal estates. Under the Angevins, the royal family was restored as the greatest land-owning family of the realm (they had one third of all lands), but the Angevin power was rather based on the possession of castles.
In the spring of 1346, the Hungarian King arrived with his vast Royal Army of 100,000 men...
After serials of successful battles, city and castle sieges, he was again able to control the Kingdom of Naples and its capital city. On this Neapolitan journey, Louis the Great carried gold coins equal to Hungary's six, and Europe's two years, of total gold production, with countless silver pieces piled atop them.
Although he waged a host of campaigns outside Hungary, Louis did keep peace within Hungary itself. In an era when Spain was harassed by the Arabs, France targeted by the English, Germany tormented by the rivalries of its princes, Italy the scene of bloody conflicts among its city-states, Poland and Russia the objects of Lithuanian and Tartar attacks, and Byzantium and the Balkan states subject to Turkish raids and expansion, Hungary flourished as an island of peace.

After reading this, I just asked myself one question : Aren't the Zulu an upgrade version of the Aztecs ? Just wondering ...

After reading this, I just asked myself one question : Aren't the Zulu an upgrade version of the Aztecs ? Just wondering ...

No. They're much closer to the Germans. Aztecs get one of the best UB's for growing tall, Zulu's gives unique military promotions. Aztec UA is a culture bonus, Zulus get military cost and promotion benefits. Jag warrior works nothing like the Impi, and isn't even on the same upgrade line unless you pop a ruin.

The only real similarities between the Zulu and the Aztecs is that Shaka and Monty are both psychopaths. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom