Fall from Heaven: Age of Ice

I down loaded Fall from Heaven II this morning and played it a bit...

I've never been a big fan of scenarios, so I have only one word to describe it:

WOW :goodjob:

While it requires adjustment from Civ IV to play:

I did a random start figuring I wasn't going to like it anyway and drew the Malakims.

I really liked the spell casting units. One thing I absolutely love about the units is they gain XP over time. That's just Excellent!

I was actually holding my own there for awhile until I decided to help Cassiel of the Grigori with a war on Hyborem of the Infernals. Sheesh he's one tough demon!

The first time his leaderhead popped up I almost jumped out of my chair :eek:

Thanks for a great side track from regular Civ. I've been a D&D fan for many years and this was just what the Dr. ordered!

wait a second, some of the palaces and wonders in FFH look just like certain new wonders in BTS, was this a gift from the firaxis crew when you began the project for them?

I just saw that Kael has also cowritten a modders' guide which is included in BTS.

wait a second, some of the palaces and wonders in FFH look just like certain new wonders in BTS, was this a gift from the firaxis crew when you began the project for them?

What do you mean ?

Hippus palace for one. I think.

We aren't using any BtS resources in FfH, and we didn't get any gifts of resources from the Firaxis folks (although they did get some gifts for the epic game from us).

We aren't using any BtS resources in FfH, and we didn't get any gifts of resources from the Firaxis folks (although they did get some gifts for the epic game from us).

actually i am happy that we didnt get any gifts or big help :) it makes everything AoI truly ours. and thats what its all about... our team!
I am proud of you guys :)

I am proud of me too:p

But in seriousness, we all deserve a clap on the back for a job well done (I just finished a full game of AoI, and I was bowled over by the fun factor).

Spoiler :
Yeah, that was terrible...
[TAB]Bye bye, Cevedes.

Good job folks. :goodjob:

I am just in my first game trying to figure out how to get out of my starting location. I lost my hunter hero. Ficara the north wind stumbled on him. (Never thought of getting attacked from the air). :eek:

I like the ability of archers to inflict damage on units in an adjacent tile. I hoped to see this implemented in civ4 since ever. It simply makes sense.

All in all, captivating plot, wonderful models and effects, and I am still scratching the surface wondering what may awaits me.

For the past several months, I've been playing Warlords with Blake's AI improvements. For those who don't know, his changes are brilliant. You will most likely need to drop the difficulty level. The AI on harder difficulties doesn't need to "cheat" to become a challenge.

I absolutely love the FFH2 mod, I can't stop playing it. This is the best mod that I've ever seen for any game, hand's down. My only complaint at this time is that going from Blake's AI to vanilla AI takes a bit away from the game. I look forward to playing the updated version that works with the AI changes.

Thanks for a great game!

I agree. I eagerly anticipate the upgrade to BtS for FfH II, and Blake's AI is one of the biggest reasons for that.

Hi Kael and team,

Just wanted to compliment you on a fantastic scenario. I got Age of Ice yesterday. I was going to just load it and play a couple of turns to see what it was like and then go back to my FFH .23 game, but I got sucked in! It's a very fun scenario. Actually, 'very fun' doesn't do it justice. It's amazing.

I had some questions about features, art that are included in the scenario and some other ideas it gave me that could be fun to be included in future FFH versions.

- Mark of the Scorpion: I loved the 'Children of Kylorin' and the 'mark' feature (mark of the fox, scorprion, etc). That is very cool and adds a unique twist and neat role playing element. Any chance a similar feature is going to be included in FFH?

- Random Heroes: I liked being able to start with a hero at the beginning of the game and having a selection. It made me think it would be fun if, in addition to the heroes you build, if there were random heroes in FFH who would either join you at the beginning of the game or who might offer their services periodically during the game (similar to Age of Wonders or Master of Magic)

- Avatars: Also, I was wondering about having an avatar for the character you are playing? For instance, if you are playing Kylorin, an actual Kylorin unit that you start with that has a hero promotion or some special ability. It might be neat to have a new victory condition that if your avatar is defeated you lose the game - this might help balance out getting a powerful 'free' hero unit at the start as you wouldn't want to risk your avatar in combat unless absolutley necsesary. I like the idea of having an in-game representation of the character I am playing.

- Unit Graphics: Loved some of the new graphics - frostlings, mamoths, etc. Are these going to make it into FFH?

Congratulations on a great piece of work.

Age of Ice is a great scenario, i'm really enjoying it
And the opening movie was a very nice surprise:)

The hero system was very good, i really liked the idea of starting the game with a hero and then later with the appropriate tech upgrade them, so that they stay a potent threat throughout the game and aren't mainly for the early or late game, this could be an interesting feature for the main mod...

The wheather features were really impressive and while most of the time would only prove an annoyance they could occasionaly give you a strategic advantage, i.e. walking accross the frozen lake to attack the enemy.

The leaderheads were very good. Is charadons going to be included in standard ffh aswell? And are any other leaders going to get 3d leaderheads.
Oh and Kyorlin was very impressive

:goodjob:

Age of Ice is a great scenario, i'm really enjoying it
And the opening movie was a very nice surprise:)

The hero system was very good, i really liked the idea of starting the game with a hero and then later with the appropriate tech upgrade them, so that they stay a potent threat throughout the game and aren't mainly for the early or late game, this could be an interesting feature for the main mod...

The wheather features were really impressive and while most of the time would only prove an annoyance they could occasionaly give you a strategic advantage, i.e. walking accross the frozen lake to attack the enemy.

The leaderheads were very good. Is charadons going to be included in standard ffh aswell? And are any other leaders going to get 3d leaderheads.
Oh and Kyorlin was very impressive

:goodjob:

We now have the skills and the knowledge to create 3d leaderhead. THe thing that we miss the more is time. I do not know if we will have 3d leaderhead some day (I would like to, but it's a thing that we would need to talk in our private forum:D ). If we have some 3d LH, it won't be before Ice phase.

I prefer the 2D heads myself. I'm not a fan of the 3D heads unless they look much better than the ones in AoI.

I'm particularly disappointed with the look of Charadon.

Top Bottom