Is there a way to prevent early wars?

It seems that early diplomacy is verry limited you can only exchange embassies and trade some luxuries but that doesn't make a big impact to the decision to the AI for declaring war on you in the early game.

its a shame that there are no diplomatic interaction early in this game which results in trol dowing of the AI early.

Anyone have a sollution getting a little bit tyred of this

"The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable."

"The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable."

Thanx you for you're useless comment didn't help at all

Might as well just play a other game

Actually, his comment is not that useless, what he is saying is true. If you have at least some good military the AI wont give priority to attack you.

I find that building walls and having at least 6-7th place on military makes the AI afraid to DoW you unless they come with someone else along.

The thing is, when you reach up to higher dificulties you MUST build archers and warriors/spears sooner than you want. I know its tempting to sit there and just build structures, but the AI will come down on you and roll you over.

Yup, walls and a biggish army are the only way to reliably prevent early wars.

Actually, his comment is not that useless, what he is saying is true. If you have at least some good military the AI wont give priority to attack you.

I find that building walls and having at least 6-7th place on military makes the AI afraid to DoW you unless they come with someone else along.

The thing is, when you reach up to higher dificulties you MUST build archers and warriors/spears sooner than you want. I know its tempting to sit there and just build structures, but the AI will come down on you and roll you over.

Its useless because he just used a quote from a famous chinese leader and didn't give any information or his opinion aboout this topic.

In the game I 've had a pretty high ranked military ranking i was at the 5ft place but they still dowed me

And my point is that you can't avoid war which means you can't use a certain strategy.There is no way to get early positif modifers so some AI will like you I can imagine warmongers will allways dow you but i've had other peacefull leaders who olso dow withtouth reasons.

This is interesting if you like to fight It just gets alittle bit anoying every time I start a game 2 Ai decide to declare war on me even if they aren't close to me..

Oh well We will see if brave new world change diplomacy like they promised in gods and king but I doubt it

Best way to protect against that is to build a strong military. If you can be in the top 3 civs for Soldiers in the demographics screen, it is very rare they will attack you early on. Also, make sure the units are showing. IE: Line them up along borders so the AI can see em.

Then there is the other more diplomatic stuff you can do, like not expanding towards the AIs. I mean, that's the main thing they use as a reason for attacking you early so avoiding it does indeed help. Is it worth settling crap cities so as to avoid building into them? I'd say HELL NO, which is why I'll settle where I want but keep building troops as a deterrent. Also, spreading your religion to them also seems to piss them off. There are a lot of factors going into those AI DOWs, but the main one is definitely having a strong deterrant force. The other approaches (limiting your own expansion or religious spread) do help, but they have a big downside to em so I prefer to focus on building troops which doesn't really limit your strategy over all, even though it does put a bit of a drag on your economy.

Best way to protect against that is to build a strong military. If you can be in the top 3 civs for Soldiers in the demographics screen, it is very rare they will attack you early on. Also, make sure the units are showing. IE: Line them up along borders so the AI can see em.

that is not posible on higher difficulties you allways get DOWED there is no way to prevent this( AI will allways have higher military) You don't have any diplomatic options to prevent this. No you just have to deal with it and be lucky that the AI changed his mind

I might be imagining it but I have a feeling not giving embassies away helps prevent early DOW. If they don't know where your land is they are not going to come after you.

that is not posible on higher difficulties you allways get DOWED there is no way to prevent this( AI will allways have higher military) You don't have any diplomatic options to prevent this. No you just have to deal with it and be lucky that the AI changed his mind

Ok well so far I am just up to emperor level, and it does work up to that point. That was the biggest change to the game for me between king and emperor.... At emperor you get DOWed a lot well before turn 100. Since I've made troops the priority for the early game, it happens a whole lot less. And also, being a little more careful with city placement... like, not jumping forward 20 tiles to grab that lux near someone else's capital, but spreading slowly and more organically. I still am 99% sure its the troops tho. In my latest game my spies actually told me there was a sneak attack launched against my capital, so I started shifting all my troops down to that border. Sure enough, I could see a giant mass of indian troops start coming out of the fog. But since I had sent a buttload of troops to that border, after a couple turns it seemed like Ghandi thought better of the idea as the troops withdrew and no DOW followed. This is definitely one of the game mechanics that you can use to your advantage.

Now if you're saying at deity it's impossible to build more troops than the AI because the AI starts with 2 cities... well that may be true. Deity just doesn't sound like any fun to me though. ;)

Ok well so far I am just up to emperor level, and it does work up to that point. That was the biggest change to the game for me between king and emperor.... At emperor you get DOWed a lot well before turn 100. Since I've made troops the priority for the early game, it happens a whole lot less. And also, being a little more careful with city placement... like, not jumping forward 20 tiles to grab that lux near someone else's capital, but spreading slowly and more organically. I still am 99% sure its the troops tho. In my latest game my spies actually told me there was a sneak attack launched against my capital, so I started shifting all my troops down to that border. Sure enough, I could see a giant mass of indian troops start coming out of the fog. But since I had sent a buttload of troops to that border, after a couple turns it seemed like Ghandi thought better of the idea as the troops withdrew and no DOW followed. This is definitely one of the game mechanics that you can use to your advantage.

Now if you're saying at deity it's impossible to build more troops than the AI because the AI starts with 2 cities... well that may be true. Deity just doesn't sound like any fun to me though. ;)

Yes you can't just settle a city next to someone on emperor on higher and you have to expand slowly and built up defences however no matter what I dow I get declared war on.

Hihger difficulties are not fun the fact that you allways get dowed is not fun it seems the developers thought it would make the game difficulter it does but it becomes less fun because there is only 1 early strategy available WAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are making a game one of the primary goals is to make it fun

Olso using spies is only in the renaissance SO there is basicly no option in the early game to prevent early wars.

I might as well just play another game and post nothing until brave new world because i'm done with this game Hopefully the community can tell me if everything has changed then because I live in europe so I have to wait to july and i am happy about that

Yes you can't just settle a city next to someone on emperor on higher and you have to expand slowly and built up defences however no matter what I dow I get declared war on.

Hihger difficulties are not fun the fact that you allways get dowed is not fun it seems the developers thought it would make the game difficulter it does but it becomes less fun because there is only 1 early strategy available WAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are making a game one of the primary goals is to make it fun

Olso using spies is only in the renaissance SO there is basicly no option in the early game to prevent early wars.

I might as well just play another game and post nothing until brave new world because i'm done with this game Hopefully the community can tell me if everything has changed then because I live in europe so I have to wait to july and i am happy about that

You can't use variety of strategies playing Deity and Immortal, that's just how the game is. Some people have fun playing the same *&@#$ over and over again just to win against Deity AI.

Hell, I've beaten deity and never really tried again, I just don't see the fun in Deity, just because of what you said, no matter what you try, if you don't sacrifice half of your ancient/classical era in spamming the same units you will get overwhelmed, no matter what strategy you plan to do, if you don't build up your NC ASAP you will just be dealing with Gattling Guns as you have Legions.

If you dont beeline education turns out the same as above. To sum up, you actually have to play the exact same game over and over again.

So my advice to you is, if you don't actually find the game on Immortal/Deity to be fun, just play another difficulty and try your strategies. The truth is that beating deity does not comes down as an achievement, is just doing the same boring bee lines over and over again.

Lower the dificulty and try out crazy strategies, thats what I do, and hell I have a heck of fun with Civ V.

You can't use variety of strategies playing Deity and Immortal, that's just how the game is. Some people have fun playing the same *&@#$ over and over again just to win against Deity AI.

Hell, I've beaten deity and never really tried again, I just don't see the fun in Deity, just because of what you said, no matter what you try, if you don't sacrifice half of your ancient/classical era in spamming the same units you will get overwhelmed, no matter what strategy you plan to do, if you don't build up your NC ASAP you will just be dealing with Gattling Guns as you have Legions.

If you dont beeline education turns out the same as above. To sum up, you actually have to play the exact same game over and over again.

So my advice to you is, if you don't actually find the game on Immortal/Deity to be fun, just play another difficulty and try your strategies. The truth is that beating deity does not comes down as an achievement, is just doing the same boring bee lines over and over again.

Lower the dificulty and try out crazy strategies, thats what I do, and hell I have a heck of fun with Civ V.

I'm playing emperor

"Speak softly, and carry a big stick." - Theodore Roosevelt

"If you want peace, prepare for war." - Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak." - Sun Tzu

More useless comments for you. ;)

Its useless because he just used a quote from a famous chinese leader and didn't give any information or his opinion aboout this topic.

In the game I 've had a pretty high ranked military ranking i was at the 5ft place but they still dowed me

And my point is that you can't avoid war which means you can't use a certain strategy.There is no way to get early positif modifers so some AI will like you I can imagine warmongers will allways dow you but i've had other peacefull leaders who olso dow withtouth reasons.

This is interesting if you like to fight It just gets alittle bit anoying every time I start a game 2 Ai decide to declare war on me even if they aren't close to me..

Oh well We will see if brave new world change diplomacy like they promised in gods and king but I doubt it

The art of war applies to every part of your life.

Oh well, cast not ye pearls before swine.

The way I have found to avoid war is to avoid embassies. After I stopped swapping or selling embassies, AIs were far less likely to DOW me. Instead of just knowing where I am and what I am made of, they have to seek me out.

I learned this after geting DOWed one to many times in the early stages just after doing the embassy switch.

I was just playing this huge pangea on emperor... surrounded by warmongers... but no DOW. In fact, I DOW'd Alex because he built a city a bit too close to me.

Also, avoid making friend early on. Making friends makes you enemies of others at the same time.

It seems that early diplomacy is verry limited you can only exchange embassies and trade some luxuries but that doesn't make a big impact to the decision to the AI for declaring war on you in the early game.

its a shame that there are no diplomatic interaction early in this game which results in trol dowing of the AI early.

Anyone have a sollution getting a little bit tyred of this

What is your play style? Tradition/science, expansion/domination, turtling/culture, etc.? That could determine how helpful my advice would be, but I prefer playing at emperor level due to its strategic flexibility and enjoyment and don't mind the early DOWs... gives me a chance to kill some enemies and gain XP. I just played a game where I didn't have much room to expand so I sold luxuries to purchase 5 archers, and with just them and my starting warrior to take cities, I wiped 4 civs off my continent by about turn 175.

If you can start with a handful of archers at the beginning of the game, you should have no problem tackling a swarm of AI invaders, and after you kill them, you should be able to march in with upgraded CBs and wipe them off the face of the earth with relative ease given the right circumstances. However, if you're just looking to role play and be friends with everyone, it's not gonna happen... better stock up on that military (archer line) and hope for the best.

Might as well just play a other game

Based on how basically every comment you post here is about 1. how unfair it is that the AI tries to stop you from killing everything in sight or 2. how the game cheats because it's difficult on high difficulty settings, this might actually be good advice.

Try Plants vs. Zombies. Pretend you're the zombies.

Top Bottom