More than 2 replacement icons showing up when choosing a civ.

Neirai

the Forgiven
Is anyone else having this problem? Suddenly TPangolin's civilization choice dialogue is showing extra icons, including hidden buildings, etc.

Here's a picture: http://i.imgur.com/u6ME5pU.jpg

Does anyone know what's up? It's happening on all his mods.

Pfffft

I'm an idiot. Sorry!

Yeah, it's just a very bad sign for some of us hacks that put 20+ hidden units inside a civ and then whistle nonchalantly and say "it just works that way."

Yeah, it's just a very bad sign for some of us hacks that put 20+ hidden units inside a civ and then whistle nonchalantly and say "it just works that way."
:lol: EUI will slavishly display all of them...
Oh gawd...
Units have a "ShowInPedia" tag... it could be used to hide units from the setup screen.
Other uniques (buildings, improvements) do not feature this tag, though.

Units have a "ShowInPedia" tag... it could be used to hide units from the setup screen.
Other uniques (buildings, improvements) do not feature this tag, though.

Right, except see here

Though that wouldn't hide anything on the screens you're talking about without similar changes made to EUI.

So is there a way at all to hide hidden buildings/improvements/units from the civpedia using that?

I get it. Sure, it's nonstandard, but can't it just default to show if ShowInPedia doesn't exist in the buildings table? I don't see any compatibility issues there (since you're already changing that file, and you're using the DLC method which always loads first).

Nonstandard: means not many people - if any - are using it, why make the change ? Chicken & egg thing - for something to become standard there needs to be consensus or critical mass, neither of which seem to be the case (EUI is used by a few 100 at the very most, probably much less).

Compatibility: EUI is compatible with multiplayer, without requirement for all parties to be using it. So I don't want to take the risk of adding new columns to the game database. Thus EUI must remain compatible with game databases which do not have ShowInPedia columns for buildings and improvements, but I don't know how to SQL query missing columns without causing errors.

Proposal: next version of EUI's game setup script will filter out units with ShowInPedia set to 0 / false. It will also filter out buildings with GreatWorkCount set to -1: although hackish this is trivial to do (1 statement) and seems to have already been embraced by the community. There will be no filtering of improvements, but the need seems very remote.

Cheers

Re nonstandard/compatibility: Points taken.

...but I don't know how to SQL query missing columns without causing errors.
See how whoward69 did it for the CivilopediaScreen.lua replacement I linked above.

Proposal: next version of EUI's game setup script... will also filter out buildings with GreatWorkCount set to -1: although hackish this is trivial to do (1 statement) and seems to have already been embraced by the community.
Playing devil's advocate :devil: (Sorry, it's a bad habit I have):
Is that confusing CityView and Pedia visibility? (Note there's the competing standard for CityView, though Irkalla's is clearly better since it doesn't require adding a column...) As stated in Irkalla's thread:
If you'd like the building to not have a listing in the Civilopedia, then set its PrereqTech to NULL, its Cost to -1, and its FaithCost to -1.
Should that method be the one that is followed instead? Or maybe either method works? Or all of the above, including whoward69's and Thal's? :crazyeye:

See how whoward69 did it for the CivilopediaScreen.lua replacement I linked above.
It seems to add columns using SQL. According to Gedemon, it's not possible to use SQL files in a DLC, and I do not want to risk multiplayer compatibility issues by adding new columns.
Well actually there is a way for lua to identify missing columns without causing errors, it's simply easier to do as proposed (and already implemented in my private build).
Playing devil's advocate :devil: (Sorry, it's a bad habit I have):
Is that confusing CityView and Pedia visibility? (Note there's the competing standard for CityView, though Irkalla's is clearly better since it doesn't require adding a column...) As stated in Irkalla's thread:
Should that method be the one that is followed instead? Or maybe either method works? Or all of the above, including whoward69's and Thal's? :crazyeye:
IMHO hair splitting / not worth it. KISS: an item is either invisible or it's not.
Cheers

Top Bottom