Vokarya's Workshop: Buildings

Oh! That is already there :) Nice then!

Maybe make an unique building for Belgium (in MCP) to transform potatoes into french fries :D

Don't you mean les fishandchips? :D

Here, we call that "les frites".

Oh, I know. I was just poking fun at "Franglais". :)

That reminds me of a joke in Futurama, a TV series from the creators of The Simpsons. During an episode, there is a giant poster in the metro where it's written "LEARN FRENGLISH FOR ONLY 2$/HOUR".

Annoyingly, "series" is one of those nouns which is both singular and plural (like "sheep" and "fish", amongst others). There's no apparent rhyme or reason to it.

I won't say it's a stupid rule... because in French there are rules where there is almost as many exceptions as common cases. Wait... you mean i cant say "sheeps" or "fishs" ?

I won't say it's a stupid rule... because in French there are rules where there is almost as many exceptions as common cases. Wait... you mean i cant say "sheeps" or "fishs" ?

Haha! You can say them. However, will you want to? I wouldn't suggest it! :lol:

There’s no such word as “sheeps”. There is an archaic word “fishes”, but it never appears anywhere, except in similarly archaic places, like the Authorised Version (KJV) of the Bible.

Indeed, that is strange because sheep are always gathered in a herd. It is like saying "un puits" in French (a well), which sounds weird.

Indeed, that is strange because sheep are always gathered in a herd. It is like saying "un puits" in French (a well), which sounds weird.

In English, there are many words which are both plural, and singular. They represent one of something, or multiple.

Examples: Deer, Sheep

A couple of stray thoughts.

Modern Granary: I think we want to get rid of the word Modern wherever possible in naming things. Would there be an issue if I changed the name to Silo? I don't think we need to go all the way to Grain Silo as there really isn't a need for any other kind of silo in-game; we don't really need a separate Missile Silo on top of everything else.

Townclock: Does this need to obsolete as quickly as it does? It comes along at the end of the Medieval Era and obsoletes early in the Industrial (Assembly Line). It doesn't even get two full eras of use. I was thinking of pushing its obsoletion point to at least Electronics or maybe even Wearable Computers. WC would give three full eras of use to the Clock.

1 Grain silo is better because it tells player what is the purpose of that building. Silo have to width meaning to use it itself.

2 Electronics will be more accurate. Town clocks was obsolete when everybody could have his own watch. This tech makes them really cheap.

I agree with Nimek for the very same reasons.

A couple of stray thoughts.
Townclock: Does this need to obsolete as quickly as it does? It comes along at the end of the Medieval Era and obsoletes early in the Industrial (Assembly Line). It doesn't even get two full eras of use. I was thinking of pushing its obsoletion point to at least Electronics or maybe even Wearable Computers. WC would give three full eras of use to the Clock.

I think it should go obsolete when something else comes along which replaces it. Otherwise we're actually going backwards. There are a few similar buildings, where a newer version or just a new tech' actually sets you back, which I find silly.

Would be nice for the townclock to last longer.

Cheers.

1 Grain silo is better because it tells player what is the purpose of that building. Silo have to width meaning to use it itself.

2 Electronics will be more accurate. Town clocks was obsolete when everybody could have his own watch. This tech makes them really cheap.

+1 for both :)

I think it should go obsolete when something else comes along which replaces it. Otherwise we're actually going backwards. There are a few similar buildings, where a newer version or just a new tech' actually sets you back, which I find silly.

Would be nice for the townclock to last longer.

Cheers.

I've tried to do that where I can. I like having three-building chains, with Building A going obsolete after Building B replaces it, and Building B never really going obsolete but being replaced by Building C. Like Arena being replaced by Stadium at Radio, then going obsolete at Mass Media, and Stadium never going obsolete, but replaced by Zero-G Sports Arena at Orbital Flight. If we are positing that digital watches are making Townclocks obsolete, then we would probably need something like an Electronics Factory as a replacement, but I don't think that is a good way to go.

There are a few cases where buildings do totally disappear. Walls go away at Rifling, and all of the Mounted unit boosters go obsolete at Mechanized Warfare. There are a couple of places where you do have to slow down for a bit and reconfigure; the "tech vs. doctrine" problem is supposed to come up first when you switch to gunpowder-based units (you need Matchlock for Arquebusiers and Leadership to give them XP, and once Garrisons replaces Barracks, you need to build Drill Yards to get Mounted units up to the same XP level) and then again in a smaller way at Mechanized Warfare (to replace the XP for Mounted units, you need Military Base + either Pentagon/Secret Army Base/Universal Soldiers or wait all the way until Virtual Reality for Combat Simulator).

I noticed that Oil Power Plant is superior to Coal Plant if you have access to both Coal and Oil. Coal power provides a total of +8 unhealth (2 from power, 4 from dirty power, 2 inherent) while Oil is only +6 (same 2 from power and 4 from dirty power, but no 2 inherent). It doesn't make much sense to have both of them be buildable at once.

I was thinking this:
  • Make Oil Power Plant replace Coal Plant.
  • Require Oil Power Plant to require Oil resource to build. Do not change the Oil power requirement. This will allow the Coal Plant to reappear if the player does not have access to Oil, but will show the dirty power correctly.

Top Bottom