Crash on Loading the Mod

I noticed you are on steam. Right click on the game in steam, go to the 'Betas' tab, and select the older version. See here: http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/arti...eamworks-Civilization-IV-Unsupported-on-Steam

Firaxis released an update a few months ago for Steam only which breaks some mods. They didn't release the new code for their changes, so the only option is to roll back. It only affects MP game-matching, so it's not really worth using the patch anyway.

You're right Afforess, I even mention it in the installation page on the website, but when i was using this version, i had no problems. However, it worth a try.

You're right Afforess, I even mention it in the installation page on the website, but when i was using this version, i had no problems. However, it worth a try.

The newer steam version messes with the icons displaying on city billboards for me. I think it subtly broke something with gamefonts. Also, you can not attach a debugger to the DLL anymore with the new steam patch. Downgrading solves all of the above.

IMHO, you should do a md5 checksum on the exe to detect if they are using the "new" steam exe and nag users to downgrade (w/the link to the above instructions) in your launcher.

In fact, i cannot attach the debugger even with the old version. The debug only works on the DVD version, unless i miss something.
Ok, i'll implement that.

In fact, i cannot attach the debugger even with the old version. The debug only works on the DVD version, unless i miss something.
Ok, i'll implement that.

Really?

It's possible that steam's overlay they inject into the EXE messes it up...

What might even be cooler is to auto-patch the EXE. You could create a diff between the DVD EXE and the Steam EXE and apply the binary diff. Binary diff patching is a technical loophole around copyrights, I am aware of several major corporations that use that to distribute copyrighted patches...

Let me test this myself first though. I have a DVD and Steam install. I can test to see if Steam will even launch the DVD exe correctly.

And obviously, the user would get a prompt asking them first before modifying their files. Anything less would be wrong.

In fact, with the offline patcher, i use diff and patch to apply binaries patch on the executables. It works but i don't know it won't break something on the steam side. Moreover, it will requires administrator privilege in some cases. I also thought the overlay would be the cause be it also crash without.

EDIT: You can check the diff/patch commands in the source code here: https://github.com/dbkblk/and2_offline_patcher. On one executable, it should be reliable, but in this particular tool, svn sometimes stops to download the diff without error so i need to change the way it works.

I noticed you are on steam. Right click on the game in steam, go to the 'Betas' tab, and select the older version. See here: http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/arti...eamworks-Civilization-IV-Unsupported-on-Steam

Firaxis released an update a few months ago for Steam only which breaks some mods. They didn't release the new code for their changes, so the only option is to roll back. It only affects MP game-matching, so it's not really worth using the patch anyway.

As mentioned in the OP, I am on the most recent patch on Steam and have also tried the original 3.19 patch.

I've tried doing the previous few things on the 3.19 patch as well with no luck.

OK so I've done more experimentation, this time being more destructive I suppose. I ended up doing a complete reinstall (again), clearing out the entire folder, moving the mod back and forth between "My Games" and the "Mods" folder and I finally got it working.

I think my problem resided in the game not being on my C drive with the mod in the mod folder. I think. I tried so many things I don't know what worked. So, it works now. Thanks all who helped.

Edit: Nevermind... It's now loaded (Says the mod name in the top right), but there are no techs or other things in game and no "A New Dawn Concepts" in the civopedia. Back to the drawing board :S

Could you open "CvAltRoot.py" with a text editor and replace "C:/Documents and Settings/[UserName]/My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword" with your path (and of course copy the mod in My Games.

On my setup, i have Civ4 (DVD) in C:/Jeux/Civ4 and Civ4 (Steam) in C:/Jeux/Steam/... and My Games in on D:/ so your problem resides somewhere else.

Could you open "CvAltRoot.py" with a text editor and replace "C:/Documents and Settings/[UserName]/My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword" with your path (and of course copy the mod in My Games.

On my setup, i have Civ4 (DVD) in C:/Jeux/Civ4 and Civ4 (Steam) in C:/Jeux/Steam/... and My Games in on D:/ so your problem resides somewhere else.

Well I reinstalled it to my E: drive and got the same ini errors. After putting the mod back in the "my games" folder in my documents and when it was in the Steam folder. Upon trying this though, it works in the "my games" folder now! Thanks for your help :)

Glad you finally found out how to play our mod :)

Top Bottom