New to FFH2

TranquilFlames

Chieftain
I just got done playing FFH Age of Ice and loved it so I got FFH2. To my surprise, there was way too much content compared to AoI and I was just completely overwhelmed by it. I don't know where to start or what to build, research, or anything of the sort. I feel like this is my first time playing Civ4 and being thrown into modern era trying to figure out the game: Clueless. At this point I'm ready to just give up on it, but I want to give this mod a chance due to my liking of AoI and the high reviews on FFH2. Any guidance would be appreciated :)

Your posting in the wrong forum, this is for mods of FFH, and I'd recommend you play one of them.
There are three main ones, WildMana, Orbis and Rise From Erebus.

They have a much more active development, and I recommend you play Rise From Erebus (RifE) because almost all of the information is included in the online wiki, and the people in the forum are always eager to help, recently there are a couple of other new people asking for advice as well :)

Are you kidding? What kind of gamer are you? There very best part is having some fresh and new like this where you don't know what's going on. That's half the fun! The adventure.

To be honest, giving up would be ridiculous. Buck up and learn the game the good ol' fashioned way. Pick a race that sounds fun and dive right in. If you're an experienced Civ IV player it shouldn't be terribly hard to figure out what you need to do. The mistakes are part of the fun, anyway.

Challenge yourself. (Which also means keep it on the same difficulty you would normally. Makes it far more interesting!)

:) :)

As other shave noted, this post ought to be elsewhere. The startegy forums are probably the best match to your requirements.

My advice is to play as the Grigori - they get Adventurer Units (whcih are pretty cool) and they don't have to worry about religion.

Contrary to what lemonjelly says, if you're feeling overwhelmed by FFH, playing one of the modmods is absolutely the last thing you should do, since they all add lots of new content on top of FFH's new stuff, and much of it is even more esoteric and unusual.

I'd recommend you just play one of the civs that are most similar to vanilla. Hippus is often a good choice for this, and Elohim are another good choice. Alternatively, you can do as Truth0 says and just dive right in. So long as you make sure to read your civ's entry in the civilopedia so that you don't get surprised by their unique gimmicks, you should do fine. Beyond that, any differences from BTS you should just be able to look them up as they crop up.

As for specific building and research strategies, all I can say is: Do whatever you think is most fun. :)
The only caveat to that is that I'd generally make sure to have a few warriors before building a worker, since barbarians in FFH tend to be tougher than in BTS. But other than that, anything goes, and you'll generally find a play style that suits you soon enough.

@Morlark I know that the mods are more complex, but FFH isn't being updated any more, and the mods are having numerous bug-fixes and speed improvements all the time :)

And, yeah, I agree, just mess around, go with what looks and sounds good :)

One warning about techs: be sure you check their costs.

Unlike in regular Civ, the cost of the techs in each column are NOT all similar. They vary considerably. In fact, after you research a couple you might find that a tech that is now accessible in column 3 might be cheaper than one in column 2 (and so on, across the tech tree).

Example (numbers for noble difficulty, standard speed): Hunting, in column 2 of the tech tree, is quite expensive at 598. Sailing, in column 3 past Fishing is "only" 416. Other than the religion related techs down by the bottom of the tech tree, Hunting is the most expensive tech in column 2. It is, in fact, more expensive than any tech in column 3 (the most expensive of which are Bronze Working and Construction which are both at 520 and the least expensive of which is Festivals at 234). This does not mean that Hunting is not worth researching - it is a tech that gives you some good stuff (like a recon type unit that has a higher base strength than a warrior). Just be careful not to research it before you research some cheaper techs that allow you to improve at least some of the resources you have available to you (if course, if the nearby resources include some that need camps then hunting is better than it otherwise would be since that is what enables camps).

Thanks for all the support :)
And yeah I figured this would probably be in the wrong forum section, but it was the best I could do.

So FFH2 is mainly played as a mod on top of a regular civ game? I downloaded the FFH2 scenario mod instead. Hence, I don't really understand the whole "choosing your civ" thing since picking a scenario automatically chooses one for you.

I'm an experienced civ player but absolutely new to FFH2.

I also noticed that in the different scenarios, the setting takes time in different eras. In FFH2, are all the eras mixed up in one civ game? For example there was the age of ice era and there's also the magic/taming animals type area.

Anyway, like I said, I'm completely new to FFH2 so I honestly have no idea what's going on haha. Appreciate the help though :)

[Edit]

I played a regular civ game with this mod. It's a lot easier to understand and enjoy now. The scenarios were too much for me to jump right into at the start. I think I'm good now :)

Top Bottom