Embassies

Right now establishing an embassy allows to sign different agreements. I was wondering if we should also make it work like it's working in Rhye's and Fall of Civilization, i.e. if you don't have an embassy with another civ, you slowly lose contact with that civ unless it's in direct contact with you either with units or because of borders. What do you think? I'm not even sure how this was programmed in Rhye's and Fall but maybe it's worth a try. Opinions?

What happens when you loose contact ?

Another possibility is that w/o an embassy, for a civ, land that was explored (but not visible) will decay and no longer be visible in ~100 turns. You can send an explorer back and reset the countdown, but when all of a civ's land goes dark, you lose contact entirely.

Edit: potential problems, the ability to trade contacts would likely lead to contact being restored very quickly. Not sure how to deal w/this.

What happens when you loose contact ?

Same as you never had any contact with that civ; you can't trade or anything, you simply don't see that civ until you meet them again.

Won't this be UC heavy to recalculate that for every plot at every turn ?
Off topic but, did you tried to check what are the most heavy functions ? I tried that without looking that much with MS Visual Studio Community 2013, but i'm not used to that tool.

EDIT (for 45° answer): Ok, but so the Afforess idea might be the solution. Code wise, that shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Another possibility is that w/o an embassy, for a civ, land that was explored (but not visible) will decay and no longer be visible in ~100 turns. You can send an explorer back and reset the countdown, but when all of a civ's land goes dark, you lose contact entirely.

Well, that would be nice but beyond my ability. I think it's much more complex; how would it work with parts of territory explored in different times? Should you have a countdown for every tile? Wouldn't that slow down the mod? Anyway either solution would be good for giving one more reason to establish embassies.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13696880 said:
Anyway either solution would be good for giving one more reason to establish embassies.
The fact that they are needed for any agreement isn't already a good reason ?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13696880 said:
Well, that would be nice but beyond my ability. I think it's much more complex; how would it work with parts of territory explored in different times? Should you have a countdown for every tile? Wouldn't that slow down the mod? Anyway either solution would be good for giving one more reason to establish embassies.

I would do a countdown for every city. Since all culture is inside the radius of influence of every city, you can avoid having a new variable for every tile (which is massive in terms of memory) and just have one for every city. As you fail to renew sight with a city, all the tiles under it's influence darken.

I posted this concern above, but it may have been overlooked:

Edit: potential problems, the ability to trade contacts would likely lead to contact being restored very quickly. Not sure how to deal w/this.

The fact that they are needed for any agreement isn't already a good reason ?

Not really to me; I mostly refuse RoP and OB so I don't really need them. But being unable to trade resources and techs becaus I've lost contact, well that would be a big + for building them. Of course they should be cancelled in case of war. Also now that I think about it, in modern times it would be strange not seeing some territory because you don't have an embassy. So either we should drop the black tiles idea or limit it up to industrial era. What do yo u think?

I posted this concern above, but it may have been overlooked:

You're right, I didn't think about it. We could place a limit on trading contacts with civs we already met, let's say you can't trade that contact at all or you can't trade it for 200 turns

This sounds real good!

One suggestion, after some point in techtree connection should be possible without embassy or direct connection. Maybe electricity?

This sounds real good!

One suggestion, after some point in techtree connection should be possible without embassy or direct connection. Maybe electricity?

Electricity was in RFC, I'd suggest telegraph :)

I would do a countdown for every city. Since all culture is inside the radius of influence of every city, you can avoid having a new variable for every tile (which is massive in terms of memory) and just have one for every city. As you fail to renew sight with a city, all the tiles under it's influence darken.

It would be strange to see civilized lands fade back to black, while barbarian and neutral lands stay gray. Would be also strange to see tiny dots between foreign cities not under their influence stay gray, but the surrounding are going black :lol:

Also I could not justify "blackening" after Geography :rolleyes:

How about making embassy a requirement for foreign city connectedness?

I'm not really sure we actually need such a mechanic.

Losing complete map info (the tile goes black again) seems excessive. Or have it stop at a reasonable tech like Cartography (or maybe just Writing?).

Just losing contact with a civ is more reasonable, this would give trading contacts a bit more use. Though the price the AI gives for them should be reduced if they're going to be traded all the time.

I've thought about it a bit more and yes, losing any information about the map seems excessive to me too. I think we should keep it simple by just losing contact and not being able to trade it again. Also this should stop when both civs have telegraph.

Darkened maps and losing map information since you complete the research for satellites sound both as a joke!:lol:

Darkened maps and losing map information since you complete the research for satellites sound both as a joke!:lol:

I think that nobody wanted something like that; this kind of behaviour should stop at industrial era, probably telegraph. I think I can try to do it but I'll share it with the team before making it available

Top Bottom