Leader-specific UUs and UBs

Midnight-Blue766

The filidh that cam frae Skye
Many people here (hopefully) have played Civ3, the 1st Civ game to have Civ-specific traits and UUs. Virtually everyone here has played CIV, which has, in addition to Leader-specific traits, has civ-specific UUs and UBs. The logical extension to this would be to have Leader specific UUs and UBs. I'll give an example:

Russia's leaders would be Peter the Great (Phi/Exp) and Josef Stalin (Agg/Ind). Peter's Unique Unit would be the Cossack and his unique building would be ??? (can anyone help me here?) Stalin's UU would be the T-34 (replaces Tank, +2 :strength:) and UB is the Research Institute (or possibly Collective Farm: replaces ???, plus 1:food:, but 1 :yuck:).

Any discussions?

Yeah, I kind of agree, apart from the fact that some leaders didn't have any outstanding military units that could be UUs. For instance, Gandhi. I suppose you could have the Fast Worker for him. And other leaders, like Mao Zedong, had perhaps what could be perceived as famous units (Red Army), but wouldn't offer any advantage, as it was strength in numbers.

History in the Making has 2 UUs and 2 UBs for each Civ. I like it so much I've become an advocate for 1 UU per civ, as well as one per leader, So you'd have two UUs per civ per game, but not always the same two.

As Anti-Logic correctly pointed out to me, there was virtually no difference between the armies of Caesar and Auggustus; they should both have praetorians. There may be other civs with the same situation.

No, I don't recall what the Russian 2nd UB is.

As for Mao's Red Army, I'd suggest it be represented by an infantry unit with a lower production cost, which would allow greater numbers..... I suppose alternative approachs would be to make them easier to draft or lower maintenance somehow.

Question: are we basically making each leader his or her own empire at this point? What's left in common besides a list of city names between Peter and Stalin? Except those might be different as well.

I didn't think about this back in the individual UU per leader thread, but now I am. At this point, we are placing all the emphasis on the leaders, and not so much whether or not you are playing the civilization. Or, in the form of a question: should all the "unique" attributes be given to your leader choice of Frederick or Bismarck and none to the fact that you are the German civilization?

I think that Antilogic has a fair point, in that by doing this, you are virtually losing all semblance of similarity between leaders of the same civilization. However, this may not be a bad thing. Using the example of Peter and Stalin, at the moment, they are both crammed into the Russian civilization, despite the fact that Stalin was a Georgian, and was head of the Soviet Union, of which Russia was only a part. So, having them as vastly differing may not actually be all that bad. All you would lose is a false identity.

I'd like to see Japan with a second leader such as the Emperor with a Mitsubishi fighter plane as a unique unit. The unique building would be the factory of a sort.

If Mongolia were to have a second UU, it would have to be another mounted unit.

I'm not so sure about Korea & Vietnam if those countries will be included in the next Civ game. Ho Chi Minh vs. Abraham Lincoln in the Vietnam war would be interesting.

I think that Antilogic has a fair point, in that by doing this, you are virtually losing all semblance of similarity between leaders of the same civilization. However, this may not be a bad thing. Using the example of Peter and Stalin, at the moment, they are both crammed into the Russian civilization, despite the fact that Stalin was a Georgian, and was head of the Soviet Union, of which Russia was only a part. So, having them as vastly differing may not actually be all that bad. All you would lose is a false identity.

In all fairness, Russia was the major force behind the Soviet Union. Do you think the Soviet Republic of the Ukraine would have been such a dangerous opponent without the Russian territory and resources?

Plus, I never liked the excess of WW2 leaders anyway. Drop Stalin, drop Mao, leave De Gaulle out, forget even considering adding Hitler... ;)

I'd like to see Japan with a second leader such as the Emperor with a Mitsubishi fighter plane as a unique unit. The unique building would be the factory of a sort.

If Mongolia were to have a second UU, it would have to be another mounted unit.

I'm not so sure about Korea & Vietnam if those countries will be included in the next Civ game. Ho Chi Minh vs. Abraham Lincoln in the Vietnam war would be interesting.

Which Emperor of Japan are you referring to? They had several...technically, wasn't Tokugawa considered an emperor?

Korea will likely make it in first, probably riding in expansion-pack style. They've done so in both Civ3 and Civ4 (and the unique catapult unit is way different than other unique units, so it's a good bet that it'll be retained for that gameplay aspect).

Mongolia is a perfect example of the two leaders being close enough in time to not warrant a drastically different civilization, in my opinion. If you were trying to represent Tamerlane and the Timurids, you could have a greater argument for a different UU. But in the case of Genghis' grandson and Genghis, just like Julius Caesar's adopted nephew and Julius, the civilizations did not have a significant amount of time to change inbetween the two leader reigns.

Plus, I never liked the excess of WW2 leaders anyway. Drop Stalin, drop Mao, leave De Gaulle out, forget even considering adding Hitler... ;)

Which Emperor of Japan are you referring to? They had several...technically, wasn't Tokugawa considered an emperor?

Why not include these significant people in Civ 5? Civ 5 will be the first game in the Civ series to include Hitler & Hirohito. For the past 20+ years of the Civilization game, isn't time to move on to the future and forget history. Nothing can change the past but let's look forward to the future. Germany & Japan as of today are integrated as influential countries.

Korea will likely make it in first, probably riding in expansion-pack style. They've done so in both Civ3 and Civ4 (and the unique catapult unit is way different than other unique units, so it's a good bet that it'll be retained for that gameplay aspect).

Korea will likely continue to be a 1 UU, 1Ub & 1 leader Civ. As for the introducion of The Vietnamese or yue kingdom as I know it, a good portion of history involves this civilization with the French and the Americans.

Mongolia is a perfect example of the two leaders being close enough in time to not warrant a drastically different civilization, in my opinion. If you were trying to represent Tamerlane and the Timurids, you could have a greater argument for a different UU. But in the case of Genghis' grandson and Genghis, just like Julius Caesar's adopted nephew and Julius, the civilizations did not have a significant amount of time to change inbetween the two leader reigns.

I support your point here.

Why not include these significant people in Civ 5? Civ 5 will be the first game in the Civ series to include Hitler & Hirohito. For the past 20+ years of the Civilization game, isn't time to move on to the future and forget history. Nothing can change the past but let's look forward to the future. Germany & Japan as of today are integrated as influential countries.

My point is: Civilization covers a period of roughly 6 millenia of history, really a little more on the early side if you include the long life of the Sumerian civilization. Why then, are there so many leaders from the 20th century? We have Roosevelt, Churchill, De Gaulle, Mao, Gandhi, Stalin...that's what, 6/52 leaders? 11% of the leaders coming from a single century, or ~1.7% of the time the game covers? And you want to add more 20th century leaders?

I'm not saying they weren't influential leaders. I'm saying there is a lot of history before the 20th century, and plenty of other names to consider for both Germany and Japan.

Korea will likely continue to be a 1 UU, 1Ub & 1 leader Civ. As for the introducion of The Vietnamese or yue kingdom as I know it, a good portion of history involves this civilization with the French and the Americans.

I don't disagree that Korea will likely have a single leader, but I would point out your statement that a good portion of Vietnamese history has to do with France and America. The name Vietnam comes from their major ethnic group and the fact that it is south of China. Before they even knew of the Americans and French, Vietnam had a long struggle with the Chinese (roughly two thousand years of either conflict or subjugation by the Chinese). Their history with France starts around 1859, if I recall correctly. In other words, late 19th and the 20th centuries. Again, if I had to pick, I'd say the Chinese were far more influential on Vietnamese history than France or America.

In all fairness, Russia was the major force behind the Soviet Union. Do you think the Soviet Republic of the Ukraine would have been such a dangerous opponent without the Russian territory and resources?

I agree, actually, that the Soviet Union was a 'Russian Empire', but Stalin was not Russian.

No, no, no, no, no. I don't care if it isn't accurate to relative historical importance, I want more modern leaders. I'm a modern history person, and so the game just wouldn't be very fun if there weren't as many modern leaders, and would be more fun with even more modern leaders, IMO.

Technically, Tokugawa Ieyasu was the first Shogun. Like a military dictator. The emperor was usurped of his power and allowed to remain as a figurehead behind the Shogunate. In the Meiji Restoration in the late 1800's, the Shogun was deposed, with power supposedly going back to the Emperor (who was the Emperor Meiji at the time), with power really going to the Genro, a council of 8 influential men, led by, IIRC, Ito Hirobumi. These Genro rotated in various roles, such as Prime Minister.

This.

My point is: Civilization covers a period of roughly 6 millenia of history, really a little more on the early side if you include the long life of the Sumerian civilization. Why then, are there so many leaders from the 20th century?

All things being unequal, let the invisible hand guide the civ series to have more leaders from the 20th century than any other century. These significant figures represent the civ and not the time period in which they were alive or the century where they made history.

We have Roosevelt, Churchill, De Gaulle, Mao, Gandhi, Stalin...that's what, 6/52 leaders? 11% of the leaders coming from a single century, or ~1.7% of the time the game covers? And you want to add more 20th century leaders?

I think the goal was to have a more variety of leaders in the game so adding more without reference to the time period they existed. Perhaps the Americans could have George Washington represent the Stone Age, Lincoln represent Midevil Age, Jefferson represent Industrial Age and Roosevelt represent the modern age.

I'm not saying they weren't influential leaders. I'm saying there is a lot of history before the 20th century, and plenty of other names to consider for both Germany and Japan.

The point is to give a civ player the choices in the variety of influential leaders for Germany & Japan.

I don't disagree that Korea will likely have a single leader, but I would point out your statement that a good portion of Vietnamese history has to do with France and America. The name Vietnam comes from their major ethnic group and the fact that it is south of China. Before they even knew of the Americans and French, Vietnam had a long struggle with the Chinese (roughly two thousand years of either conflict or subjugation by the Chinese). Their history with France starts around 1859, if I recall correctly. In other words, late 19th and the 20th centuries. Again, if I had to pick, I'd say the Chinese were far more influential on Vietnamese history than France or America.

Qing & Ming Dynasty did not influence Yue Nan because Chinese expansion was not vast in enough to cover that region at that time. Historically Yue Nan used Chinese charcters for writing and not the French-Latin characters used today. Including the Vietnamese in the Civ series does provide an additional civ that has had a profound impact from the Americans & French. I am sure many civ players here do remember the Vietnam war and that is one reason they should be in. A quarter of the Vietnamese population have origins in China or speak a Chinese dialect so you are correct that the Chinese are far more influential.

I suppose a rant about the failures of the educational system might be appropriate here. To each his own, but I think I made my argument most succintly above. People don't know about the Ancients, Classics, Middle Ages, or Renaissance but with passing familarity. Instead, they see the bazillion Nazi specials on the History Channel, figure Rommel is the greatest military mind in history, and then start claiming to be a history buff. What I don't get is why we need every participant of WW2. Why not all of Frederick's contemporaries? Maria Theresa, Elizabeth (of Russia), George II? Why not all of Bismarck's? Why not all of Napoleon's opponents? The reason: some of them just aren't worth putting in the game when you have so many other influential leaders to pick from. Most people can make this distinction...until it comes to WW2. Then all bets are off.

I see modern history as the culmination of centuries of exploits, conquests, and ideas by others. Throwing in just modern leaders is like focusing on the symptom and not the cause. Sure, the modern fan boys are going to disagree with me, along with the handful of sincere modern historians (and I'm not trying to pick a fight with them, just the average shmuck who claims to know a lot more than they actually do).

Likewise, claiming that Vietnam should be in because of a single war fought in the late 1960's/early 1970's is utterly bogus. China controlled regions that would become Vietnam between about 110 BCE to 940 CE. Pointing out two Chinese dynasties that bracket this time period doesn't disprove my point. I'm not going to say "Israel should be in the game wiht Merkava tanks and this Prime Minister for their leader because they were recreated by the British and won a couple wars against ill-coordinated Muslims". I'm going to back Israel's presence in the game because they had a state in the Middle East contemporary with Egypt, Babylon and the Romans. If the Old Testament is even vaguely true (and some archaelogical evidence indicates the stories are at least inspired by real events), they fought off more enemies than I can count. But that's a debate for the World History forum and kind of off-topic. :)

I apologize on not looking up Tokugawa--just goes to show that I should really use Google or Wiki before posting to make sure my memory is correct. :)

Don't get me wrong- I don't necessarily think that Modern History is much more important than ancient history (although you could put up a good case for it). It is just that I find it more relevant and interesting. Which is why I would like more modern leaders in the game. I find them more relevant and interesting.

I find it more relevant and interesting for the very fact that, IMO, in history, the symptom is greater than the cause. Or more important. But, of course, the causes are exceptionally important. And yet these causes, or at least the ones on the surface, are rooted in modern times, also. I mean, I guess you could say that World War One was created by the two alliance systems and balance of powers, created by German-French resentment, created by a long series of wars, having roots in ancient times, but it is probably more relevant and correct to say that the resentment between the two at the time was created largely by the Franco-Prussian War and the Napoleonic Wars.

But, I digress from leader specific UUs and UBs. I think that it would probably be better for a civ to have, say, two UUs and UBs each, regardless of leader, than to have separate UUs and UBs for each leader. This works into my relative obsession with modern history, in that leaders are relatively close together, and as such, if included, would mean that the UUs and UBs would be hard to differentiate, or to create differently, and effectively.

I'm not going to say "Israel should be in the game wiht Merkava tanks and this Prime Minister for their leader because they were recreated by the British and won a couple wars against ill-coordinated Muslims". I'm going to back Israel's presence in the game because they had a state in the Middle East contemporary with Egypt, Babylon and the Romans.

From my point of view, I find it odd that Israel would be surrounded by Arabic & Muslim countries. Even ethnically, the people of Israel do not seem to fit with the population of most of its neighboring countries. I compare Israel to a region such as Hong Kong or Macau. If they are in the game or not, that's up to the decision makers of the final design of the game.

If the Old Testament is even vaguely true (and some archaelogical evidence indicates the stories are at least inspired by real events), they fought off more enemies than I can count. But that's a debate for the World History forum and kind of off-topic.

The old testament in the bible is interesting in that it is made of many smaller books. I'm not sure if the Koran is any similar but I assume there are some parallel stories. I would imagine how many smaller books in the Vatican have not been published in the bible. Anyhow, my point is bamboo scrolls of books are just as sacred as that of the bible.

Don't get me wrong- I don't necessarily think that Modern History is much more important than ancient history (although you could put up a good case for it). It is just that I find it more relevant and interesting. Which is why I would like more modern leaders in the game. I find them more relevant and interesting.

I find it more relevant and interesting for the very fact that, IMO, in history, the symptom is greater than the cause. Or more important. But, of course, the causes are exceptionally important. And yet these causes, or at least the ones on the surface, are rooted in modern times, also. I mean, I guess you could say that World War One was created by the two alliance systems and balance of powers, created by German-French resentment, created by a long series of wars, having roots in ancient times, but it is probably more relevant and correct to say that the resentment between the two at the time was created largely by the Franco-Prussian War and the Napoleonic Wars.

But, I digress from leader specific UUs and UBs. I think that it would probably be better for a civ to have, say, two UUs and UBs each, regardless of leader, than to have separate UUs and UBs for each leader. This works into my relative obsession with modern history, in that leaders are relatively close together, and as such, if included, would mean that the UUs and UBs would be hard to differentiate, or to create differently, and effectively.

That's just it: I don't think you can put up a good case for it. Saying it's relevant to the modern day is just a argument of semantics to say: "I only know what happened during the time I was alive, so I want something similar to that." Again, it's great for a game that focuses on the 20th century (and now the 21st) exclusively. But that's not Civ! Never was!

I'm not saying you have to trace WW1's causes all the way back to the split of Carolingian kingdom in 843, but at least tracing it back to Napoleon and the Franco-Prussian wars gives some semblance of continuity. If you were to ask me which leaders I would select for France and Germany in this example, I'd stick with the Firaxian choice of Napoleon and Bismarck, not Poincaré or Wilhelm II.

My biggest issue with this is people post and debate modern leaders almost exclusively. Anyone before the 19th (or even some 19th century leaders) doesn't even get mentioned. Everybody latches onto Franco for a second Spanish leader, just because they heard his name on TV once. Do you really think he has the chops to be up next to Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Hannibal, and Julius Caesar? Tell me, anyone who is backing Hitler as a third German leader: can you at least name two other Medieval or Rennaissance German leaders you at least considered?

All right, I've derailed this thread enough. I'll stop posting off-topic rants.

I apologise for the thread derailment, but I must respond.

That's just it: I don't think you can put up a good case for it. Saying it's relevant to the modern day is just a argument of semantics to say: "I only know what happened during the time I was alive, so I want something similar to that."

I would say that the two world wars, and the subsequent internationalisation and globalisation of the world, with the creation of trans national corporations, and multi-national organisations, has had a considerably higher influence on today's society than ancient history. Not to say that ancient history has not had a considerable impact.

Again, it's great for a game that focuses on the 20th century (and now the 21st) exclusively. But that's not Civ! Never was!

Well, the point is to ask whether or not Civ should be like that. I agree and don't think it should. I think there should be a balance of ancient and modern leaders, with a slight weighting towards modern leaders, as shown in the game currently. However, I think that there should be more modern leaders, which would also mean more ancient leaders, or more leaders overall.

Here is a list of the periods of the leaders in the game, as of Warlords:
15th Century BC- 1
13th Century BC- 1
6th Century BC- 1
4th Century BC- 1
3rd Century BC- 4
1st Century BC- 1
1st Century AD- 1

9th Century AD- 1
10th Century AD- 1
12th Century AD- 2
13th Century AD- 1
14th Century AD- 1

15th Century AD- 2
16th Century AD- 4
17th Century AD- 2

18th Century AD- 3
19th Century AD- 4
20th Century AD- 5

As you can see, I've split up the centuries into arbitrary, but I think suitable, time periods (by colour); Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance, Modern. And I have bolded the big century from each period. As you can see, leaders are generally concentrated around time centres. In this case, there is the 3rd Century BC, the 12th Century AD, the 17th Century AD, and the 20th Century AD. Now, assuming equal importance for each era (even though I think the modern era is much more important, and relevant, not just due to recentism (?), but also due to the acceleration of development, population, and everything in general), the Ancient Era has the same number of leaders as the Renaissance era, and only 2 less than the Modern Era, which is this slight weighting that I talk about. Now, I gather that in BtS, a number of Ancient leaders are added, like Pericles and Darius, along with more of the Medieval and Renaissance leaders, as well as 2 (I think) modern leaders. This addresses the slight imbalance even more so, IIRC.

Now, as these statistics also show, there is an absence of Medieval leaders. The balance is 10-6-10-12. This is the area that is probably lacking the most. However, I understand you could argue that it had less importance to history than the other eras, hence why it is often called the 'Dark Age', but, if you count it back from about the 3rd/4th Century AD to the beginning of the 15th Century, it is over 1000 years largely unaccounted for. Assuming that the biggest influence on the world today, and all of human history, is the Christian faith, then this period is actually almost as significant as the others, and so needs more leaders.

I'm not saying you have to trace WW1's causes all the way back to the split of Carolingian kingdom in 843, but at least tracing it back to Napoleon and the Franco-Prussian wars gives some semblance of continuity. If you were to ask me which leaders I would select for France and Germany in this example, I'd stick with the Firaxian choice of Napoleon and Bismarck, not Poincaré or Wilhelm II.

Oh, I would definitely agree. But why not add in these other leaders also? If not just for just a World War One scenario? The more leaders the better, I would say.

My biggest issue with this is people post and debate modern leaders almost exclusively. Anyone before the 19th (or even some 19th century leaders) doesn't even get mentioned. Everybody latches onto Franco for a second Spanish leader, just because they heard his name on TV once. Do you really think he has the chops to be up next to Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Hannibal, and Julius Caesar?

No, I don't think Franco should be the 2nd Spanish leader. He didn't really have a big impact on the world. However, other modern leaders, such as Wilhelm II (or more appropriately, Hindenburg), did have a large impact on the First World War, which was, after all, the first time in all of history that war was spread right across the world. This was at least as important as the Napoleonic Wars, and yet it is somehow seen that Napoleon is more important. I mean, he was very, very important to world history, but so were a lot of other modern leaders. More so, than, say, ancient leaders.

Tell me, anyone who is backing Hitler as a third German leader: can you at least name two other Medieval or Rennaissance German leaders you at least considered?

The German Reich only came into being in 1870. Before that, you would have to separate it up into the states, with Prussia being used in the game, for instance, and before that, there was the Holy Roman Empire, which would fit nicely into the Medieval and Renaissance Eras, even going into the Modern Era. That is present in BtS. So, German leaders should really only be from the end of the Holy Roman Empire onwards. And Bismarck and Hitler are definitely the most important two of them.

Hitler is not in the game, not due to historical mediocrity, but due to sales, as I'm sure you would know. You cannot, under any circumstances, argue that he was not one of the most important leaders in all of world history. He was at least as great as Napoleon, again, just in terms of conquest, and then if you look at the people the died as a result of his rule and subsequent events (WWII), his importance sky-rockets. Sure, you cannot base entrance into the game on how many people died, but in this case, it gives a fair indicator as to the historical scale of his rule.

So, what I am saying is that the leaders in the game should come more or less equally from the four eras that I outlined, with a slight weighting towards the modern era, for relevancy and appeasement. I think that there should be more modern leaders, but not in a disproportionate manner. It would be part of a general rise in the number of leaders in the game, overall.

Barbarossa is a pretty nice Germany/HRE Leader. IMHO I don't see a real reason to split Germany and Holy Roman Empire. I once had a game with Rome as my enemy and HRE as a friend and ended contacts with HRE because it said. 'Roman People!'

Anyways, I think the game is pretty balanced right now. Leader-Specific units can be perhaps a just a few differences: Gengis Khan might have Mobility for his Kesheks while Kublai would have Mobility for his Trebuchets because of the mobile seige he conducted to take China down. (Although I might be a little but unfair... mayber cheeper but weaker knight that is good against melee for Gengis?)

I would prefer to have HRE and Germany as two distinct civilizations, because they were. One was based in Austria, the other in Prussia. Admittedly, they were both Germanic, but it probably makes only a bit more sense to merge them, than merging, say, Greece and Persia, Rome and France, Britain, Celts, etc. Greece invaded Persia and controlled all of its land, but it was a distinctly different civilization. Same for Rome. But, as said, merging HRE and Germany does make a bit more sense, but not all that much.

Can a Moderator please close this thread? I think this thread has degenerated into a debate on whether we should add more leaders from X age instead of a discussion on whether leaders should have UUs and UBs. I may ask for this thread to re-open or start a new thread about this topic later, but for now, I want this thread to be closed.

Sorry about that slight hijack, but it was still kind of related to it. The more leaders of a particular age you have, the less ability there is to have UUs and UBs. So, if all the leaders are crammed together, this idea would not work. So, there needs to be a more even spread of leaders, with a slight weighting towards the modern era, for relevancy and recentism.

Top Bottom