Best Vanilla science civ?

ZeroxSP7

Chieftain
I'm not new to the game. Just the forum. So hi! I wanna hear what the community has to say about what the best Vanilla civ is for science. I see that the Aztecs can have advantage with their Floating Gardens building. Siam has an advantage with their UA and Wat building. And India's UA is also good. What Vanilla civ is best for a science victory or maximizing science output?

Moderator Action: Moved to General Discussions and Vanilla tag added

Even within Vanilla, the answer depends upon if you have any DLC civs.

Babylon was zero day DLC but even today with two expansions is still considered by many to be the best one when played by a human. The other contender has been Korea since that one was released about 9 or so months after vanilla (still a couple of years before the first expansion came out)

If you don't have any DLC though, I would go with Siam for Wat abuse, especially within Vanilla where you didn't get the free aqueducts from completing Tradition and also where you had to be careful to always had the tech for a cultural building you hadn't yet built whenever completing Legalism.

Yeah I don't have any dlc civs. How exactly do you abuse the Wat? What's the strategy for that?

It still works, in the sense that Legalism will still provide the UBs, but pushing Legalism back one policy makes it more "expensive" in terms of culture cost. It was never all that compelling a strategy, in my view, and is less so now.

Is this still possible in BNW?

It became an inferior tactic with G&K introducing getting 4 free aquaducts from completing the tradition tree and thus giving yet another reason to get the polices behind it early.

It still works, in the sense that Legalism will still provide the UBs, but pushing Legalism back one policy makes it more "expensive" in terms of culture cost. It was never all that compelling a strategy, in my view, and is less so now.

This weeks patch actually would make timing it somewhat easier to pull off in BNW if you complete full Liberty first and are skipping the policies behind Legalism, but of course you'll have to get a "junk" policy to unblock it and those policies behind Legalism are the more valuable policies in the Tradition tree.

Wait so does that mean legalism gives you a free Wat instead of a temple? I'm not really understanding it

Wait so does that mean legalism gives you a free Wat instead of a temple? I'm not really understanding it

Follow the link in post #6 and it explains how (when playing Siam) to get Wats from legalism.

Top Bottom