Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Not having gems or gold is not worth rerolling over. And to you every civ, even Brazil, is an aggressive warmonger.

And to answer your question, no. It hasn't for me.

Why have the admins not banned this guy yet?

Moderator Action: Please do not publicly call for a poster to be banned. If you think he has a post in violation of the rules, please report it, but remember that posts expressing negative opinions are allowed if done in a civil manner.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I'm only 1000 hours in and I'm not playing civ5 as much as I used too, but that's not due to civ5 loosing it's luster. I play the diplomacy game and it is that that has lost it's luster. If I can turn myself into a warmonger then I've got another 1000 hours. Unless you've played every play-style to death then I suggest trying another and sticking with it.

I never re-roll except when there is lot of jungle around as I hate jungle. I suggest you don't re-roll and use what you have been given you might get some excitement back. If you play on Deity then perhaps try the deity challenges as these usually have good starts.
Well as far as re-rolling goes I see it like this; the AI gets massive bonuses even on King. I feel like if I don't have that extra production from Gems; that I'm at a disadvantage. Gems and Gold give you not only +2 Happiness but +2 Production and also +2 gold which helps massively.

I could found the capital with no extra happiness or production; but it would be extremely difficult. In the beginning of the game; AI's like Shaka and Montezuma will declare war early. That +2 gold from Gems helps you have an army early on.

So I could start the game without Gems. But it would set me back. Especially if I'm trying to rush the Great Library.

Why have the admins not banned this guy yet?

Nope, not gonna feed the troll. :lol:

As long as I get some decent resource count, and no tundra, I'm fine. You do not need a specific resource to do anything, just get better at playing. Deal with having the Huns as a neighbour, I have them as a neighbour on a 22 civ duel map, and they are a perfect little attack dog. Make friends early, build 4 cities, if a civ goes hostile, it will insult your empire for being puny, but that's just because they are being mean, no neutral/friendly civ will do that. Build Roads, make trade deals, have gold buildings. Trade routes will help, but these are helpful. I can get +100 gpt with only food trade routes in medieval, using this. AI cities will not 2 shot your units, unless they are industrial swordsman.. But if you have a composite getting attacked by 2 chariots and a city, over 2 turns, it will die.

Well as far as re-rolling goes I see it like this; the AI gets massive bonuses even on King. I feel like if I don't have that extra production from Gems; that I'm at a disadvantage. Gems and Gold give you not only +2 Happiness but +2 Production and also +2 gold which helps massively.

I could found the capital with no extra happiness or production; but it would be extremely difficult. In the beginning of the game; AI's like Shaka and Montezuma will declare war early. That +2 gold from Gems helps you have an army early on.

So I could start the game without Gems. But it would set me back. Especially if I'm trying to rush the Great Library.

Who knew Gems were so powerful? Isn't it Salt everyone says is OP?

Nope, not gonna feed the troll. :lol:

Irony.

As long as I get some decent resource count, and no tundra, I'm fine. You do not need a specific resource to do anything, just get better at playing. Deal with having the Huns as a neighbour, I have them as a neighbour on a 22 civ duel map, and they are a perfect little attack dog. Make friends early, build 4 cities, if a civ goes hostile, it will insult your empire for being puny, but that's just because they are being mean, no neutral/friendly civ will do that. Build Roads, make trade deals, have gold buildings. Trade routes will help, but these are helpful. I can get +100 gpt with only food trade routes in medieval, using this. AI cities will not 2 shot your units, unless they are industrial swordsman.. But if you have a composite getting attacked by 2 chariots and a city, over 2 turns, it will die.
Yes, but going back to the trade routes thing. Say you're next to the Huns and he's just completely steamrolling everybody. So in that situation, you can only trade with the Huns. Now, say the Huns are also allied with every other city. Which I've seen Alexander do...

That means 0 gold from trade routes for you.

Still though; I might try the food trade routes thing you mentioned. Perhaps if I go tradition and use that to get a high pop; I can get a lot of gold.

You say AI cities can't 2 shot units; but I've seen them do it pretty close.

I had Bismarck with 6 Swordsmen and 6 Composite Bows. Egypt's city is guarded by 2 Chariots and like 1 Warrior. My Swordsmen would literally go into his city and die in like 2-3 turns. This wasn't even the capital. Even when I took the other Chariot out; he was still taking out my Swordsmen.

But I was able to re-roll and eventually wiped Egypt off the face of the planet.

My point is though; is that I shouldn't have had that hard of a time.

Moderator Action: "Has Civilization V just lost it's charm" merged into the main rants thread

Also recall that it came out that Firaxis did not play test difficulties higher than default. I have not read anything about them changing that practice for V or BE, but if not, at least they are using better judgment on that.

Slavery being such an integral part of the game was not intentional on the part of the devs, but it was not broken. They would have patched it upon realizing this if it was, but in the end they left it in. Why?

Why? Because the devs are lazy, and leaving it in was the path of least resistance. They got grief for even having it. Then they got grief for it being OP. But they could not take it out without causing themselves more grief because pop rushing caught on quick, and was popular, and the devs didn't otherwise have a good way to balance the game.

Because it promoted a very rich and strategic gameplay.

Lipstick on a pig. Pop rushing is an ugly hack.

Slavery may be the one right choice for a large section of the game, but that doesn't matter because the real tradeoff is whether or not to slave, with there being a tradeoff every time you do so. It isn't a exploit, it is an integral part of the game, and one which makes it a more interesting game to play.

Pop rushing is immersion breaking. It is a terrible gamy mechanic. It makes the game possible to play a higher levels, but that doesn't make it interesting to play. As you note, it wasn't in there intentionally by design, and just because it was popular, it still fits just about definition of “exploit” that you can come up with.

That is different from having multiple streams and only one of them being an appropriate one to take.

Right, the one is an exploit. The other is just that all paths are not equal, and by “appropriate” you mean “stronger”.

Here's a thought exercise for you: Standard SP settings, at the difficulty level you find challenging. Pick your favorite civ, and weaker AI opponents. Assume an above average starting location.

V: You may not open Tradition. You may not open Rationalism.

IV: No pop rushing.

Which game mechanic is fairly characterized as “broken”? Which game mechanic is fairly characterized as not being fully balanced?

Like I stated +2 Production, +2 Happiness and +2 Gold is extremely powerful in the beginning of the game.

There's no bonus production on gems. It's a mine tile that gives some gold per turn.
Salt on the other hand gives both extra food and extra production on top of the money.

Every luxury resource gives happiness. Gems are in no way stronger than other luxuries in that regard.

My rant is I have tried 23 games as Poland (Pangea and Continents) on Prince level. I have not had horses anywhere in any of those games that I started. And yes I kept rerolling.

What good is Poland without horses?

When you get a rubbish reward for finally making it to some ruins!
I play Terra a lot, and love finding and exploring the new world. However it is of course heavily populated with barbs; and after a scout has nearly died several times before finally making it to ruins, I guess I'm expecting something better than "evidence of barbarians..."! Grrrrr!

My rant is I have tried 23 games as Poland (Pangea and Continents) on Prince level. I have not had horses anywhere in any of those games that I started. And yes I kept rerolling.

What good is Poland without horses?

What good is Poland without horses? Very good, actually, as it turns out.
Catapults, composite bowmen, spearmen. None of those require any strategic resources of any kind.
Unless the whole map has no horses at all, you are sure to find some if you settle far and wide or take over enemy cities but simply rolling the map, seeing no nearby horses and then calling it quits is more a personal choice than 'the game has fugged me over'.

1. Wondering how this game got an AAA rating when MultiPlayer wasen't even playable in the first place. Basically instant review rush there.

2. It's been four years, there is no good excuse whatsoever to fix MultiPlayer. Saving money to not invest in making MultiPlayer stability is a horrible excuse.

3. The lobby system... oh boy...

• When a person joins your game don't [snip] reset the city states to the map size.
  • When you're joining a game in the lobby, ACTUALLY consider loading up players BEFORE you give them a notification of "Configuring Game Data" and then immediently get the messages "You have been kicked by the host", "Error Joining MultiPlayer Session" or "Maximum Number of Players" I swear this is the most annoying thing I've ever come across in my 2000 hours.
  • Ignoring the host crash bug is pathetic. It's not an excuse.

4. Get some testers to test the patch via MultiPlayer (like beta opt). Instead of forcing us to disable city states and barbarians because it is more frequent to crash in this patch.

This is pretty much all MultiPlayer. :p

Also, the list function is broken, fix plz.

Moderator Action: Please don't use special chars to evade the auto censor. Word snipped.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Also, the list function is broken, fix plz.
  1. Are you sure list is broken? Seems to work fine for me.
  2. Also please don't use text speak, especially as many people here are not native English speakers.
  3. Thanks

I love this game but the diplomacy is ridiculous. Case in point: my latest Deity game I started within 10 tiles of Bismarck's capital. He forward settled me with his second settler. I DoWed him and stole a worker, and then stole another one from a CS under his protection. Then we made peace, and less than 5 turns later he came up to me with...A denouncement? A DoW? Nope...he asked me to make a declaration of friendship!

Like what the crap. He should have hated my guts by that point.

I love this game but the diplomacy is ridiculous. Case in point: my latest Deity game I started within 10 tiles of Bismarck's capital. He forward settled me with his second settler. I DoWed him and stole a worker, and then stole another one from a CS under his protection. Then we made peace, and less than 5 turns later he came up to me with...A denouncement? A DoW? Nope...he asked me to make a declaration of friendship!

Like what the crap. He should have hated my guts by that point.

you are confusing diplomacy with interpersotal relations of teenagers. e.g. irl european states fought each other countless times switching alliances and backstabbing, but now they're all friends. its strategic goals what is considered in diplomacy not sentiments.

Actually I didn't know there was a special censor in this forum. And I did censor it myself with these "*".

Unless of course, if that counts as swearing here. :hmm:

Also:

If you intentionally bypass the autocensor (i.e. using various tricks so that the autocensor does not remove your word) and the meaning / intent of the word can be easily interpreted, you will be infracted. You may use a string of symbols such as #!%&*#@ to express yourself, as long as no specific meaning can be derived from the combination of symbols or how the symbols fit with the English language text around it.
Acceptable:
$%&$#@*#^
[note that in acceptable use, there is no surrounding context from which the precise meaning of the symbols can be inferred, just symbols]

Top Bottom