Piety required for Cultural Victory?

wideframehoss

Chieftain
I'm playing a huge pangaea map on Emperor. It seems my only option to become influential on the higher culture civs aside from domination is to purchase a bunch of great musicians post internet.

You don't need Piety. The only relevant Piety policies are Organized Religion (+1 faith from shrines and temples) and the Reformation Belief To the Glory of God (allows purchasing of any type of Great Person, if you can get that belief before the AI grabs it), and neither is compelling. The +2 faith per city might help you buy the 2500 faith Great Musician, but even that is questionable. Leaving aside whether the AI grabs TGoG before you get it, in a culture game you will be completing the Aesthetics policy tree anyway, so you won't need TGoG to faith-buy Great Musicians.

And before you ask, Mandate of Heaven's 20% discount on the faith costs of religious buildings and units does NOT apply to faith purchases of Great Persons.

Thanks for the response. I forgot the aesthetics finisher allowed purchasing great musicians with faith.

Piety isn't even recommended for Cultural Victory in BNW.
The safest fast path is normally:

1. Full Tradition

2. Start Aesthetics while waiting to be allowed into Rationalism

3. Rationalism

4. finishing aesthetics and getting the tent(s) with tourism bonuses.

Piety isn't even recommended for Cultural Victory in BNW.
The safest fast path is normally:

1. Full Tradition

2. Start Aesthetics while waiting to be allowed into Rationalism

3. Rationalism

4. finishing aesthetics and getting the tent(s) with tourism bonuses.

Really?

I'm attempting my first cultural game and did:

Tradition>Patronage (First two policies)
>Aethsistcs
>Opened exploration

Never thought rationalism was needed.

Really?

I'm attempting my first cultural game and did:

Tradition>Patronage (First two policies)
>Aethsistcs
>Opened exploration

Never thought rationalism was needed.

Faster science (from rationalism) means you'll reach hotels, airports, national visitor center, and the Internet faster.

you mean SS ICS? I'm not sure if it's as viable on emperor as it is on the easier difficulties, but I definitely think it's not possible on immortal+ because the AI grabs land much earlier and is quick to grab religious buildings.

rationalism is always good, no matter the difficulty level. you don't necessarily have to finish it, but the bonuses in there are huge. science is IMO the greatest mechanic that allows you to come back/get ahead.

you mean SS ICS? I'm not sure if it's as viable on emperor as it is on the easier difficulties, but I definitely think it's not possible on immortal+ because the AI grabs land much earlier and is quick to grab religious buildings.

rationalism is always good, no matter the difficulty level. you don't necessarily have to finish it, but the bonuses in there are huge. science is IMO the greatest mechanic that allows you to come back/get ahead.

I agree, science fuels everything.

dont know what is ss ics..
this liberty-piety strategy was posted by some guy in the strategy subforum
i play emperor and it works pretty good there, dont know about immortal+ but the author claimed he used it to beat deity. maybe it was pre science penalty though...

As long as you have some way of getting faith other than standard shrines and temples (faith panthon, religious CS, faith-generating unique), SS should be doable on Emperor. In fact, with piety and ICS-style play, it might even be doable even if shrines and temples are your only options. I haven't tried it on Immortal+, although I imagine it's not a reliable way to win on Deity.

As long as you have some way of getting faith other than standard shrines and temples (faith panthon, religious CS, faith-generating unique), SS should be doable on Emperor. In fact, with piety and ICS-style play, it might even be doable even if shrines and temples are your only options. I haven't tried it on Immortal+, although I imagine it's not a reliable way to win on Deity.

On the high difficulty levels I find that most religious buildings beliefs are taken. So with the ICS and liberty I think you might found 8 cities with shrines and temples and one religious building, conservatively speaking. That comes to 48 raw tourism. Getting a religion shouldn't be too hard if your primary lux can give faith, but Sacred Sites isn't so much about generating faith as it is about getting enough culture.

Getting SS means you need to put 3 policies + opener into piety, and probably 2 + opener into liberty. Compare it to getting a normal religion with full tradition and piety opener, and I would probably go tradition. The other problem is that if you spread your religion, the AI also gets SS, and that's something I don't like. For me aesthetics is still the tree you want to eventually fill.

On the high difficulty levels I find that most religious buildings beliefs are taken.

True. Playing immortal (typically 9 player small map) if I have a good faith start (desert folklore etc) as Byzantium it is highly likely to get two religious buildings when they found. Not likely to get a third when they enhance. Getting faith buildings is much more competitive than getting SS. You could almost consider liberty first and piety as second tree.

Yeah, I think Collective Rule into Reformation is the way to go. In my last SS game on Emperor, I actually went Mandate of heaven before Reformation because I had Oracle coming and no other AIs were far into Piety. But yes, I would agree that the problem is the religious buildings. If you can't get 2 buildings, SS probably won't work.

Faster science (from rationalism) means you'll reach hotels, airports, national visitor center, and the Internet faster.
So, in your view, what is the best SP choices?

Finish T-then open patronage and take 1-2+Exploration opener+Aetshtics-Finish Rationailsim-Then finish A then Ideologoly?

So, in your view, what is the best SP choices?

Finish T-then open patronage and take 1-2+Exploration opener+Aetshtics-Finish Rationailsim-Then finish A then Ideologoly?

1. Standard Tradition start.

2. Open Aesthetics

3. Rationalism

4. Complete Aeshetics

5. If none of the AIs have bothered to complete Louve, open Exploration

6. Ideology getting the level 3 tourism tenents

This will give a much faster cultural victory competition than delaying the speed up in guild great people by going into patronage (possible exception of this is a huge map with the default number of AIs on a huge map, but huge map type isn't really made for cultural victory anyway.)

Top Bottom