Team Free Embassy

If we're popping huts, we may want to get Republic from FREE before that in order to strike it off the list.

:eek: :wallbash: You are right!

That would really leave us thinking about chance, fate and Murphy's law and all that stuff... :mischief:

So rather get Republic now (HBR next turn - pop also?) :old:

:hmm: For some reason I thought you could only get the cheapest tech available from a popped hut. Oh well, if that's not so then we'd best get this letter revised and sent off to FREE as soon as possible!

Greetings Friends from FREE!

We thank you for sending us your new Code of Laws. This will certainly help us to run our Council meetings more efficiently. We are a bit concerned about the reports of anarchy in your country but hope your expiriment with republic works well for you and quiets the unrest. We would like to request that you send us the secrets of republic now (with accept!).

We have been trying to learn how to ride horses since we liked the idea of trying to figure out which horse can run the fastest. Perhaps one day when we learn the secrets of currency we'll be able to easily place wagers on this. Right now all we can bet on is who will be able to stay on a horse the longest before getting thrown off and all we have are these huge colorful rocks to wager with. Ah, well, I digress from official business so back to it. We will have mastered these beasts soon and will send you the secrets of horseback riding at our first opportunity.

Have your people met any other civilizations yet? Have you done much exploring?

donsig
Speaking with the words of The Council

This is version number two and requests republic now. Comments?

EDIT: The save is ours again (turn 85). We'll have HBR on turn 86 so we need to get a letter to them soon if we want republic in time.

I too was under the impression that you can only get the cheapest tech...

I'm quite indifferent either way. If we get Republic from FREE now, then we are helping SABER, but we rule out the possibility of getting it from a hut (if that's possible at all). IF I have to choose, I would probably take my chances and not trade for republic.

I'll wait with playing until late tonight (CET) so that we have some time to decide.

I'll wait with playing until late tonight (CET) so that we have some time to decide.

OK. I think we should send a note to FREE (whichever version we decide upon) soon after we play this turn.

If I get time later I'll try to find the discussion we had about popping techs. If anyone knows for sure (about only popping the cheapest tech) please post. My position is that we should get republic now if there's a chance of us popping it. If there is no chance of doing that then I'd rather hold off on getting republic until we're ready to switch (or until SABER gets it).

OK. I think we should send a note to FREE (whichever version we decide upon) soon after we play this turn.

If I get time later I'll try to find the discussion we had about popping techs. If anyone knows for sure (about only popping the cheapest tech) please post. My position is that we should get republic now if there's a chance of us popping it. If there is no chance of doing that then I'd rather hold off on getting republic until we're ready to switch (or until SABER gets it).

I don't know anything for sure about what tech you get when you pop a hut, though I will say that I have played a lot of fast science games with Russia, using her scouts to hut pop my way to the middle ages. In my experience you virtually always get the cheapest available tech, the one noticeable exception is that I would often get literature before maths, maybe because lit is an optional tech different rules apply to it, if this is so then they might also apply to Republic :confused:

you can get a more expensive tech, but I don't see us getting Republic before anything else.

:confused: What does that mean, you "don't see us..."?
Is it impossible? I didn't see it yet also, I have no proof but the feeling I had other techs than the cheapest, but I really don't know for sure.

I looked at Oystein's thread in the War Academy, there was a question on this issue but no answer to it... :ack:

Okay, if nobody knows for sure we should delay getting Republic, if we pop it we have at least a nice exception to the unwritten rule :dunno:

sorry :) I have gotten more expensive techs when popping huts, but I don't think I've ever seen republic popped from a hut when something else is there.

We can put research on republic if we are worried

Well, if we don't know for sure about popping republic and the chances of popping any tech are not too great anyway then we should balance that against giving SABER a break on researching republic. I guess I'm with Paul#42 and am willing to delay getting republic if we're not sure about this.

Of course it would really be annoying if we did pop republic after all this since it would give SABER that break! :crazyeye:

I think we wanted to block mysticism rather than republic. FREE has the save and I'm not sure which version we want to send! :eek:

I'm going with version 1 since we can always not accept republic (and ask FREE to send it later) if that's our consensus. Sending this to FREE's g-mail account.

Greetings Friends from FREE!

We thank you for sending us your new Code of Laws. This will certainly help us to run our Council meetings more efficiently. We are a bit concerned about the reports of anarchy in your country but hope your expiriment with republic works well for you and quiets the unrest. We would like to request that you send us the secrets of republic now (with accept!).

We have been trying to learn how to ride horses since we liked the idea of trying to figure out which horse can run the fastest. Perhaps one day when we learn the secrets of currency we'll be able to easily place wagers on this. Right now all we can bet on is who will be able to stay on a horse the longest before getting thrown off and all we have are these huge colorful rocks to wager with. Ah, well, I digress from official business so back to it. We will have mastered these beasts soon and will send you the secrets of horseback riding at our first opportunity.

Have your people met any other civilizations yet? Have you done much exploring?

donsig
Speaking with the words of The Council

EDIT: I also pmmed this to CommandoBob.

Indeed, we have to block Mysticism already.

FREE has sent the Republic. Do we accept or not? Please cast your votes! I can hold for about 16 hrs until we need to play (but I would prefer to play sooner).

I vote we don't accept republic yet, chances are we wont pop a tech and I don't want to give Saber a bonus on researching Republic.

I vote to accept. Chances that we pop a tech are not negligeble, and I don't want that to be Republic. The bonus to research for SABER is not that large, and they won't be long from it at any rate.

Don't accept Republic.

Although, when it comes down to it, we're just knocking a couple turns at most off of SABER's research.

we will more likely get currency than Republic if we block mysticism.

I'm ok with getting Republic - heck, we could tell Free that we'll lower their research cost on it for them, in return for the currency/construction deal without trade restrictions.

For perspective, monopoly research cost of republic is 840 beakers. This drops to 735 if one civ (that SABER knows) knows republic. It keeps going down by about 100 beakers for each additional civ that knows republic. Meaning that we're saving SABER about 100 beakers if we accept.

It seems we have 2 votes for accepting republic (Niklas and AT) and 2 votes against (Aigburth and Peter). I'll play tomorrow morning, so we all have some time to vote :).

I'll withhold my vote to break a tie if needed. If there's a tie, I'll vote for accepting - 100 beakers for SABER is not worth risking a useless tech pop IMO.

If SABER is researching at the rate of 50 beakers per turn then we only save them 2 turns. We've put some good effort into the hut popping coordination and we've got two chances to pop either currency or polytheism if we take republic. I vote we accept it, pop those huts and see what we get!

BTW, if we do get currency then we can stock gold while FREE finishes mysticism and learns polytheism. (Or we can research monarchy if we want Hanging Gardens.) If we pop polytheism we can start right away researching currency while FREE makes gold.

Why would we need to get republic right now if we aren't ready for a revolution yet, because we should build the great lighthouse?

We want it to make sure that the huts we are popping will not give us Republic.

EDIT: Wee, we popped Currency!! :D

We have popped Currency! This ends our part of the MAAP, and we're now waiting for FREE to finish their side.

Since FREE is still in anarchy, we could propose that we will research Mysticism to speed things up. They can pay in cash, or give us a discount on an MA tech, whichever they prefer. We can start research next turn and finish in 4. We'll transfer the tech to them immediately, so they can start on Poly after that.

Also, if the barbs near Chamsuri's Cove become threatening, we may need to use FREE as our banker to safeguard our money for a short time while we get some warriors in place to deal with the threat.

Finally, we should start talks with FREE on extending the MAAP into the MA.

Top Bottom