Civilization 5 Rants Thread

surely the OP here has to be done for trolling? seriously.

Moderator Action: Calling others a troll is not allowed, please report a post if you feel it is breaking the rules.

its imortal, its meant to be hard. be that through cheating or not. didnt previous versions have the same start up boost for the ai? more than one settler, im thinking III.

this is the game you choose to play.

face up to it or play a lower level.

Deity can be damn tricky but it can be beaten. ive beaten it. sometimes, but not every time. and even without a fantastical start. is it possible that patience is needed here? the game is how many turns long? and the OP has spat the dummy by turn 100 because he isnt where he wants or thinks he should be.

sorry if this is an offensive post but come on people....

I play on Imortal mostly, and I'd say I win a majority of the time, but the truth is I don't finish most games after I feel that I'm winning. The point of levels 7 and 8 is that you start off at a huge disadvantage and have to fight your way back to get even/ahead. By then I usually lose interest because playing it out is trivial.

If you can't handle being "behind" most of the game, then move down. It's my opinion that once you're "even" with the AI you've already won.

If you play with this mentality the game might interest you for another 100-200 turns (but maybe not...it's still hard for me to stay interested).

I still have a really hard time with deity though, but I have beaten it once in many tries. I just find Immortal is closer to my skill level.

If you want my general strat, I usually settle a second city early then buy a library there to get NC in my capital. I don't always do that, though that is my preferred start. After that it varies by civ/map/other factors. I do that so I can produce settlers/military while building the NC (depending on the start).

edit: ooh, this thread got moved as I was replying.

Off-topic, but:

I haven't played Civ 5 for months now. I might as well uninstall it and uninstall Steam as well (a bonus). I really only play Civ 4 RtW these days. I might wait for a few years and expansions to be released give it a try. In the meantime I'll unsubscribe from the Civ 5 discussion forums and place my focus on Civ 4 for the foreseeable future.

Of the Series of games I have played;
Bold = Favorites
... = did not play in the series

... Sim City 2000, Sim City 3000, Sim City 4, ...
... Caesar III, Pharoah, Zeus, ...
Age of Empires, Age of Empires II, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (used AoE II engine), ...
Close Combat I, Close Combat II, Close Combat III, Close Combat IV, ...
Shogun:Total War, Medieval:Total War, Rome:Total War, Medieval II:Total War, Empire:Total War, Napoleon:Total War
... Civilization II, Civilization III, Civilization IV, Civilization IV:Colonization, Civilization V

Given my own experience with other Strategy Series, I have to now admit that Civ 5 like other series before it can lose their "mojo" and this more than anything means I am right in uninstalling it.

Good Bye Civ 5 and long live Civ 4 ...

1) Sim City 4 + Rush Hour was awesome, how could you not like it? It was my favourite in the series and really a show to how sequels are meant to be; not just snapping up graphics but snapping up gameplay as well.

2) I used to think like you but after my market people start wandering off to god knows where due to the lack of roadblocks I promptly ragequitted. Eugh. How could you like C3. Have you tried Emperor: ROTMK? It's definitely the best in the series.

3) I love you.

4) Don't disagree with you there, but M2:TW with Stainless Steel mod is a great game. Obviously it doesn't count since it's a mod...

5) To be fair Civ 4 had quite a bad release as well. Remember how OP Russia was, with 18 strength, 4 movement, +100% combat to almost everything cossacks? How 'spearman beats tank, or atleast puts it to 0.1hp' was the most prevalent? IMO Civ 3 had the best release but Civ 4 ended up as the much better game.

I am finding many exterior aspects of Civilization V to be frustrating that should have been resolved well before release.

1. I cannot play the game with DirectX 10/11. I have done everything suggested on every forum board to no avail. (No, I am not going to post my specs.) I should not have to do diddly squat to ini files or graphics settings or make any other changes to be able to play a game on my computer if my computer rig meets the minimum specs. It should work out of the box. All of the MMO's I play seem to be capable of analyzing my computer specs and adjusting to them, why not this game?

2. The game resets to the default starting settings every time you want to start a new game. I can remember a patch for an earlier Civilization release that added the feature of always keeping the previously set starting options, why in the world would a developer leave it out this time around?

3. Starting a game requires multiple steps to load and disabling the starting movie may keep the movie from playing but the game still takes the same amount of time to get to the warning screen...which I should be able to opt out of showing after the first hundred or so times.

Issues like those three are things that will doom Civilization 5 to be a short lived success. The casual players that should find Civilization 5 easier to play will be turned off by the complications that spring up in just trying to start the frelling game.

As for gameplay issues...
1. Resources in Civilization 5 are boring. There is little distinction between resources of the same category, especially with health being removed from the game.
2. Removing transports from the game seems a move only made to make things easier for the AI or to over-simplify gameplay. If the devs were concerned about transports causing crowding problems with 1 unit per tile, they could have given transports a different ruleset for stacking.
3. 1 unit per tile is a nice concept for military land units but silly when it comes to naval and air units as well as workers and settlers, at least when those units are in a city. It would be nice to have structures or improvements that would allow an additional unit or two to be garrisoned in a single hex.
4. Trading posts? Really? Can't we think of something more interesting to put in the tile? (Almost as bad as the windmill spam in Civ 4)
5. No world-builder, the lack of one tells me who the intended audience really is.

I have other issues with the game but the first three are game killers in my opinion. I first posted on this board back when Civ 3 was first released, noting that it was broken out of the box. The Devs slowly improved the game to the fine strategy game it is now. Hopefully the same thing will happen to Civ 5.

Sooooooo,

Dissent will not be tolerated eh? Free discourse is a violation? You will quarantine what we say because you disagree huh?

Cowardice.

Consider me disgusted.

Don't worry... I've been screwed one too many times by this. Look at the unending list of infatuations on my account.

Rants. This game sucks so bad. I really hate this game. May be my let down of 2010. I guess that's pretty good though. If this crappy game is the worst thing to happen to me in all of 2010. I had a pretty good year though. I hope this dog game is the worst thing to happen to me in 2011 but jeez it is frustrating. I need to just try IV again, but I can bring myself to reinstall. My car repairs in 2010 were expensive but this game gives me a worse feeling than spending a lot of money to get my car repaired. I guess because when the car is repaired it is a car and that's pretty awesome. Think about it, I have my own personal transport. I can drive to Acapulco tomorrow if I want to. It's the middle of winter and I can drive over the Rockies in a day. I am a king amongst men and all it cost is some money. Whereas this game won't get repaired and it will never have as much finesse, spunk or pizazz as its predecessors. It's also buggy, glitchy, laggy, unrewarding, simple, tedious, monotonous, wrist-breaking, crashing, bipolar, incompetent, et al.

Rants. This game sucks so bad. I really hate this game. May be my let down of 2010. I guess that's pretty good though. If this crappy game is the worst thing to happen to me in all of 2010. I had a pretty good year though. I hope this dog game is the worst thing to happen to me in 2011 but jeez it is frustrating. I need to just try IV again, but I can bring myself to reinstall. My car repairs in 2010 were expensive but this game gives me a worse feeling than spending a lot of money to get my car repaired. I guess because when the car is repaired it is a car and that's pretty awesome. Think about it, I have my own personal transport. I can drive to Acapulco tomorrow if I want to. It's the middle of winter and I can drive over the Rockies in a day. I am a king amongst men and all it cost is some money. Whereas this game won't get repaired and it will never have as much finesse, spunk or pizazz as its predecessors. It's also buggy, glitchy, laggy, unrewarding, simple, tedious, monotonous, wrist-breaking, crashing, bipolar, incompetent, et al.

That's a pretty awesome rant. :)

I think the game does have potential to be fixed, though the probability is far less than that of your car. Also, the people working to fix it likely aren't the ones getting paid. :( (modders)

I think the game does have potential to be fixed,

Clearly I have the potential to become prime minister/president/chancellor, too.

My proof? Give me some time, don't be impatient, others have been even worse, things like this actually *do* happen...

Clearly I have the potential to become prime minister/president/chancellor, too.

My proof? Give me some time, don't be impatient, others have been even worse, things like this actually *do* happen...

Well GWB did it.... :rolleyes:

I am sorry but I myself disagree with you Civ V AI sucks so bad my dog randomly pressing stuff would win a conquest victory on king =S

Moderator Action: This post got merged from a thread, which itself got merged into the raves thread.

POS game crashes like nobody's business. GOTY for crashing and having prohibitive startup and load times. Garbage game made from garbage behaves like garbage smells like garbage.

1. Resources in Civilization 5 are boring. There is little distinction between resources of the same category, especially with health being removed from the game.

WTH are you on about? Have you even played this game?

WTH are you BOTH about? Have you even... nah just kidding. Just bringing some light in what seems to be a very negative vibe in this thread.

WTH are you BOTH about? Have you even... nah just kidding. Just bringing some light in what seems to be a very negative vibe in this thread.

This is a serious rants thread. WTH>?!

Seriously now, the hotfix and I still crash. I will try DX9 and maybe no crash!!

I am tired of the AI declaring war on me when they have no easy way to reach me, and wouldn't do any real damage even if they did. I feel that the AI declaring war should follow the typically MMO - means, motive and opportunity. The AI must have all three to declare war!

The casual players that should find Civilization 5 easier to play will be turned off by the complications that spring up in just trying to start the game.
I just wanted to re-iterate this.

They turn off the long-time fans by "streamlining" the game, which itself has enough bugs/flaws to turn off the casual gamers it's been "streamlined" for.

I am sorry but I myself disagree with you Civ V AI sucks so bad my dog randomly pressing stuff would win a conquest victory on king
I had some success with editing XMLs to eliminate this. The game is still tactically too easy for a human, but the AI won't be stopped by a single city defended by a lone archer (ie I can't repeat defending against two invading neighboring AIs with just an archer and a scout; I have to *gasp* build more units).

Now if only I could reduce city healing...

7) Downloadable *paid* content; especially charging for map packs.*

8) No-stacking (you should at least be able to stack 2 units).

9) Removal of religion (some of my best civ 4'ing was starting a jewish crusade as germany :) ).

10) Total dumbing down of the whole game; screwing over the hardcore players (us) and giving in to the mainstream.

*This relates to #10 since hardcore gamers like us have been getting awesome maps from CFC forever (for free). C'mon Steam/Firaxis, how stupid do you think we are?

give us religion or give us death, I can handle the no stacking(have to think now)

happiness just suck's, I want to expand mindless early on and now I can't, so back to civ 1 or civ 3

Top Bottom