Godlike deity players lose when...

t220!? Can you share that game?

I don't think I've ever seen an AI do that well. Sub 250 usually requires optimal timing strategies and scientist saving/bulbing which only humans can employ. At least that's what I thought. My Deity AI rarely finish below T290 even. Usually going wide punishes them a bit on science though the AI does get a lower penalty. I'd be very curious to investigate his empire that game. That time would beat a lot of speed science GOTM game times too.

EDIT: just realized this might've been on quick speed as well...I thought you meant standard.

If it's really T220 standard standard map, I would love to see it.

Only time I ever bothered with deity is that I just rolled whatever start I got and went with it. Was an grasslands start with few hills and a single luxury. Is workable but too terrible for deity.

My Army of warriors/spearmen/scouts and a couple of archers fought off an ancient era rush from Egypt plus some other AI at same time, they tried to dog pile me. My Army formed two lines protecting the capital and then collapsed in the centre creating a V formation on both sides effectively flanking the enemy army who invaded me on both sides with my capital supporting the battle and archers was able to shoot at both armies easily enough.

Both armies got wiped out to a man by their own arrogance.

Both of the AIs was pretty sore about that and went for peace for maybe next hundred turns and then rolled in and defeated my swordmen easily because they was fighting against riflemen and better units. That didn't impress me too much about deity. I wanted better wars. And it was only available during ancient era on deity, sadly.

This one battle just sticks in my mind because it ranks as one of my most interesting wars I've had during ancient era.

It was quick speed. I've only played a few dozen quick and epic/marathon games, so not sure whether AI win times can go lower.

Only time I ever bothered with deity is that I just rolled whatever start I got and went with it. Was an grasslands start with few hills and a single luxury. Is workable but too terrible for deity.

My Army of warriors/spearmen/scouts and a couple of archers fought off an ancient era rush from Egypt plus some other AI at same time, they tried to dog pile me. My Army formed two lines protecting the capital and then collapsed in the centre creating a V formation on both sides effectively flanking the enemy army who invaded me on both sides with my capital supporting the battle and archers was able to shoot at both armies easily enough.

Both armies got wiped out to a man by their own arrogance.

Both of the AIs was pretty sore about that and went for peace for maybe next hundred turns and then rolled in and defeated my swordmen easily because they was fighting against riflemen and better units. That didn't impress me too much about deity. I wanted better wars. And it was only available during ancient era on deity, sadly.

This one battle just sticks in my mind because it ranks as one of my most interesting wars I've had during ancient era.

Yeah if you want to feel like Sparta vs. Persian Empire then playing Deity for early rushes is a fun game. :) I love those experiences. Only on Deity can the AI field such large armies!

You do have to really prioritize science though or you will be left behind as you experienced. I'm usually not far behind even in midgame these days, even if your science output is worse then theirs if you can make a friend and be sending a few trade routes back and forth those alone can keep you 3-4 techs behind while you build up your empire. This happens because the trade routes give you extra science and you get a science discount for being near last-place and the AI having researched techs before you. Once you get near industrial you should be caught up but if you aren't beelining plastics and saving money to buy a few research labs will secure you the lead position usually.

220 on quick is approximately 330 on standard, so not that surprising.

220 on quick is approximately 330 on standard, so not that surprising.

I don't think it works like that. Speed may be 35% faster, but unit movement etc. stays the same. The ai will never be able to translate the 35% increase into an equivalent reduction in turns.

Perhaps not. My first SVs on Quick speed were in the 200's which is about right if you translate it to Standard which would make it ~300

I only recently moved up to deity, so I can remember both games I lost.

The first was against Greece who won a diplomatic victory. I went democracy and had just unlocked the T3 tenant that gives a bonus to diplomacy with city states. The AI countered by Greece declaring war on me, and since he had all the city states locked up I couldn't steal any of them away from him.

The second was a weird game, it was playing perfect world 3. An AI civ conquered all the other civs on his continent and gained a huge technology lead. He won a science victory with a 10 tech lead on everyone else.

Top Bottom