game will not start on windows 10 please help

beckett87

Chieftain
I bought this second hand and I am trying to install it on windows 10, it does install fully but when I try to start the game it says please login as administrator and try again. I have looked into this and changed the compatibility to run as administrator. Now when I try to load the game through shortcut it just does nothing but when I try starting the game through the disc drive with autorun.exe I can get to the main page where it says play and read me but when I clicked play it just goes away, any help please.

Unce upon a time there was a good post who explain the reason for this issue and how this could be solved. But then trillions of users open new threads with exactly the same question again and again and nobody is able to find the good explanation.
Now we're dammed to get this question every month.

I do not want spent any time to search ist for you but look for s.bernbaums posts in this technical subforum.
Keywords are: copy protection, Patch 3.19 and self sign of SecureRom driver.

yeah I just needed an answer after spending hours trying to figure it out not a sarcastic comment from some dick

It is most likely that the problem that you are having is due to a security update that MSFT released last fall. Among other things it prevented the copy protection scheme used by many older games, including CIV, from working properly. The result is that when the game tries to access the copy protection program to verify the disc, it is unable to do so and the game won't start up. Using Windows 7, you can work around the problem, in order to get the game to start up. The work around is discussed in the thread "Please login with administrator privileges and try again" below in this forum.

For Windows 10, the work around will no longer work because MSFT removed the copy protection software entirely, rather than turning it off, which is what the Windows 7 patch did.

However, the "Beyond the Sword" (BTS) expansion disc for the game, with the game patch 3.19, will work on Windows 10 because BTS patched to 3.19 no longer uses any copy protection, so it works fine without the work around. You can download the 3.19 patch for free from the "Patch & Update" section of these forums.

The final option, which probably won't do you much good, is to buy the download online version of CIV from one of the content providers, such as Steam. Those don't use the now deactivated copy protection scheme.

I've done as suggested and got the patch. Then I opened up a folder that appeared, and I got two things, one called CivBeyondTheSwordPatch3.19 and one called The Patches Scrolls. I think the second one doesn't do anything.

I click on the first one and a box appears titled "Compressed (zipped) folders" and it says it's recommended that you first extract all files.

I don't know what "extract" means, but there's a button labelled "extract all" so I click it, and then up comes a new box asking me to select a destination. The one it offers me is "C:\Users\madel\Downloads\civ4beyondtheswordpatch3.19" but I don't know if this is the right place, and before I even have a chance to see if it will accept other destinations, another box arrives with the message "Windows cannot complete the extraction, the destination folder could not be created."

Is anyone able to tell me what to do? Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom