AI can just steal land with no consequences?

Somohexual

Chieftain
In my current game I used a GG to take neutral tiles that were touching the Polish and Incan borders, who are both my friends. Suddenly Poland steals a chunk of those tiles with his own GG and a few turns later the Inca do the same. Now there's one Cotton tile surrounded by 3 Citadels. >.>

Does the AI not even recognize when they steal your land? I talked to both civs and they acted like nothing happened. On the other hand, if you steal land from a civ they'll basically hate you for the rest of the game. Is there no diplomatic interaction (like when you catch one of their spies and they apologize) for this? D:

Spoiler :

There are consequences. Clearly you're upset by it. Teach them a lesson :)

- They steal land often, it makes a lot of sense for them most of the time. It does upset people, and they do have to deal with it against the other AIs just like you do.

In my most recent game, Washington used Manifest Destiny to take two resource tiles from one of my cities... there were consequences, in that he lost his capital and became my vassal. The AI will do whatever it thinks it can get away with, so if you get pushed, you gotta push back. The AIs will certainly hold grudges against each other as well.

When things like this happen I just assume the AI had a vision of the inevitable future where I burn all their cities and leave the ground fallow for barbarian farming.

Can't blame them for being a touch edgy.

In my most recent game, Washington used Manifest Destiny to take two resource tiles from one of my cities... there were consequences, in that he lost his capital and became my vassal. The AI will do whatever it thinks it can get away with, so if you get pushed, you gotta push back. The AIs will certainly hold grudges against each other as well.

I usually let Washington keep one backwater city so I can nuke him repeatedly later on.

I've been BFF's with Pachacuti all game and, as you can see, his empire is pretty huge. Ugh, I just don't want to piss off one of my most reliable, powerful allies. D:

I've been BFF's with Pachacuti all game and, as you can see, his empire is pretty huge. Ugh, I just don't want to piss off one of my most reliable, powerful allies. D:

I don't know how much of a factor it is when it comes to land grabbing, but my experience is that most AIs will not respect you one bit if their military is significantly more powerful than yours, even if you seem like friends. Force is the only thing they really respect, and you have to be willing to use it. I notice in the game after I crushed Washington utterly, my other neighbor, China, who was uneasy and friends with Washington is now chummy and agreeable with me. Maybe she'll eventually backstab me, but experience tells me that as long as I have a bigger military, that's unlikely, so insincerity will become sincerity in that case.

I have no idea if the AI takes into account military power when it comes to stealing tiles specifically, though. It seems like they should, but it also seems like one of those things they probably don't.

I don't know how much of a factor it is when it comes to land grabbing, but my experience is that most AIs will not respect you one bit if their military is significantly more powerful than yours, even if you seem like friends. Force is the only thing they really respect, and you have to be willing to use it. I notice in the game after I crushed Washington utterly, my other neighbor, China, who was uneasy and friends with Washington is now chummy and agreeable with me. Maybe she'll eventually backstab me, but experience tells me that as long as I have a bigger military, that's unlikely, so insincerity will become sincerity in that case.

I have no idea if the AI takes into account military power when it comes to stealing tiles specifically, though. It seems like they should, but it also seems like one of those things they probably don't.

That makes sense. D:

I wish other civs could *sometimes* actually become your true ally, assuming both of your preferred win conditions are compatible (Diplo/Cultural, Science/Cultural, etc).

That makes sense. D:

I wish other civs could *sometimes* actually become your true ally, assuming both of your preferred win conditions are compatible (Diplo/Cultural, Science/Cultural, etc).

That's the problem you run into in a game with only one winner. If you could have "joint" victories or something maybe it would be more feasible but eventually they're going to try to stop you from winning, or you try to stop them.

Welp, I'm probably screwed. D:

Spoiler :

His empire is even bigger now; he killed off Poland and has the Shoshone capitol completely surrounded.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile:
- Arabia in the north-east attacks me at regular intervals with his technologically superior infantry and navy.
- England directly to the north finally declared war on me, but is thankfully distracted by an allied Almaty (CS) and a city it captured.
- Brazil won't give up trying to retake the city of Curtiba, even though he's tried and failed four times already.

- Korea and Austria have gifted me multiple resources and technologies (BFF's), but are busy trying to exterminate Assyria with India.
- Rome and the Shoshone are kinda just trying to avoid pissing off one of their bigger neighbors.

Hmm... that will probably add in a whole lot of inconsistencies to the balance IMHO.

Some of the traits do feel much stronger than others, but I like how it differentiates the leaders from one another. I just wish there was a nerfed version that I could use.

Top Bottom