Unofficial Civ4 GameSpy Multiplayer Firewall/Router Port Forwarding Guide

wc3promet

Warlord

Tired of the Infinite looping of "Contacting/Connecting Host/Peer" messages on GameSpy?

I make it quick, here's the list of the ports (both TCP and UDP) that you need to open/forward on your Router and Firewall:

* 6667 (IRC)
* 2033 (Civ4)
* 2056 (Civ4)
* 47624 (Directplay)
* 3783 (Voice Chat Port)
* 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
* 28900 (Master Server List Request)
* 29900 (GP Connection Manager)
* 29901 (GP Search Manager)
* 13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
* 6500 (Query Port)
* 6515 (Dplay UDP)
* 2300-2400 (DirectPlay - UDP)

References and Thanks:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=35588
http://www.gamespyarcade.com/helpers/workshop/routers/
http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/firewalls.shtml

EDIT: Updated Again

One little question...
(I must admit that I'm a bit embarrassed, but)

I don't know how to open these ports. I ended up with the router from my student house, however I don't have any of the manuals/info associated with it.
I just plug it in and use it. :blush:

So, how do I open these ports?
Do I need a proggy to communicate with the router?

My router is a Lnksys BEFSR81.

Thanks!

Wow. Thanks auldian.

One question though...
For the points mentioned above, how do I open/forward them?
See the screenie for what I'm dealing with.

I assume I've opened the correct tab. I really just don't want to screw up my network....

I have a hell of a time playing online games - it cuts out every 4 turns or so. Is this because these ports aren't opened? Or wouldn't that mean I won't be able to connect at all?

edit: by cuts out - I mean that it does that "someone is not connected-vote" box. (I have only tried to play 2-player.)

Regardless, thanks for your help auldian - at the very least, I now know how to screw around with my router...

Whoops. Here's the screenie:

Attachments

• router.jpg
    router.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 3,219
I'm hoping someone can help me with a firewall problem so that I can join the games...

I opened all the ports listed in this thread. I am able to access the multiplayer console and chat with other players, however no games appear in the upper half of the screen.

I have been only able so far to play LAN-LAN only if I am not the one hosting the game.

Any ideas? did I miss a port somewhere?

Guys Im a total noob. I use a 2wire modem its the 2700HG-b model. I went online to the site and noticed that it does have a firewall that I can edit on the web. Thing is that here you have listed ports to open, on the menu for my modem it says open port????? - port?????

i took some screen shots but do not know how to post them here. I have also searched the forums and could not find someone using the same DSL modem that i use. Im not even sure if it is a modem or router or whatever. This is the first screen that i get for my web based firewall:

By default, the firewall blocks all unwanted access from the Internet. You can allow access from the Internet to applications running on computers inside your secure home network by enabling firewall pinholes. Opening firewall pinholes is also known as opening firewall ports or firewall port forwarding. To do this, associate the desired application with the computer below. If you cannot find a listing for your application, you can create a user-defined application profile. (To create a user-defined profile, you will need to know protocol and port information.)

To Allow Users Through the Firewall to Hosted Applications...
1. Select a computer

Choose the computer that will host applications through the firewall: My PC number here

2. Edit firewall settings for this computer:
Check box Maximum protection – Disallow unsolicited inbound traffic.

Check Box Allow individual application(s) – Choose the application(s) that will be enabled to pass through the firewall to this computer. Click ADD to add it to the Hosted Applications list:

All applications
Games Audio/video
Messaging and Internet Phone Servers
Other User-defined Hosted Applications:
Age of Empires
Age of Kings
Age of Wonders
Aliens vs Predator
Anarchy Online
Asheron’s Call etc etc etc

• Add a new user-defined application

Check Box Allow all applications (DMZplus mode) – Set the selected computer in DMZplus mode. All inbound traffic, except traffic which has been specifically assigned to another computer using the “Allow individual applications” feature, will automatically be directed to this computer. The DMZplus-enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opened for that computer.

Note: Once DMZplus mode is selected and you click DONE, the system will issue a new IP address to the selected computer. The computer must be set to DHCP mode to receive the new IP address from the system, and you must reboot the computer. If you are changing DMZplus mode from one computer to another computer, you must reboot both computers.

So basically it has certian games and programs that are defaulted that you can choose and add to the firewall exception list, naturally Civ4 is not listed. You have to creat an application profile and that menu asks the following info:Edit ApplicationSettings

Profile Name
Enter a name for the application profile that you are creating.

Application Name:

Definition
Choose a protocol and enter the port(s) for this application, then click ADD DEFINITION to add the definition to the Definition List. If the application requires multiple ports or both TCP and UDP ports, you will need to add multiple definitions.

Note: In some rare instances, certain application types require specialized firewall changes in addition to simple port forwarding. If the application you are adding appears in the application type menu below, it is recommended that you select it.

Protocol: (Check One Box)TCP UDP
Port (or Range): From:___________ To:___________

Protocol Timeout (seconds): ______________ TCP default 86400
UDP default 600

Map to Host Port: _______Default = the same port as defined above.

Application Type: [None (Default)] or select one fo the following:
File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
Microsoft Games
H.323-based Internet telephony
IRC (Internet relay chat) server
PPTP virtual private network server

Ok, there is also an advanced firewall settings screen:

Settings
Security

Check to enable the features below: (None of these are checked)
Stealth Mode
Block Ping
Strict UDP Session Control
Inbound and Outbound Control

Checking the box allows the associated traffic type through the firewall.
(All of these are checked except for NetBIOS)Outbound
HTTP
HTTPS
FTP
Telnet
SMTP
DNS
NetBIOS
POP3
IMAP
NNTP
IRC
H323
All Other Protocols Inbound
Remote Management
NetBIOS

Instructions
Limiting data traffic may disable support for hosted applications that require inbound communications such as Web servers, games, or Internet chat programs. All data traffic will continue to be scanned by the firewall for known hacker attacks.

Attack Detection
Check to detect the types of attacks below: (All of these are checked except for Excessive Session Detection) Excessive Session Detection
TCP/UDP Port Scan
Invalid Source/Destination IP address
Packet Flood (SYN/UDP/ICMP/Other)
Invalid TCP Flag Attacks (NULL/XMAS/Other)
Invalid ICMP Detection
Miscellaneous

Any help would being able to play internet or Direct IP games would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
SevenStringESP@aol.com

I have a problem that I'm not clear on how to fix.

Myself and my girlfriend play on our lan. We wanted to play a game with someone outside our lan, so I port forwarded from the router to my machine and hosted a game.

My girl can connect to me (via my local OR internet IP) OR my friend can connect to the game but I cannot have both connect.

In other words, I think something funny is going on with two people being behind one firewall. I can't see any solutions to this on the board (I see one guy asked a similar question a while back with no responses).

Anyone have any idea what I can do? I've disabled local firewalls on all machines (now just router as firewall).

Spotted this http://hamachi.cc/ on another thread.

It makes a VPN (virtual private network) which lets machines think they are on the same LAN when they are really on the internet.

I was able to have two players on the real lan and one external player play this way.

yay fun.

:( View attachment erik_files.zipI need some help to use the multiplayer aspect of civ4. I've done everything I can think of to get it to work, but without luck. I've attached the error (timeout.jpg), my router config (router.jpg), dxdiag, and msinfo. You'll see in the router image that I have all of the appropriate forwarded ports. I've also disabled windows firewall to try and free up whatever is blocking the game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Erik

I make it quick, here's the list of the ports (both TCP and UDP) that you need to open/forward on your Router and Firewall:

* 6667 (IRC)
* 2033 (Civ4)
* 2056 (Civ4)
* 47624 (Directplay)
* 3783 (Voice Chat Port)
* 6500 (Query Port)
* 6515 (Dplay UDP)

Hi!

That above list most likely works fine, but some of those ports are needed only for outgoing traffic and doesn't give clear answer to those who have problems with routers.

From previous experience with GameSpy servers (with Team17 Worms3d), I could say that following information is rather certain:

Following Incoming ports are needed for GameSpy to work properly. These are the ports what you need to forward in NAT routers for example.

GameSpy specifig

13139 UDP
6500 UDP
28900 TCP
29900 TCP
29901 TCP
27900 UDP

Civilization specifig (under work atm)

2302 UDP
... todo: confirm and double check this, update if needed.

Worms3d specifig (just for additional info)

5911 TCP
5911 UDP

...so if opening firewall has not helped you, maybe this helps forward...

Tired of the Infinite looping of "Contacting/Connecting Host/Peer" messages on GameSpy?

* 6667 (IRC)
* 2033 (Civ4)
* 2056 (Civ4)
* 47624 (Directplay)
* 3783 (Voice Chat Port)
* 6500 (Query Port)
* 6515 (Dplay UDP)

References and Thanks:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=35588
http://www.gamespyarcade.com/helpers/workshop/routers/
http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/firewalls.shtml

EDIT: Updated Again

Great! Where can I change these?

I am having problems logging into civ while i am using my college's server. Is there any way i can work around it, besides not using the server?

Hey guys iam unable to host on Beyond the Sword. Does anyone know what port i forward as i have already port-forwarded all the ports in this page.

I've setup all the required ports on my router for forwarding, I've turned off my software firewall (zone alarm) and I've signed up for a game spy account.

However Civ 4 won't work in multiplayer internet mode. I get to where it wants me to login with my game spy account. I enter my correct username and password then hit "login" and nothing happens!

Any help would be appreciated...

My son and I have CIVIV-Beyond the Sword

We are trying to play the game through the Game Spy web site. I am connected to the web via Verizon FIOS and my son is connected to the web via HughesNet

We are both behind router firewalls and have opened all the ports in the preceeding list of this thread.

We can start a game and get as far as both of us setting up in the staging room and launching the game but then my son immediately goes out of synch (we get and out of synch message).

My son and I have CIVIV-Beyond the Sword

We are trying to play the game through the Game Spy web site. I am connected to the web via Verizon FIOS and my son is connected to the web via HughesNet

We are both behind router firewalls and have opened all the ports in the preceeding list of this thread.

We can start a game and get as far as both of us setting up in the staging room and launching the game but then my son immediately goes out of synch (we get and out of synch message).

If you play only with your son, you can use something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi

Or use direct connect in the game.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router and in the software for it I only have 10 slots for port forwarding. I need to forward ports for other things besides Civ4 and there is not enough room.

Any suggestions? Is there something that I'm missing?

Top Bottom