Problem with rundll32.exe

Verrucosus

Warlord
When I got a Windows 7 machine a few years ago, I had a problem starting Civ4 when not connected to the internet. When clicking the Civ4 link, along with the Civ4.exe a process called rundll32.exe would be launched that was somehow related to the Windows 7 Games Explorer and, by failing to connect to the internet, somehow stop Civ4 itself from running. When clicking the Civ4 link a second time, the game would start normally, but rundll32 and the other Civ4 process launched earlier would still use processing power. They could be aborted via Task Manager, but that was a bit of a pain.

At the time, I posted about the problem (that affects some other games as well) in the general tech forum:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=414531

The description of the problem in that thread is still valid, except that I no longer get other rundll32.exe processes simply by starting the computer.

I still use the workaround described at the end of that thread: I've made a copy of Civ4.exe and use a link to that copy to start Civ4.

Unfortunately, I have now found out that this workaround fails when I want to play a mod: When the game launches the mod, it restarts by using the original Civ4.exe. That gets the notorious rundll32 process started and, as a result, blocks the mod from launching.

I'm trying to play the Vanilla Tutorial (which is a mod) right now, but the same problem appears in Warlords. Beyond the Sword is not affected.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there a solution or a better workaround?

Sorry for bumping this question, but the problem still bugs me. Am I really the only one who encountered this?

Top Bottom