Help with custom great works (Works of Art)

Wagromph

Chieftain
I am trying to get a custom great work added to the game, I am at the point where I have the Artist in game who makes the specific piece, but the picture will not show up for it.

Spoiler :

It is at least somewhat seeing the picture (As I have changed the resolution of the picture and that change has taken effect)

Attachments

• Pope Leo X (After Raphael) as great work (v 1).7z
    152.4 KB · Views: 23
XML files that have <GameData> at the start of the code and </GameData> at the end should never be set in ModBUddy as "Import Into VFS - true". Otherwise I can't see the problem so I am guessing the compression settings you are using when you convert to DDS format are not correct -- but I have no idea what settings are required with which image-manipulation program, as I am essentially an abject failure at creating artwork.

Also, use
Spoiler :
wraps for large images. this makes it much easier to read a post. The little "spoil" button will create the
Spoiler :
tags and then you can paste your reference address-code into the spoiler wraps.

I changed those to True after it would not work the first time, I have since tried other compression methods but still nothing (Including the same compression settings I use when putting in pictures for other civs and Icon which work fine)

would load order of the XML files affect this ?

I changed those to True after it would not work the first time, I have since tried other compression methods but still nothing (Including the same compression settings I use when putting in pictures for other civs and Icon which work fine)

would load order of the XML files affect this ?
In this case, no.

It is a compression issue when converting to DDS format. I used GIMP to:
  1. Open the artwork dds file
  2. save in GIMP's "xcf" format
  3. Export from GIMP's "xcf" format into DDS format
  4. I changed no settings in GIMP from the 'default' ones GIMP wants to use to convert & export to DDS format
  5. pasted the resulting file directly over the file you originally had in the mod
  6. Made no other changes except to eliminate the unwanted file settings for the XML files
Try the attached altered version of your mod:
  • Note that the file-size I got is substantially larger than the original you had.
  • It is also substantially larger than the file-sizes for the art files in the 20th Century Great Works mod.
  • Not sure what the difference is (I did say I was hopeless at artwork), but the great work shows up properly for me using the altered version of your mod.
  • You should be able to copy the file in the altered version of the mod into your ModBuddy Project using the file-add-existing menu (you should copy the existing file elsewhere as a back-up 1st though, and I would delete the existing file out of the ModBuddy project from within the ModBuddy Project after backing up your current dds file somewhere). Then re-designate ImportIntoVFS=true in Modbuddy.
  • You will then at least have a working artfile in case you want to expand your mod, and while you try to figure why my version of the file with such a large size is working whereas yours (with a more reasonable overall file bytesize) is not working.

-------------------------------------------------------------

[edit] try the settings suggested by Ninja Divine Yuri :ninja:

Attachments

• Pope Leo X (After Raphael) as great work (v 1).zip
    525.7 KB · Views: 22
Saving it as xcf did the trick! Got you two listed in the special thanks section if that's alright. Here

Top Bottom