Deity Vs Immortal

Trik

Chieftain
As long time Immortal player that recently started trying Deity, i find that the early bonus the AI gets is really the only thing that makes it difficult. The early rush seems like the only difficult thing to defeat (which is quite difficult tbh), after which the bonuses they (AI) get actually benefits me more than them. I have plenty of trade partners so i am almost always guaranteed to make a sale. Then; with all the money hoarding, conquest and capitulation is far more rewarding.

On the other hand; Immortal seems a lot easier in the early stages, you can cripple a civ if you deny their initial expansion, but you can't exploit the AI as much as Deity. So you can't RA spam or sell all of your luxuries constantly. Plus the AI's tech lead isn't as great so you can catch up a bit more easily.

I know my views are quite noobish (and probably incoherent) but i see Immortal as being more authentic and Deity being more mechanical. I wish there was a middle ground.
Anyway what do you guys/girls think about the difference between both Immortal and Deity?

The big difference is how you are able to exploit the AI. If you are pretty good at anticipating casualities at wars, you gonna have good results if you take the warmonger route. You will want to get an army 10-15 turns earlier than immortal to ensure a good success rate. You will want to build more ranged units through the game.

For peaceful times, or when you are trading, you will want to sign RAs soon as possible and borrow :c5gold: from AI by selling aggressively luxuries and make :c5gold: in exchange of gpt. You will have limited cities but working nice tiles and let you the ability to sell some extra luxuries without crippling your happiness.

I think the biggest points are the ability to dodge multiple Dows and exploit the AI to the maximum. Opportunities windows are much tickier at Deity and a good player will exploit these windows at the right time and very strongly.

You need luck too. In some games the AI can launch a ship under 250 turns and some other games you can win after turn 300. The ability to bribe AI to war is also needed, but not always(probably the worst part for me, i often ignore this point).

I don't know if the forum admins frown on resurrecting necro threads, but this 'gap' is still valid today.

I'm really frustrated by the gap between Immortal and Deity. I can beat Deity, but it's not always enjoyable. And Immortal is too easy for me. I'm actually considering having a set of standardised rules in place for Deity saves so that I always end up with Immortal+. Maybe in the future I will start a Challenge Line-up for it. I guess you could call it Demi-God.

My suggestion would look something like this.

Moderator Action: Vanilla prefix added to title

Top Bottom