DEITY CHALLENGE - aiming for sub 200T cultural victory

IronfighterXXX

Work Hard - Play Hard
After playing few games in BE I'm back to civ5 (easiness and imbalances scared me ;))

Although I didn't make many I very like peacefull deity CV games - I found them quite challenging. To make them even more challenging I opened this thread - similar to sub 200t deity science challenge:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=530550

Rules:

- Standard HOF rules (read this - http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/rules.php), standard sized map, any map type, any civ, quickest possible cultural victory.

Two special rules:

- Semi-Peacefully victory (you can declare war, steal workers etc.. but you can't take cities - this is to prevent from domination type victories with XBs in early 100s)

-No Sacred Cities strategy (this already has been done by glory7 - 192T)

This thread is for posting yours opinions, ideas, and results.

I recomended to anybody who would like to take part in competition see this GOTM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=525265
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=525376
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=525377

Picking opponents allowed?

It will make it easier but I also feel it makes it more fair for everyone. Sucks to roll a great start and find you got some culture monster on the other side of the map.

Picking opponents allowed?

HOF rules (Opponents:
You may select who your opponents are. The selection must not include any leader multiple times, nor can you choose an AI leader identical to the one you're playing
.)

-so yes :)

so I'm guessing picking brazil/france/siam would be nice, although it'd be quite interesting to see people constantly warring with montezuma.

so I'm guessing picking brazil/france/siam would be nice, although it'd be quite interesting to see people constantly warring with montezuma.

Lakes map with Honor raging barbs and constant war for the culture with Monty :goodjob:

Not really since a peaceful culture victory is just about the tourism not farming culture.

You'll likely pick France, Brazil or Babylon.

I'm unsure what is the most efficient between France more base tourism through Chateau spam and theme or Brazil doubling during a GA. Babylon will get techs faster than the other two which may be required to get below 200.

I'm unsure what is the most efficient between France more base tourism through Chateau spam and theme or Brazil doubling during a GA. Babylon will get techs faster than the other two which may be required to get below 200.
Tourism from Chateau may come a little late, while with Brazil you can win a game in the span of one GA if the stars aligned. But I think it mostly depends on the opponent AI's.

I'll pick Brazil for my first game (lol never played this civ).

Besides France and Babylon also Poland and Korea seems pretty strong (so as usually top trier civs :))

I don't even understand how this could be theoretically done without SS. SS is indeed cheese, and if there were a Steam achievement for <200 turns, then I'd have felt that I needed to re-achieve it legitimately after I got a CV on Deity in around 150 turns.

But without that cheese, I have only ever done it after Internet. What other way is there of getting enough Tourism to surpass the Culture output of the runaways?

With a 'perfect run' at an 'aborted' DomV in which I take the best capitals and use their great works and wonders to create tourism, plus maybe playing as France to spam chateaux, I think I could do it, one time out of 100 maybe.

But without taking cities? And without SS? I'm stumped.

But without taking cities? And without SS? I'm stumped.

Just observe this thread, I'm pretty sure it will be done rather sooner than later :D

You guys make a good point about pushing tourism instead of farming culture, but I feel that getting more culture is important if you want to finish aesthetics and freedom T3. Another thing is to try and stop culture from the AI, so is it possible to take their capital and give it back with all the national wonders destroyed?

You guys make a good point about pushing tourism instead of farming culture, but I feel that getting more culture is important if you want to finish aesthetics and freedom T3. Another thing is to try and stop culture from the AI, so is it possible to take their capital and give it back with all the national wonders destroyed?

In general yes you can however OP doesn't want any city captures.

In general yes you can however OP doesn't want any city captures.

So OP means no city captures at any stage of the game? If not, I'd still go for taking out their capital and giving it back in a peace treaty with everything destroyed, or let the AI take it back. Otherwise I don't see people winning before the internet.

Also, before T200 would it be viable to finish aesthetics if you also want to go into rationalism a bit? Just theorycrafting here, but in a duel, do you think musicians are necessary?

For starters this is supposed to be standard size. But yes you will need musicians most probably.

Also Internet is likely to be required yes. If you can reach it around 190 you have a shot. But on the other hand Brazil has a personal internet when using a GA so technically brazil could win with Hotels only and definitely with Internet.

Either way, sub 200 is unlikely to feature airports imo.

peaceful and no SS will mean a tech race to Internet. Airports/Hotels will be necessary and Aesthetics 4th policy, plus about 3-4 Musicians timed into borders. typical tourism pressure takes forever. Musicians will be the only way to do it, imo.

im doubtful it can really be done following these rules. i dont think taking 1-2 cities is a dom-centric strategy like the ones abused just for the earliest vic. i think you should be able take up to 2 cities but no more than one capital as a fair compromise, strategically. (edit: also, no civ-eliminating if those 2 cities would do that. this should be a test of tourism pressure on the full 7 opponents.)

Top Bottom