The Modder's Guide to Civ4

I'm also looking into the promotions...
Since the buttons for promotion are moved around depending on the unit's existing buttons, I'm guessing that you do not have to specify where a new button for a new promotion would go. However, where would you add a new promotion graphic, how would you link to it, and can you animate it (or not animate it) anyway you want? (i.e., discarding the "glowing" around the button.)

BTW, where are the units classed into mounted, armored, gunpowder, melee, etc.?

Thanks. I'm hoping I can help a little more than I could with Civ3.

Oh. Also, is there a place where the effects of the non-quantative promotions are defined? Things like blitz and amphibious assault. Is it possible to add entire new effects to promotions? It would be interesting if you could add a sacrifice promotion like the Aztec scenario in Civ3 or if you could create units that spread culture as a promotion.

One more question...

Once SDK is realeased, you can work with oter 3D models, right? Therefore, older unit creators like aaglo, Kinboat, and Muffins will be able to import their raw models into Civ4 and texture them, allowing us to use most of their units again, right?

If I have that concpet completely wrong, please explain it to me. I'm still pretty sketchy.

though only those who know c++ will be able to really do anything with the sdk. right?

@Mr Will: The Gamebryo engine won't be included in the SDK, so we will have to work with its limitations. We will probably be able to import models more easily once we have the SDK, but we probably won't be able to import in other formats. So unless the current models can be made into NIF files, then no. aaglo's models will definitely not be converted.

@JG99: Right, it's just the C++ source code of the game.

Any clues on what I asked about promotions?

R8XFT said:
:help:
For a game that's supposed to be completely moddable, they're making it extremely hard. Can one add a new civilization or at this stage, would an existing civilization need to be replaced?

We can indeed add new civs without replacing old ones. The following thread by BrentRitchie discusses doing just that:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=135459

However, you might need to "borrow" another civ's leaderhead until you can make your own (or find some custom ones here some day). Other graphics (like flags) shouldn't be too difficult to make on your own.

questions questions though... cause i don't really know where to put this but can any of the veteran mods or new mods... or modders period ahhhh... could any of you "proof read" my civ XML thingy. i made a new Caribbean civ, cause that is where im from so why not, and i'm not sure if i got it right. I have it in notepad "format" if that is a format so help?

Umm I need help on xml modding if it's okay to post here.

How do I change which tech enables a particular improvement? eg. make pottery enabling winery not monarchy. I've looked in the relevant files ImprovementInfos, BonusInfos and TechInfos but in none of them seems to let you change that.

Could you be more specific on creating a path to a custom mod. Example: Copied the "Greek World" mod folder, renamed it and moved it back into the mods folder. Now how do I create a path so that it shows up with the rest of the mods when I chose "Play a Scenario" in the game menu?

Ok, I figured out that you have to choose the "Advanced" menu then "Play a Mod" but when I select my mod the game restarts with my mod name in the upper right hand corner but now what?

gakkun: I know it's possible to change the prereq, but I'm not sure how. I'll take a look. When Isak releases the XML info I'll be able to go into that kind of thing in more detail.

davenbak: Once the game restarts, the mod is loaded. Now you just start a new game.

Gabryel: Official, no. There is a Blender plugin in development, and Maya and Studio Max may work (although they are very expensive programs). We may have to wait for the SDK. We can make new skins for models now, using DDS converters and any graphics program.

My first post on this forum... :)

Friends and I are trying to understand how all Python code, XML code and Civ4 are put together. Now I'm looking at the "American Revolution" as an example and trying to configure out the structure.

I can see, for example, how Assets\Python\Screens\CvDawnOfMan.py loads text from Assets\XML\Text\AmRevTextInfos.xml. (I can also understand much of the code. Thanks to your Python for Civ4 API.) My questions for now are:

Who (or which components of Civ 4) loads these Python files?
In the case of American Revolution, who loads, for example, Assets\Python\Screens\CvDawnOfMan.py and CvAmRevEvents.py?

I want to know this so to know if I must "tell" certain components to load my Python files. Also, I am trying to configure out if there is certain naming convention that I must follow.

Thanks for any info, everyone.

Assets\Python\EntryPoints\CvEventsInterface.py loads CvAmRevEvents.py.
Not entirely sure what loads CvDawnOfMan but it might be CyPopupInfo. Look at onGameStart in CvAmRevEvents.py for my reason for guessing that.

well, i have a question...

When you want to create a mod, you add a new folder in the Civilization4/mods folder, right?

and then, if you want to modify some files, you just have to copy the one to be modified in the created folder, right?

Top Bottom