SGOTM 13 - Gypsy Kings

I am fine with letting BF use both fish and grow, but I would then get the second WB for PC from SM or PC, but immediately follow that build with a Trireme build that can be 1 pop whipped with 30+/75 before T150 when we are pretty sure barb galleys will show up.

OK, SM is the candidate for that. On T137 we can start a trireme and whip it on T144. FH is already producing a trireme on T143 (and it could scout west of the three-tile island on T145 to find the magic two seafood, before we commit where the settler goes, so there's no need to delay the marble quarry by scouting those tiles early).

So we now have two triremes planned for the relevant window. One lurks around PC and the other lurks around MC (but in range for guarding CC). Depending how things play out, they might scout a little bit. We still might need to scramble a workboat in MC or PC as a decoy some time.

We will need to plan for more triremes, because once we get some XP on a trireme, we should send it exploring and hope it gets to level 4.

Somewhere along the line I missed what we are going to call this new city. I like Fur Island, but am I to presume CF = Crabby Furs has been decided on?
I prefer Furry Crabs personally.
Sure, that's fine.
Furry Crab is good. Fur Island is good. Founder's prerogative, as far as I'm concerned.

:crazyeye: 30 new posts from overnight to read this morning! :goodjob:

I appreciate aj's attempts to list people's positions on his PPP. I think we need to summarize the current positions based on the latest posts, but if we can't agree we must let aj decide among the various options.

Much of the arguments come from risks from barbarians. If he sees a barbarian galley, he has agreed to pause and we get to revisit all of these issues.

I think we are all agreed we want to risk Eiffel to somehow scout somewhere on Furry Crab's island before the settler. Which way aj does that I'm willing to leave in aj's hands after all the feedback.

Scouting around the 3 tile island has been debated, I would like to hear what aj thinks on that issue.

Scouting with a workboat from SM around PC is largely an issue for the next turn set. I think it makes sense to net the clams to the west of PC regardless of what we decide here since the nets to the west are significantly less vulnerable to a barbarian galley. The nets to the west could be saved by a whipped workboat lure for example whereas it might not be possible to save the nets to the east.

I think the research and tech trading issue has been resolved. We try to put 1 turn on hunting and then trade phood for hunting if possible. What to do after that if it doesn't work is a little less clear, but I think it makes sense to go for aesthetics rather than invest more into hunting that we could trade for ~T142. (assuming we can get alphabet with aesthetics --knock on wood)

Scouting with a workboat from SM around PC is largely an issue for the next turn set. I think it makes sense to net the clams to the west of PC regardless of what we decide here since the nets to the west are significantly less vulnerable to a barbarian galley. The nets to the west could be saved by a whipped workboat lure for example whereas it might not be possible to save the nets to the east.
I agree; I think netting the western Clams first is the safer option!

I think the research and tech trading issue has been resolved. We try to put 1 turn on hunting and then trade phood for hunting if possible. What to do after that if it doesn't work is a little less clear, but I think it makes sense to go for aesthetics rather than invest more into hunting that we could trade for ~T142. (assuming we can get alphabet with aesthetics --knock on wood)
I agree with this as well.

I agree as well.

Excellent.
I hopefully have time to play this evening (~10 hours from now).
I'll ammend the PPP to indicate which options I will go for.

Edit - I noticed someone (bcool I think) managed to write posts with strikethrough text. How do I do this?

you have to manually type in bracket s bracket and "[/s]" at the beginning and end of the text you want to strikethrough. Obviously using real brackets rather than writing out bracket.

Furry Crab is good. Fur Island is good. Founder's prerogative, as far as I'm concerned.

Sure. There's something to be said for avoiding abbreviations that are used for other stuff - Marbled Clam and Metal Casting was a bit unfortunate. Definitely avoid CS! However any of FC, CF, FI seem fine.

I'll be playing in 20 minutes. Join me on MSN Messenger if you want the live feed.

Well... that was rather short :sad:

I played 1 turn, and have paused my turnset mid T129- a barb galley has appeared 1SW of Marbled Clam.

So far, Willem refused to trade Hunting to us, even though we have more than 2/3rds finished it.
We have certainly achieved circumnavigation, so from next turn will have 3 move boats.

Now, about this Barb galley. It will most likely nom Willem's workboat, unless Willem evades - I don't think Willem will actually have visibility of the barb so could potentially sail straight into it. There is also the possibility that Willem has had this galley tailing him since before we even met him! :mad: I guess there is a possibility that the barb will chase Willem's WB, in which case our nets are safe *unless* Willem hides in one of our cities, which is the smartest move for him.

If we don't deal with the threat, then in two turns from now the barb will be on one of CC's nets. My plan is to immediately switch CC to build a trireme, and 2 pop whip it next turn (overflow into library). Ideally I would park the trireme on CC's nets and kill the barb galley on the defensive, but this may not be possible if the barb has already ended its turn on the nets. In which case I attack: I don't know the odds off-hand but they are pretty high, though less than 90% I think.

Autolog of the turn-and-a-half
Spoiler :
Turn 128/750 (800 BC) [12-Apr-2011 16:47:04]
Player Comment changing tech to Hunting
Research begun: Hunting (3 Turns)
Paris founded
Player Comment Renamed Paris to Marbled Clam
Paris begins: Work Boat (45 turns)
100% Research: 36 per turn
0% Espionage: 4 per turn
0% Gold: -15 per turn, 365 in the bank

After End Turn:
Clam Chowder grows to size 5
Paired Clams finishes: Work Boat

Turn 129/750 (775 BC) [12-Apr-2011 16:49:47]
Player Comment Hah! Barb Galley spotted 1SW of MC
Clam Chowder begins: Trireme (15 turns)
A Fishing Boats was built near Paired Clams
Paired Clams begins: Lighthouse (9 turns)

Attachments

• barbGalleyT129.jpg
    barbGalleyT129.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 33
  • noHunting.jpg
    noHunting.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 29
Well... that was rather short :sad:

I played 1 turn, and have paused my turnset mid T129- a barb galley has appeared 1SW of Marbled Clam.

Dude.... be more lucky! :lol:

So far, Willem refused to trade Hunting to us, even though we have more than 2/3rds finished it.
We have certainly achieved circumnavigation, so from next turn will have 3 move boats.

Well at least something went right.

Now, about this Barb galley. It will most likely nom Willem's workboat, unless Willem evades - I don't think Willem will actually have visibility of the barb so could potentially sail straight into it. There is also the possibility that Willem has had this galley tailing him since before we even met him! :mad: I guess there is a possibility that the barb will chase Willem's WB, in which case our nets are safe *unless* Willem hides in one of our cities, which is the smartest move for him.

Willem came from NW of MC, so Willem does not even have visibility on galley's tile yet, and the galley was not tailing him.

He will likely continue SW and into our city, or S and perhaps get killed somewhere.

In a worldbuilder test, Joao ran NW with the workboat, never seeing the galley, and the galley went 2N, 2S and off into the wilderness SE. I thought perhaps the 2N move was motivated by occupying our seafood tile, but when I worldbuildered it out and put one 2E of the galley, he still went 2N.

If we don't deal with the threat, then in two turns from now the barb will be on one of CC's nets. My plan is to immediately switch CC to build a trireme, and 2 pop whip it next turn (overflow into library). Ideally I would park the trireme on CC's nets and kill the barb galley on the defensive, but this may not be possible if the barb has already ended its turn on the nets. In which case I attack: I don't know the odds off-hand but they are pretty high, though less than 90% I think.

Yep, switch to a trireme right now, and plan to whip it soon. If the barb goes 2N, then a T130 whip will let you take up a defensive position on T131. If the barb beelines the clam, then you'll have to take him on offense (88%). However even 60% odds on offense with a 75:hammers:-trireme breaks even with a 100% chance to lose a 45:hammers:-workboat, and the value of the lost turns of 2:food: pushes the required odds even lower than that!

If the barb does something exotic, then perhaps put a second turn on the trireme (so we stay at size 5 a bit longer) and then whip it.

Bummer about hunting :(

I agree that we whip a trireme in CC T130.

One issue is that I think the galley will be 4 away from the barb galley on T131, so if the worst happens and the trireme is lost in an attack on the barb galley, the galley won't be ready for the finishing blow. I think we still hit the barbarian galley with the trireme even if we can't hit it immediately with the galley.

Hopefully it won't make a beeline for CC and we will have time to organize both the trireme and the galley, and possibly the using the trireme for a defensive battle with the barb galley.

I think we switch to aesthetics and hopefully trade for everything we need by ~T142 and gain access to fur finally with the delayed settling of Fur city.

The settler in CC is pushed back to T139 and the Library is T142 I think in CC.

The trireme whip in FH might not be the best thing to do now...

But here is a rough plan for CC with the trireme whip

edit: hold off the whip if the barb galley does do something exotic makes sense.

Yep, switch to a trireme right now, and plan to whip it soon. If the barb goes 2N, then a T130 whip will let you take up a defensive position on T131. If the barb beelines the clam, then you'll have to take him on offense (88%). However even 60% odds on offense with a 75:hammers:-trireme breaks even with a 100% chance to lose a 45:hammers:-workboat, and the value of the lost turns of 2:food: pushes the required odds even lower than that!

Ouch. I got out the spreadsheet. That whip is going to hurt a lot of stuff.

Bummer about hunting :(

I agree that we whip a trireme in CC T130.

One issue is that I think the galley will be 4 away from the barb galley on T131, so if the worst happens and the trireme is lost in an attack on the barb galley, the galley won't be ready for the finishing blow. I think we still hit the barbarian galley with the trireme even if we can't hit it immediately with the galley.

Hopefully it won't make a beeline for CC and we will have time to organize both the trireme and the galley, and possibly the using the trireme for a defensive battle with the barb galley.

I think we switch to aesthetics and hopefully trade for everything we need by ~T142 and gain access to fur finally with the delayed settling of Fur city.

The settler in CC is pushed back to T139 and the Library is T142 I think in CC.

The trireme whip in FH might not be the best thing to do now...

But here is a rough plan for CC with the trireme whip

edit: hold off the whip if the barb galley does do something exotic makes sense.

I'd agree with rough tile plan, except that T133 CC is said to be working the Pmine, when if FH is unchanged, it will be doing so. I think T133 CC should work Gmine.

I played around with switching nets over to FH and producing the settler later, but I didn't see any striking value to it.

Ok, I whipped the trireme, and carried on out to T138. I made a slight error in that I forgot to change research back to Aesthetics, but managed to trade for Hunting on T130.

The MM of CC and FH I pretty much played by ear, choosing to work the best tiles wherever possible.

Autolog
Spoiler :
Turn 130/750 (750 BC) [12-Apr-2011 18:05:47]

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Player Comment Ooops, realised I made a mistake last turn - forgot to change tech to Aesthetics. Have now trade for Hunting
A Fishing Boats was built near Paris
Research begun: Aesthetics (12 Turns)
Bronzed Fish begins: Lighthouse (45 turns)
100% Research: 44 per turn
0% Gold: -20 per turn, 335 in the bank

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in Clam Chowder
Clam Chowder grows to size 4
Clam Chowder finishes: Trireme

Other Player Actions:
Civics Change: Willem van Oranje(Netherlands) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'

Turn 131/750 (725 BC) [12-Apr-2011 18:08:54]
Player Comment trireme is defending
A Workshop was built near Paired Clams
0% Gold: -20 per turn, 315 in the bank

After End Turn:
Fish Hills grows to size 4
Stone Mountain's borders expand

Other Player Actions:
While defending in French territory near Marbled Clam, Trireme 1 (Clam Chowder) (0.50/2) defeats Barbarian Galley (Prob Victory: 95.6%)

Turn 132/750 (700 BC) [12-Apr-2011 18:11:33]
Player Comment and we win :)
Clam Chowder begins: Settler (10 turns)
Fish Hills begins: Worker (7 turns)
0% Gold: -20 per turn, 295 in the bank

Turn 133/750 (675 BC) [12-Apr-2011 18:13:39]
Player Comment Gifted fish to Izzy
Player Comment trireme will scout fur island, so Eiffel can go straight to Marble
0% Gold: -20 per turn, 275 in the bank

Turn 134/750 (650 BC) [12-Apr-2011 18:16:01]
Clam Chowder begins: Library (18 turns)
0% Gold: -20 per turn, 255 in the bank

After End Turn:
Clam Chowder grows to size 5
Stone Mountain grows to size 2
Stone Mountain finishes: Work Boat

Turn 135/750 (625 BC) [12-Apr-2011 18:18:15]
A Fishing Boats was built near Bronzed Fish
Stone Mountain begins: Work Boat (9 turns)
Player Comment gifted fish to WIllem
100% Research: 46 per turn
0% Gold: -20 per turn, 235 in the bank

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in Fish Hills
Fish Hills finishes: Worker

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Willem van Oranje (Netherlands) towards Catherine (Russia), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 136/750 (600 BC) [12-Apr-2011 18:21:43]
0% Gold: -20 per turn, 215 in the bank

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in Stone Mountain
Clam Chowder grows to size 6
Stone Mountain finishes: Work Boat
Paired Clams grows to size 2
Bronzed Fish grows to size 2

Turn 137/750 (575 BC) [12-Apr-2011 18:24:16]
Clam Chowder begins: Settler (8 turns)
Stone Mountain begins: Work Boat (23 turns)
0% Gold: -20 per turn, 195 in the bank

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in Clam Chowder
The whip was applied in Paired Clams
The whip was applied in Bronzed Fish
Clam Chowder finishes: Settler
Paired Clams finishes: Lighthouse
Bronzed Fish finishes: Lighthouse

Turn 138/750 (550 BC) [12-Apr-2011 18:26:11]
Paired Clams begins: Granary (90 turns)
Bronzed Fish begins: Granary (90 turns)

Turn log
Spoiler :
Turn 128, 800 BC: Logging Game to File: Napoleon.txt
Turn 128, 800 BC: changing tech to Hunting
Turn 128, 800 BC: Paris has been founded.

Turn 129, 775 BC: Hah! Barb Galley spotted 1SW of MC
Turn 129, 775 BC: Willem van Oranje adopts Organized Religion!
Turn 129, 775 BC: Your maps have proven that the world is round! Your ships receive a +1 Movement bonus.

Turn 130, 750 BC: You have discovered Hunting!
Turn 130, 750 BC: Paris has been founded.
Turn 130, 750 BC: Logging Game to File: Napoleon.txt
Turn 130, 750 BC: Ooops, realised I made a mistake last turn - forgot to change tech to Aesthetics. Have now trade for Hunting
Turn 130, 750 BC: You have trained a Trireme in Clam Chowder. Work has now begun on a Library.

Turn 131, 725 BC: trireme is defending
Turn 131, 725 BC: The borders of Stone Mountain have expanded!
Turn 131, 725 BC: Barbarian's Galley (2.00) vs Napoleon's Trireme 1 (Clam Chowder) (3.20)
Turn 131, 725 BC: Combat Odds: 4.4%
Turn 131, 725 BC: (Plot Defense: +10%)
Turn 131, 725 BC: (Class Defense: +50%)
Turn 131, 725 BC: Barbarian's Galley is hit for 25 (75/100HP)
Turn 131, 725 BC: Napoleon's Trireme 1 (Clam Chowder) is hit for 15 (85/100HP)
Turn 131, 725 BC: Napoleon's Trireme 1 (Clam Chowder) is hit for 15 (70/100HP)
Turn 131, 725 BC: Barbarian's Galley is hit for 25 (50/100HP)
Turn 131, 725 BC: Napoleon's Trireme 1 (Clam Chowder) is hit for 15 (55/100HP)
Turn 131, 725 BC: Barbarian's Galley is hit for 25 (25/100HP)
Turn 131, 725 BC: Napoleon's Trireme 1 (Clam Chowder) is hit for 15 (40/100HP)
Turn 131, 725 BC: Napoleon's Trireme 1 (Clam Chowder) is hit for 15 (25/100HP)
Turn 131, 725 BC: Barbarian's Galley is hit for 25 (0/100HP)
Turn 131, 725 BC: Napoleon's Trireme 1 (Clam Chowder) has defeated Barbarian's Galley!

Turn 132, 700 BC: and we win :)

Turn 133, 675 BC: Gifted fish to Izzy
Turn 133, 675 BC: trireme will scout fur island, so Eiffel can go straight to Marble

Turn 135, 625 BC: gifted fish to WIllem
Turn 135, 625 BC: You have trained a Worker in Fish Hills. Work has now begun on The Pyramids.

Turn 136, 600 BC: Clam Chowder will become unhealthy on the next turn.
Turn 136, 600 BC: Stone Mountain can hurry Work Boat for 1? with 14? overflow and +1? for 15 turns.
Turn 136, 600 BC: Clam Chowder will grow to size 6 on the next turn.
Turn 136, 600 BC: Paired Clams will grow to size 2 on the next turn.
Turn 136, 600 BC: Bronzed Fish will grow to size 2 on the next turn.

Turn 137, 575 BC: Clam Chowder has grown to size 6.
Turn 137, 575 BC: Clam Chowder has become unhealthy.
Turn 137, 575 BC: Paired Clams has grown to size 2.
Turn 137, 575 BC: Paired Clams can hurry Lighthouse for 1? with 10? overflow and +1? for 15 turns.
Turn 137, 575 BC: Bronzed Fish has grown to size 2.
Turn 137, 575 BC: Bronzed Fish can hurry Lighthouse for 1? with 8? overflow and +1? for 15 turns.
Turn 137, 575 BC: You have trained a Settler in Clam Chowder. Work has now begun on a Library.

Turn 138, 550 BC: Clam Chowder has become healthy.
Turn 138, 550 BC: Clam Chowder has become happy.
Turn 138, 550 BC: Fish Hills will grow to size 3 on the next turn.

Sorry, I don't have time right now to post more screenshots or provide discussion. Goodnight all :)

Any chance of a saved game upload?

Edit: Ah you did. Here's a link.

:lol: I was originally horrified that we nearly lost the trireme according to the detailed combat log, and that you planned to take it scouting straight away. Then I load up the game and it's uninjured... of course, in the first combat against barbarians you cannot take damage!

Any chance of a saved game upload?

Edit: Ah you did. Here's a link.

:lol: I was originally horrified that we nearly lost the trireme according to the detailed combat log, and that you planned to take it scouting straight away. Then I load up the game and it's uninjured... of course, in the first combat against barbarians you cannot take damage!
No. It was very injured. It healed in cc before scouting. The free wins bs barbs doesn't apply to this difficulty level

Nice turn set, aj! Good job taking care of the Barb galley, and getting the first war ship for our Navy!! :hatsoff:

:scan: They Eye in the Sky has spotted light purple territory :viking: to the SW of Marbled Clam, and SE of the Dutch territory! See attached screen shot!!!!

Nice handling of the barb galley aj!

In worse news Willem has researched Aesthetics. We need to revisit our tech plans. The plan to not trade Metal Casting doesn't look like it has worked out for us.

I'm a little sad that the lighthouse in PC was whipped. But the outcomes with whipping and not-whipping were very similar.

We have crabs near the 3 tile island. Nothing exciting revealed there that would convince us to settle there.

If Willem and Catherine continue to be friends the tech pace of this game is going to be quite high. I think the high tech war is getting more likely. Unless we want to try and take out Willem asap. He is ruining all of our nicely laid out plans :aargh: Not sure if we could take him out early, but at least he is close. Maybe we get Nationalism earlish and take him out with drafted macemen before he can get longbows?

Nice catch Griff. Not Germany then but the Vikings are among us.

Top Bottom