BUFFY & HOF Mod Releases

I recall seeing a post saying that MapFinder App 1.7.1 works with BUFFY-3.19.001. I guess it was naive to assume everything would work. However, everything in MapFinder App 1.7.1 could reasonably work without change by using the same INI format in the BUFFY module that what originally used in the HOF module.
Well, It does work with BUFFY in the sense that it will read the save information coming out of BUFFY. That's 95% of it anyway. ;)

I would have made a quick change but someone made a long list of things I need to do to make the utility better. :mischief:

I didn't install Google Desktop Search on my PC; it was part of the software bundle that came with the machine; the only part of the software bundle I ever used was Vista itself.

I never used Google Desktop Search, so it was a shocking surprise that it ran instead of MapFinder when I first typed CTRL-ALT-G in BtS 3.19 with BUFFY-3.19.001. I actually typed CTRL-ALT-G several times, before it occured to me that CTRL-ALT-G was a shortcut for Google Desktop Search. It took about an hour to find the regedit instructions for disabling that shortcut; I thought it quite un-Google-like to have such simple thing made so difficult (tedious) to do.
Yeah, that Google Destop/Browser search stuff is incidious. Just about anything you download these days seems to want to install Google stuff, too. :gripe: I have mostly been successful avoiding it but I have had to de-install it a couple times and remove its changes to my browers setting. :mad:

I think I got a problem with the buffy mod.

My entire GUI has dissapeared. And I have absolutely no idea how to get it back.

I tried a lot of different hotkey combinations, but none seem to make it pop back up.

HALP!

ps: this is only when running the buffy mod, normal seems to run fine.

Oh I saw somewhere in this thread you alread found this bug.
Did you only fix it for the HoF vanilla mod, or also for the Buffy mod?

cheers!

Oh I saw somewhere in this thread you alread found this bug.
Did you only fix it for the HoF vanilla mod, or also for the Buffy mod?

cheers!
What was the solution that you used to fix it?

What was the solution that you used to fix it?

Oh sorry it was not clear. I did not fix it myself, I read a wrong code section was found and it was fixed according to the OP.

But my buffy mod still has it. He mentioned redownloading 17.00.04, but that is the vanilla version, so I guess he only fixed it there?

No interface means a Python issue, but it can be caused by many different problems. Can you please read the troubleshooting page and post the information, especially PythonErr.log?

I think it's great :) I haven't tried the non-sea-surrounded maps in Map Finder yet, but I'm hoping that I might be able to generate some maps on, say, Inland Sea for some of my games now, as they seem to get better scores :mischief: Otherwise, I guess I'll have to stick with Pangaea :wallbash:

Whatever. I'm grateful :)

I think it's great :) I haven't tried the non-sea-surrounded maps in Map Finder yet, but I'm hoping that I might be able to generate some maps on, say, Inland Sea for some of my games now, as they seem to get better scores :mischief: Otherwise, I guess I'll have to stick with Pangaea :wallbash:

Whatever. I'm grateful :)

The system of three delays in BUFFY's MapFinder is great. It's been working extremely well, after I changed the skip delay from the default of 0.25 to 1.00, leaving the other two delays at their respective defaults. However, I've only tried Tiny Pangaea Maps so far.

Is there an issue with BUFFY's MapFinder and Inland Sea Maps? I suspect that some delays just need to be increased for larger maps as well as different maps.

For example, Terra Maps have always seemed to require the longest delay of any Map Type in the old HOF MapFinder. This may also be the case with BUFFY's MapFinder.

EmperorFool's MapFinder is working extremely well for me now! However, I'm guessing that it doesn't have automated delay adjustments to account for differing delay requirements based on Map Size and Map Type. Having software that could set up some internal delays that compensate for Map Size and Map Type would be great, but I wouldn't expect that anytime soon, if ever. Until then, setting somewhat high delays that work with almost all Map Sizes and Map Types and setting somewhat higher delays for the exceptionally long Size/Type Maps may be the best compromise between speed and stability in BUFFY's MapFinder. Unless, you are a speed freak and are willing to optimize the delays for every combination of Map Size and Map Type; there are just 6 Map Sizes and 18 Map sizes, thus only 6 x 18 = 108 combinations. That shouldn't take too many lifetimes to optimize ;).

I still think that BUFFY's MapFinder default delays were set too aggressively low; that makes its speed very impressive (while watching it work). However, what good is that speed when MapFinder hangs 30 minutes into an overnight run?

Sun Tzu Wu

Oh, I have an old problem with Map Finder which might have been fixed now ... any map that isn't surrounded by sea (eg Inland Sea, Rainforest, Boreal, Great Plains etc ) the Map Finder just stops for no apparent reason. It's an odd one, I don't know if Denniz has found time to track the problem down. I haven't tried changing the delay, perhaps that might fix it? I'll give it a whirl but it doesn't matter, Buffy is a really neat update :)

I don't know what you mean about it finding the MapFinder application, though.

1) Create an empty directory that will contain Saves and Rules.
2) Set the Path of this directory in BUFFY's MapFinder in the Map Tab.
3) Create sub-directories Saves and Rules.
4) Copy the Rule file you plan to use into the Rules sub-directory.
5) Set this Rule file in BUFFY's MapFinder in the Map Tab.
6) Run BUFFY's MapFinder via CRTL-ALT-G.

Note that MapFinder will immediately quit, complaining about not finding a MapFinder App file. I'm not sure now, but I think the missing file was called MF_Text.dat or something similar. It is one of the files that the MapFinder App requires to run.

After this error, I simply copied Civ4_Map_Finder.exe and all its support files to the directory created in step #1 above. That solved the issue I had.

After this and setting the delays high enough, all issues (except trivial ones) I had with BUFFY's MapFinder melted away. "The Ice Breaker is free; land ho!" :)

Sun Tzu Wu

The delays are performed after the map is regenerated, so the map size and type should have no bearing on the delay required.

That being said, I'm very surprised you're finding that MF hangs during an overnight run. I tell the camera to shift to the new starting location, and perhaps that's causing problems if the map is regenerated while it's moving. I let it run for a maximum of a few minutes during my coding, so you've done more testing than I.

As for those files, yes the .dat files are read by MF during initialization and must be present. So there are three file system areas needed by MF: location of .dat files, location of rules files, and location for saves. Are you saying you want three different path settings so you can locate all three in different places? Or is having one for .dat/rules and a second for saves sufficient?

Oh, I have an old problem with Map Finder which might have been fixed now ... any map that isn't surrounded by sea (eg Inland Sea, Rainforest, Boreal, Great Plains etc ) the Map Finder just stops for no apparent reason. It's an odd one, I don't know if Denniz has found time to track the problem down. I haven't tried changing the delay, perhaps that might fix it? I'll give it a whirl but it doesn't matter, Buffy is a really neat update :)
I never was able to reproduce it. I am hoping that with Emperorfool's rewrite of the control code fixes it. If it is in the rule checking code then we'll have to see if we can reproduce it somehow.

I have uploaded a new version of the Civ4_Map_Finder utility (V1.8). The major change is to the ini file code to update the BUFFY-3.19.001\UserSetting\MapFinder.ini with the Civ4_Map_Finder install path and the Rules File name. (As long as the rules file is in the install path's Rules folder).

The ability to point to a Saves or Rules folder outside the default install path are not currently supported in BUFFY so there are messages where the code would have tried to update the ini file before. (Something we'll fix next release of BUFFY.)

I also changed the utility to default to BTS rather than Vanilla for it's initial version.

>>>Download<<<

If nobody reporst any issues in the next couple days, I will update the HOF site's Mods page with the new version.

Okay, I was all ready to play a few games of BtS this weekend, but I am getting that HOF warning from the BUFFY mod that the assets are differenet from a custom install.

I am running XP. I patched to 3.19 back in late June and installed BUFFY in late July. I really haven't played civ since then. I have looked for answers but can't find the solution.

What do I do? :confused: Thanks.

Ok, I fixed the interface issue.

Somewhere reading along all the lines in this thread, I figured that I had to uninstall the BUG mod.

Correct me if I am wrong, but can I play regular custom games with the buffy mod?

If not, it is quite a disadvantage if I am unable to use the regular BUG mod for other games.

Any hints, cheers.

Can I play regular custom games with the buffy mod?

Yes, you can play normal single- and multi-player games using BUFFY. The only thing BUFFY can't do is allow you to open saved games from other players who aren't using BUFFY, for example in a Succession Game.

The next version of BUFFY will be able to run with BUG installed as a single-player mod so you can use BUG to open other saved games.

The delays are performed after the map is regenerated, so the map size and type should have no bearing on the delay required.

That being said, I'm very surprised you're finding that MF hangs during an overnight run. I tell the camera to shift to the new starting location, and perhaps that's causing problems if the map is regenerated while it's moving. I let it run for a maximum of a few minutes during my coding, so you've done more testing than I.

With the delay too short, the starting location is often way off-centered. Sometimes the JPG generated doesn't even show the starting location, but it does show large amounts of Fog. This is still happening with BUFFY's MapFinder.

Again, with the delay too short, I'd get file save conflicts with the old MapFinder; it would put up a requestor asking whether its OK to proceed and just sit there the rest of the night or day. It's not really a hang, but it would be better to put the error message into a log file and continue generating maps. I haven't seen this with BUFFY's MapFinder, but I've been using a generous skip delay of 1.00 the past few days.

As for those files, yes the .dat files are read by MF during initialization and must be present. So there are three file system areas needed by MF: location of .dat files, location of rules files, and location for saves. Are you saying you want three different path settings so you can locate all three in different places? Or is having one for .dat/rules and a second for saves sufficient?

Are just the following three DAT files needed:

MF_Cat_Rules.dat
MF_Text.dat
MF_Combo_Rules.dat

I'd prefer to leave things just as they are. Most Players probably just keep all Civ4_Map_Finder saves in the Civ4_Map_Finder/Saves directory and rules in the Civ4_Map_Finder/Rules directory. The above three DAT files are already in the Civ4_Map_Finder directory. I can already do what I want with the current interface.

Cutting and pasting one Path and a Rules filename is enough. You already nixed the file browser idea.

Sun Tzu Wu

Before BtS 3.19, ten turns of Open Borders regardless of game speed would provide a +1 Diplomatic bonus.

I just finished a Tiny Pangaea Religious Leader Diplomatic Victory Game (17810 - Not yet Checked) using BUFFY in which I never got a Diplomatic bonus for Open Borders after 23 turns with both AIs in the game.

Is this a BtS 3.19 bug or could this be related to the BUFFY-3.19.001 module?

Sun Tzu Wu

In a previous game (178100 - Not yet Checked), I noticed that one of the two AIs was never listed as a TAP (The Apostolic Palace) Member; even the turn before I won the game; BtS 3.19 needs to provide accurate information about the current state of the game. I never noticed this before when using BtS 3.17 and earlier.

Is this a BtS 3.19 bug or BUFFY-3.19.001 related?

Sun Tzu Wu

Yes, you can play normal single- and multi-player games using BUFFY. The only thing BUFFY can't do is allow you to open saved games from other players who aren't using BUFFY, for example in a Succession Game.

The next version of BUFFY will be able to run with BUG installed as a single-player mod so you can use BUG to open other saved games.

Thank you, until the later happens ill try to motivate people to use Buffy :)

I used autolog in my first two BtS 3.19 games. The first two lines of the autolog.txt file are:

Logging by BUFFY 4.0 [Build 1695] (BtS 3.17)
------------------------------------------------

The string "3.17" is incorrect; it should be "3.19", right?

Sun Tzu Wu

Top Bottom