2014 NCAA Football Thread

MacAttack

Just the tip
In lieu of the fact that we are past National Signing Day, it is only fitting we start a new thread.

The one thing I have learned about the offseason, is that once the regular season starts, you are reminded that you in fact know nothing.

Do we have the next Winston or Johnny Football brewing in this year's recruiting class that was just signed? If so, who do you think is the most likely candidate?

Don't sleep on Kyle Allen from Scottsdale, Arizona. He is already attending classes at Texas A&M.

That's totally different. Philon could have come if he wanted to, he just would have had to wait and sign the following January. He wanted to come to Alabama, but he didn't want to wait a year, so he went to Arkansas instead. :dunno:

Yeldon committed before signing day . . .

That's totally different. Philon could have come if he wanted to, he just would have had to wait and sign the following January. He wanted to come to Alabama, but he didn't want to wait a year, so he went to Arkansas instead. :dunno:

Yeldon committed before signing day . . .

Yeah well perhaps he needed the money to begin his college education and couldn't afford to sit around for a year waiting.

Everybody can afford to not go to school. Not going to school is free. The disappointment people feel about cases like Philon's is a result of the everybody-gets-a-trophy-for-participating culture. The fact was Alabama made Philon an offer, but as the class developed it became clear that he wasn't going to be able to win playing time. So what's fair? To include him anyway and let him languish on the scout team until he transfers, or to honor your commitment by offering the grayshirt, leaving him the choice to take it or sign elsewhere immediately. It would be great if everybody who wanted to come to Alabama could, but remember that even if scholarships limits allowed that, it wouldn't mean they would see playing time . . .

In other news, ESPN released their post-signing day top 25. With a little distance from last season I've got a little bit of a brighter outlook for us next year, but I still think #2 severely underestimates how much we lost off last year's team. LSU lost a ton too, so maybe we win that one, but I don't see how they could put us over Auburn at this point, at least on paper . . .

EDIT:
Hey look at that, we may be the only ones on this thread now!
It's the offseason. The other conferences only follow football in the fall . . .

Nah, I'm still reading. There have recently been a fair number of CFB threads in OT actually, including one about Sam.

I figured folks were still stopping in to read, so I laid that mine for the lurkers :mwaha:

I haven't ventured into OT for many moons so maybe I'll stop in if people are talking CFB, but probably not the Michael Sam one. I'm looking forward to the inevitable day when a gay pro athlete is a non-story, but I'd rather tweeze my scrotum than read about the rest of the world trying to catch up . . .

I will say I think it's pretty cool that he was so publicly out during his last year in college and no one broke the story against his will. I figured there would have been at least one would-be Clay Travis asking Tebow about his virginity. But I don't really know what Michael Sam's media availability was like. Maybe Mizzou protected him :dunno:

EDIT: I almost answered the one about sweet tea, then I read the one about obesity and remembered why I ignore OT . . .

EDIT EDIT: Okay, I read the OP just because I saw you posted it, but I didn't click the link :p

Anyway, I think you're overselling him. Like everyone else I hope he's successful, but talent-wise he's hardly a lock . . .

I think it is still a non-story just like Robbie Rogers (Los Angeles Galaxy players, first openly gay MLS player) in my opinion was a non-story also.

I am pretty certain that the silent majority (me being part of it) really does not care. So you're gay, Sam. That's great, you are sexually attracted to other dudes. I don't care. I'm not. I prefer women. Let me guess, I bet you don't care either. Thanks for diverting attention away from the AWFUL senior bowl showing you had.

I think it is a stunt by Sam so that his draft stock doesn't drop. I think it may backfire.

Non-story. Move on. <<insert Officer Barbrady classic quote>>

I actually hope he gets drafted that way the "he didn't get drafted because he's gay" storyline doesn't hit newsstands.

I think it's pretty clear from the stupid high traffic on all the stories this week that is *is* a story. You can't compare anything that happens in the MLS (plus, wasn't Rogers out of the league when that happened?) to the NFL. This may be the most scrutinized NFL Combine ever.

I guess I give the general public too much credit?:undecide:

Or perhaps a few hundred thousand clicks means its a trend worth discussing even though we are hundreds of millions of Americans. It is the slow season for national sports news outside of the Winter Olympics. You are right, stupid traffic :wallbash:.

Robbie Rogers was out of the league but he attributed his absence to the lack of tolerance towards homosexuals in sports. Until the Galaxy acquired his rights from Chicago. I think there is more to his story than what is public, but that was the only example I could think of at the time.

Speaking of the combine, my gut says AJ McCarron (if healthy) should throw at the combine.

I wish highly touted QBs like Johnny and Teddy would throw at the combine, but I think I have a better shot at getting invited to the combine to participate than the chance to see them throw at the combine.

I definitely don't think Michael Sam coming out is a stunt, and I don't think it can help his chances. You only get so many draft picks, why spend one on someone whose very presence could possibly disrupt your locker room. He seems like he should present well in the interview process though . . .

Maybe McCarron will throw at pro day . . ?

EDIT: Oh, and Bill Connelly has started his 128 team countdown . . .

If he grades out as a 3rd round talent or so normally, and you can get him in the 5th, then I'd say that's pretty worth the potential distraction. A competent team won't be swamped by it -- or just any team with bigger storylines hanging around. I'm sure New England or Green Bay wouldn't care, and he'd barely get noticed.

Or, if he's gonna be that big a problem, sign Tebow to your training camp roster and suddenly you won't hear a word about Sam.

I'm sure if he's a third round talent he'll land somewhere, but I've heard a lot of different things about how he's going to transition to the NFL. I don't follow the NFL, so I don't know . . .

There are legitimate questions about his size, and whether he'll be better as a smaller defensive end or as a bigger outside linebacker. There are also some questions about his durability. What isn't a question is his ability to pressure the QB and get outside, and even as a situational player, a good end rusher is something basically everybody can use.

Unless he totally blows the combine, he's def worth a mid round draft choice.

If he grades out as a 3rd round talent or so normally, and you can get him in the 5th, then I'd say that's pretty worth the potential distraction. A competent team won't be swamped by it -- or just any team with bigger storylines hanging around. I'm sure New England or Green Bay wouldn't care, and he'd barely get noticed.

Or, if he's gonna be that big a problem, sign Tebow to your training camp roster and suddenly you won't hear a word about Sam.

Well Manti Teo has slipped under the radar in San Diego. Perhaps the same will happen to Sam.

Top Bottom