Default promotions

Michkov

Emperor
I'm wondering what CFCs thinks on the first few promotions they give to a fresh unit and the reasoning behind it. Do you favour certain promos depending on how you'll use the unit or by type?

I usually don't give any promos to fresh units, unless that unit will be used immediately in some capacity for defense likely.

Promos equal health and are best given when you know the intended purpose, whether offense or defense, so saving them can be a good move.

City Raider (CR) on Melee/Siege for attacking cities.
Support promos for some units on defense or attacking in the field.
Generally combat on Mounted and maybe a couple of Shock promos for Melee/Counters.

I do really like the Accuracy promo on some cats early on, if I have the luxury/success to do that. I tend to keep those alive if I go the Treb route later so Trebs can just get CR promos. I'm more of a Mounted warfare guy though, so siege is not often what I use.

There are certain exceptions for certain leaders or uniques. I like the Drill line on Chokes, Oromos, and SB LBs if I have the luxury to play around with that...and even Samurais.

I usually use flanking to mounted and naval units, and collateral damage to siege units. For naval units, flanking is succeeded by movement 1 and 2 (I usually circumnavigate, so I have very fast ships). For mounted, flanking I is followed by flanking II, then it varies. I try to city garrison archery and grenadiers if they are to stay in a city, otherwise drill, but I tend to screw it up.

In most situations, all non-city-defenders will get combat with some rare exceptions for city raider swords. Siege get city raider unless I'm using them defensively against an invading stack. Those get barrage or drill depending on the offending stack's size and if siege is tech parity or behind. Combat adds up better IMO and the higher levels offer some amazing promotions like March and combat 5 is pretty boss

Top Bottom