Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I can't figure out how this works at all, and there's nothing in the manual. Can anyone help me out?

Great_Scott said:
Quite simply, that's not possible. Even if you had one large enemy left, well one of you would have over 45% world population.

The only way it's possible is if you de-select the domination victory setting.

Is that right? I was wondering about this myself, actually.
Doesn't domination require a certain percentage of the population _and_ a certain percent of the world landmass? So, if it's early enough that there's still lots of world left unsettled, or if you're burning cities rather than capturing them, it seems that you could have a conquest rather than a domination.

Is that right?

Prince David said:
I don't understand how the second level religious building are enabled (Jewish Synagouge, Moslem Mosque, etc). There is a requirement of "3 X Temples." Does this mean that I can only start to build them once I've built three temples? Or that I can only build one for every three temples? (I assume the game keeps track and that I can only build in a city that already has a temple.) Or that I can only build in a city that already has three temples? (And if so, how the heck do I do that?)

That confused me at first too. You need x temples of that religion somewhere in your empire before you can build one 2nd level building. In your case, you'd need three buddhist temples (and, as you say, one of them has to be in the city in question) before you can build a buddhist stupa. Three more before the second stupa.

They're important buildings too - key for a cultural victory.

Courthouses work the same with the forbidden palace. Theatres and the Globe too.

The exact number required probably varies with game speed, and perhaps map size and difficulty as well.

Anybody know why those production icons (small thumbnails that show-up on the right-hand side of the screen each turn showing what completed construction this turn; click on them and you go to the city that built it) sometimes disappear? I've had them showing-up fine, then at some point, they just stop appearing for the rest of the game.

gippy said:
Is that right? I was wondering about this myself, actually.
Doesn't domination require a certain percentage of the population _and_ a certain percent of the world landmass? So, if it's early enough that there's still lots of world left unsettled, or if you're burning cities rather than capturing them, it seems that you could have a conquest rather than a domination.

Is that right?

_and_ Yes you're right there... personally I never go for the quick kill, I prefer to play right through, so yeah.. it is possible to achieve Conquest over domination...

That makes me wonder then...

Why not set domination to be based soley on "controlling at least xx% of the world's land mass"?

And then leave conquest to be the total destruction that it is now.

Sure that would leave out the case where your cities are all such mammoth mounds of people that you've done gone and over-populated the earth... but I'm not sure I'd even care about a granary victory...:king:

sorry if this has been asked before bit lost but can anyone tell me how to load from an autosave it keeps crashing

Anybody seen this before? Know what it means?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 900
loydoy said:
sorry if this has been asked before bit lost but can anyone tell me how to load from an autosave it keeps crashing
Just like you load a normal save. They are stored in the auto directory that your normal saves are in. So in single player they are in My Documents\My Games\Civilization 4\Saves\single\auto

Question regarding the founding of Holy Cities.
I previously thought they were found at a random city when the tech is discovered. But I found if I have two or more cities by the time I get the necessary tech, the holy city never is identical with my capital. So, are there any factors influencing this? The smallest/tallest city, cities with much/few culture, scientific output, capital automatically forbidden, ...?

Does the AI know how to use transports effectively to flank you. I noticed they just have a bunch of boats hanging around far off places in my civ but they never try to land anything.

Teshik said:
Question regarding the founding of Holy Cities.
I previously thought they were found at a random city when the tech is discovered. But I found if I have two or more cities by the time I get the necessary tech, the holy city never is identical with my capital. So, are there any factors influencing this? The smallest/tallest city, cities with much/few culture, scientific output, capital automatically forbidden, ...?
As far as I can tell, it is totally random.

Civgeek said:
Anybody seen this before? Know what it means?

Short answer, you have production that is being carried over from what you are working on now and you have a bonus on what you are working on now that has to be removed from the carried over production

more detail see:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=141153

Krikkitone said:
Short answer, you have production that is being carried over from what you are working on now and you have a bonus on what you are working on now that has to be removed from the carried over production

more detail see:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=141153
That's exactly what I was about to post, but than I saw that it as a negitive, not a positive like what I've seen in other posts.

Can you pillage (or otherwise destroy terrain improvements) with fixed wing aircraft? Do helecoptors use all their movement points unloading from a ship? Anyone done any industrial / modern age pillaging and fancy giving pointers?

Is there a way to find out what difficulty level a game is that you are playing?

I'll tell you why I ask. All of a sudden a game I think I started on chiefton is a lot more difficult. I have played a couple of games at that level and won fairly easily. This was to be my last before I moved up to warior. I'm thinking maybe I'm on noble because I didn't cnange the level in the custom game menu. Of cause I may also be stuck on stupid or the 1.09 patch changed things.

Ahyway, I'll keep playing but in the end I want to be sure what level I lost or won on.

Hi, I paused my game and don't know how to unpause. I would like to know how to pause and unpause please. Sorry, I did not read all eighteen pages so I don't know if it has already been adressed. Thanks.

The Condor said:
Hi, I paused my game and don't know how to unpause. I would like to know how to pause and unpause please. Sorry, I did not read all eighteen pages so I don't know if it has already been adressed. Thanks.
Earlier in this thread, I read that you hit the pause/break key to pause the game, and then hit that same key again to un-pause it. I won't swear that this works, since I've never used the 'pause' feature myself, but it's somewhere in the first 17 pages of this thread!

Civgeek said:
Anybody know why those production icons (small thumbnails that show-up on the right-hand side of the screen each turn showing what completed construction this turn; click on them and you go to the city that built it) sometimes disappear? I've had them showing-up fine, then at some point, they just stop appearing for the rest of the game.

Those randomly disappear if you have the "Right-Click Menu" option checked.

Top Bottom