Great Mosque of Djenne and prophets

black213

Emperor
I've seen people here around civfanatics claim that the Great Mosque gives an extra spread to prophets as well rather than to missionaries only.

Sometime ago I decided to try it as Sweden: the plan was to spread religion with prophets only and gift them to a CS before using their last spread.
I thought the supposed extra spread from the GMoD would compliment my strategy just perfectly!
However, my prophets still had only 4 spreads after building the GMoD.

So, I want to know does the GMoD give a spread to prophets or not... From my own experience it doesn't; however I see people say that it indeed does...

I believe it does, so long as you purchase the prophet in the city in which the Mosque is built.

Prophets gained though any other means, from any other city, do not get the extra spread.

Was the Great Mosque built in your holy city (probably capital)?

Once the Industrial Age hits you buy Great Prophets manually for a particular city. But before then, Great Prophets are spawned naturally when you reach enough Faith. I would imagine that these Great Prophets would have to be spawned in the city with the Great Mosque to gain the benefit. If you built the Great Mosque in your second city and the Prophet appears in your holy city / capitol, then he's not going to get the extra use.

It does, its even in the upcoming patch notes as a thing that they will be updating the description for.

The problem (bug?) happens with Prophets that auto-spawn before Industrial era:
- Before Industrial era, Prophets will spawn when you cross the faith level (200, 300, 500, 800, 1200, ...). These prophets do not get an extra charge, even if the Great Mosque is build in your Holy City.
- From Industrial era and forth, you can manually purchase Prophets, and these will get an extra charge if you purchase them in the town that has Great Mosque.

So when I build Great Mosque, I always try to hold off Great Prophets from spawning until I'm into the Industrial so as to get most of them. Btw. notice that a Great Prophet who has the extra charge can Spread Religion once and then found a Holy Site unlike normal Great Prophets, who have to have all their charges left in order to found the site. This may or may not be intentional.

Kaspergm is perfectly right.
I can t remember if choosen prophets benefits from it or not tough , I mean through liberty finisher or pisa for instance...I do seem to remember using prophets with djenne bonus charge before industrial for some reason.

I'm not sure how you stop great prophets from spawning, eve when faith is set to save for later, I still keep on getting auto great prophet spawns once enough faith foe them has accumulated.

Btw. notice that a Great Prophet who has the extra charge can Spread Religion once and then found a Holy Site unlike normal Great Prophets, who have to have all their charges left in order to found the site. This may or may not be intentional.
Probably not intentional, it should be one purpouse at time IMHO. +1 spread if you decide to spread.

In religion screen there is an option to "let me dicide" or smothing like that. Is this prevent GP to auto pop?

I'm not sure how you stop great prophets from spawning, eve when faith is set to save for later, I still keep on getting auto great prophet spawns once enough faith foe them has accumulated.
True, the only way you can "save up" those Great Prophets is by spending the faith on something else, but if you have Pagodas or similar that usually helps with this, and you can always buy a couple of Inquisitors to stack up to prevent enemy to convert your cities.

True, the only way you can "save up" those Great Prophets is by spending the faith on something else, but if you have Pagodas or similar that usually helps with this, and you can always buy a couple of Inquisitors to stack up to prevent enemy to convert your cities.

I wish they would fix this. In games where it is possible to do so I usually pick both Pagodas and Mosques as my follower options. I then generate as much faith as possible so that I can put a Pagoda and a Mosque in each of my cities. Whenever my conquest of other Civs slows down I end up with all my cities having both buildings. At that point all I want to do is save faith until I conquer a few more cities, but the game won't let me do it. Instead it gives me Great Prophets which I really have no use for (within my game strategy).

Well, other than stockpiling some cheap missionaries and inquisitors or planting some Holy Sites, the only other solution I can offer is for you to get into the Industrial Era a bit quicker. The auto-spawn of GPrs ends when you are in the Industrial Era.

Or you could just generate less faith. :crazyeye:

Or you could just generate less faith. :crazyeye:

You could sell off your Shrines and Temples and build/purchase them again in the Industrial Era.

Top Bottom