City state building missionaries with no majority religion

ajl1980

Chieftain
CS has 3 religions, but none of them majority and as far as I've been keeping an eye on it hasn't had a dominant one in about 100 turns

But I've noticed they've built 3 missionaries. How is this possible, considering I can't build a missionary in a city with no dominant religion?

I think the AI doesn't do anything more than spreading/converting with its faith (with a big emphasis on city states and flipping holy cities). I often see city states littered with captured missionaries but I've never seen an AI city with the holy site improvement, and I assume they don't buy Great People with faith either (although t250 spaceships on Deity might be evidence that they do).

CS has 3 religions, but none of them majority and as far as I've been keeping an eye on it hasn't had a dominant one in about 100 turns

But I've noticed they've built 3 missionaries. How is this possible, considering I can't build a missionary in a city with no dominant religion?

The CS has captured those 3 Missionaries from a civ or civs it's at war with, or has been at war with, who sent them to try to convert the CS.

A CS cannot be a Holy City, and neither can they produce Missionaries, Inquisitors or Great People of any kind.

Top Bottom