Civ V stock image Scavenger hunt

Awesome thread. :D
Could have something to do with the background maybe?

The (barely perceptible in the icon) background can be explained the same way; that's what the background to David really looks like. The angle is similar, but with unique objects I would think that similar representations necessarily occur. Like the Himeji Castle match; there is only one Himeji Castle, so I wouldn't think it's necessarily a copy of a stock picture so much as a copy of reality.

Nice finds, and I agree that the Wonders/famous stuff is nearly identical to every picture of it. :p

Very interesting finds. :) I know that fan projects or mods often use stock photos, but somehow I always thought that professional developing studios created their own artwork ...

Makes me wonder whether the "art deco" style of presentation was also chosen for economical reasons (not that much effort to filter existing stock photos in a way that it matches an art deco presentation, even if taken from very diverse sources). ;)

Awesome stuff !
Can you also post what did you google for the less obvious ones, like the mass media boy? Searched for mass media and newspaper and couldn't find him :)

Attachments

• TheAlchemist.jpg
    TheAlchemist.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,142
Very interesting finds. :) I know that fan projects or mods often use stock photos, but somehow I always thought that professional developing studios created their own artwork ...

Makes me wonder whether the "art deco" style of presentation was also chosen for economical reasons (not that much effort to filter existing stock photos in a way that it matches an art deco presentation, even if taken from very diverse sources). ;)

Fan projects use stock photos because of lack of manpower, lack of design knowledge and fair use. But it's ok, they are mods, many game developers learn their trade through mods and eventually build themselves up to professional standards.

That Firaxis is using stock images is more than a lazyness, it's a liability. Of the hundreds of art assets within the game, unless ALL of them are public domain, or all of them have permision or were leased legaly, then Firaxis could be facing a few letters from a few lawyers.

I'm a graphic designer and I have not used stock images since my first year of college, because it's a potential liability. I know a lot of fellow designers do so, that's their thing. But I find it to be of poor ethics (not to mention the visual language ends up being all over the place, from comicbook-like quality to photorealistic).

My wife is a photographer, and while we are amused, she was pissed off to find that not only some of these images might have been used without asking for permision (we assume, as most of these are from the first few pages of google image search) but also that they were "drawified", often through the use of photoshop filters. As if that would make more dignifying.

And now more examples:

Trebuchet used as a visual reference (the boulder and rope part being the only difference)

Visual reference likely used for the Brute. It's cute that this was found on google under "brute". Still, some work done here, no liability (maybe framing and pose). Let the audience judge this one.

Donkey is a perfect match. TWICE. Still looking for the father and son and the woman. The father and son are likely 3 composite images: the bottom part holding the legs, the son and finnally the fathers face. The lady is likely just one image.

That Firaxis is using stock images is more than a lazyness, it's a liability.
They may also have run out of time. I vaguely recall that some artwork (specifically icons) had been done by a contracted artist already, but then they wanted to go for another look and had to redo them. I'm not 100% sure on this, but somebody else might remember better. In any case, it could explain why the artists in question not only used stock images, but also apparently often took the first ones that a google search turned up. There's also other evidence that the whole team (including artists) was in a hurry, like using concept art in the game. (Not trying to find excuses, just looking for a possible explanation.)

They may also have run out of time. I vaguely recall that some artwork (specifically icons) had been done by a contracted artist already, but then they wanted to go for another look and had to redo them. I'm not 100% sure on this, but somebody else might remember better. In any case, it could explain why the artists in question not only used stock images, but also apparently often took the first ones that a google search turned up. There's also other evidence that the whole team (including artists) was in a hurry, like using concept art in the game. (Not trying to find excuses, just looking for a possible explanation.)

I think you hit it right on the money my friend. I think it's a clear sign of economic woes within the studio.

MORE IMAGES!!

Original Cow image flipped to avoid liabilities, worthy of Deviantart-like mentality. I don't think flipping the original images gives you any type of immunity or fair use (that goes double for youtube videos that also use this obscure tactic).

... I'll let this one speak for itself. BTW, Firaxis is located in a state that has one of the highest black populations in the country (as noted by Eric to my original claim that Maryland was all black).

Perfect match. They added the V on the fridge and copied it 2 more times.

A way to check if it was a money-/time-issue is to see if the artwork in the DLC have been done in similar quick fashion, I suppose.

Great thread, btw :)

This is by far the most original thread! Great finds! Well i learned something today.

BTW, Firaxis is located in a state that's predominantly black.

LMAO! Are you kidding me? Maryland (my home state) is NOT predominantly black (a little more than 25% as of '05), and Sparks, where they are headquartered (and where one of my oldest, closest friends lives), is as lily-white as can be.

PG County (where I live) *is* predominantly black, but that's about as close to accurate as your statement gets.

LMAO! Are you kidding me? Maryland (my home state) is NOT predominantly black (a little more than 25% as of '05), and Sparks, where they are headquartered (and where one of my oldest, closest friends lives), is as lily-white as can be.

PG County (where I live) *is* predominantly black, but that's about as close to accurate as your statement gets.

I thought they were located in Hunt valley, which is just a little bit north of Baltimore. Anyways you are right, Maryland is not predominantly black, yet it has a large population of racial minorities. Baltimore, which is were I live, is predominantly black (around 60%) while Maryland has a 30% black population. Considering the country is around 10% black people, 30% is still a big deal. But yeah, my bad.

Edit: did they moved from Hunt Valley to sparks recently??

We are located in the heart of Hunt Valley, Maryland, 20 minutes North of Baltimore in Maryland’s spectacular horse country. Our location offers easy access to affordable suburban living in Maryland’s northern counties, and Pennsylvania’s southern counties, as well as eclectic city living in downtown Baltimore. We’re one hour from Washington, DC and 3 hours from New York City.

Our Address

Firaxis Games
10 Loveton Circle
Sparks, MD 21152

Edit 2: why they moved to sparks in 2009!

Hunt Valley and Sparks are about 1 mile from one another.

[edit]I am almost positive I can guess what business park they were in in Hunt Valley prior to moving. Loveton circle is almost directly across the street from my buddy's townhouse. Crazy!

Depending on whether these stock images are in the public domain or not, it's actually really unprofessional and possibly criminal if they used them and didn't pay anyone the rights :/

I hope they paid what was due everyone anyway.

I don't have the time right now, but you might also be able to find a match for the biology tech icon by looking for "nautilus shell" on stock image sites. The Civ icon definitely depicts a halved shell, the chambers inside are visible. Though there are obviously many photos of such shells floating around, so it'd be a bit tricky to find a perfect match.

Top Bottom