[MoO] ICEMOD: mod design, race design, strategies

Nice game Markus! In the GC vote, what percentage of the votes came from you alone?
Being Charismatic certainly helps in attracting votes.

Good job again with the Gauss Cannons and also with the tests with better comp.

I trust that due to firing twice with Hyper-X that your getting a kill on the first turn and don't have to wait a turn without firing while the Guardian repairs and attacks?

Structural Analyzer rocks, but I hate to forgo Auto Labs, but then again, I am rarely playing tech races so I need the added research and my production and expansion can result in many autolabs quickly.

50/126, Bulrathi voted for themselves (23), everyone else for me.

Yeah, first turn. The Guardian is literally capable of destroying that entire fleet of 6 BBs if I let it do anything.

Right, I imagine when playing production I'll have to steal the Analyzer via spies, or go without. For me, 25 RP autolabs are just not necessary, when my well developed planets do some 200-300 research each. Combat force multipliers, on the other hand...

War report, final part!

Turn 246: Doom Stars researched. Sent orders to the shipyards to pre-build. Despite the massive refitting I am expecting, they will at least gather experience points. And deter war.

4k research per turn. Going for AF Disrupters now. After that, mutating to TransDimensional, because +4 speed = +4 initiative. It's a little thing, but as little things go it's one of my favourite things about Icemod.

History graph is a pleasant thing to look at every 10 turns or so.

I have 224 Freighters (how did I end up with a non-multiple of 5?) and still not enough to carry all the food. This is a New Experience for me.

Oh wait, I forgot I'm transferring a gazillion people to Orion. So that's just temporary.

Painful choice: Sensors vs Disrupters. Sensors seem kinda important for strategic reasons, although I eliminated the only Stealthy Ships in this particular game. Man, if only Maulers weren't so, so much worse than Disrupters.

Turn 254: Research down to 3k again. I moved a ton of population from Poor to Rich but still developing planets.

Turn 260: Time Warp Facilitator or Star Gate? Since my fleet is quality over quantity, being able to respond quickly without keeping many different fleets is important. On the other hand, TWF is a quite a force multiplier when used with Phasing Cloak.

Sigh. Star Gate it is.

Trying to steal techs from Psilons. Nothing's coming through.

Turn 267: Gnolans died to someone, not that I care. Another Council vote. I had 70-something votes out of 155. Abstained again.

Turn 268: Psilons offered a tech trade. Got Rangemaster for Maulers. I'm happy.

Turn 272: Full complement of spies on Psilons and Bulrathi, nothing so far. Sadface.

Research back above the 5k per turn range. Only 3 planets building ships now that I have a few Doom Stars already.

Turn 276: Alcari declare war!

No idea why. We had good relations, I didn't even spy on them (yet). They're also dead last in statistics. I imagine this was provoked by a large spike downwards in my fleet rating, when I refitted a bunch of my ships at once.

Asked Psilons to break their alliance with Alcari. That... worked. Well, my Doom Stars with AF Disrupters shall get some workout!

Turn 280: I'm embarassed to have gotten excited. These guys are terrible and offer no threat.

Turn 313: To sum up quite a number of turns shortly, I got bored and declared war on everyone. They offered horribly little resistance, and I recoiled at the prospect of having to micromanage 100 more planets or however many were left to conquer. So I just teched in peace (well, war, but as good as peace since I could destroy any fleet easily) at 14k per turn, to miniaturise my weapons a bit more, and finally started getting some results from spying, too.

On Turn 313 I sent 3 ships to Antares and won the game in my favourite way (*).

(*or 4 ships were enough, if I replaced Damper Field with Heavy Armor + Class X Shield. Since I hadn't researched assault shuttles, due to taking Bomber Bays, I wanted to see what would happen if I didn't get lucky at Orion. I think that answers my question about how powerful non-Creative beam ships I am able to make...)

Observations: I didn't really miss Creative from a win/lose standpoint.

It had little effect on early/mid game, where most of the variance between success and loss is found; speed of research and production were most important. At most I had to dip a level deeper into the tech tree to fill a particular need than I would have otherwise. Even later there was only one REALLY painful choice for me, and that was Disruptors vs Sensors (painful in principle, Sensors wouldn't have come into play in this particular game, but imagine a game with 1/4 of the galaxy held by Darloks). Besides, there are other ways to fill such gaps than just researching them myself. The diplomatic effects of tech gifting were easily duplicated with cheap Charismatic, which also does other things.

I only missed Creative because, well, I just enjoy having every tech and being able to mess with ship designs.

Charismatic, on the other hand, feels very useful for its price. It's powerful combined with Democracy (I am tempted to try a Fantastic Traders build on top of it!). Even though I realize how much luck I had this game with the leaders: getting a Famous one early tends to snowball. Still, this isn't the only game I used it in.

Some mods of ICE have been done manually in the exe and cannot be changed with this tool.
Also note that with overwriting my exe with OCL, the Outpost Ship cost will be broken and will read as 100, while still costing 200.
Offcourse it is fixable as follow:
166609: 64 (100) > C8 (200)
Also, changing the Orion reward tech with this tool only changed 11D819, not 11D833 or 11D845. Any idea why? Are those other two offsets unnecessary?

Stuff like this makes me wary. Gonna do a binary compare and then readd the all the changes manually to a clean icemodx.exe.

Theeeere we go:
11D845: 2F -> C9 (going with your instructions rather than the tool)

Readding Dimensional Portal to tech tree
1FC9B7 4A -> 27
1FC9B9 03 -> 00 (dunno what this does, AI priority maybe? but it's the vanilla value.)
Added it to hyperdimensional rather than multidimensional physics, since it's the more advanced -dimensional tech field.
Spoiler :
I may also not want it to compete with Disrupter and Sensors. Cough.

Creative costing 10:
RACESTUF.LBX
187F: 0E -> 0A

Time to see if I broke anything.

Also, changing the Orion reward tech with this tool only changed 11D819, not 11D833 or 11D845. Any idea why? Are those other two offsets unnecessary?
Not sure why, haven't checked the tool. It should change all 3:

11D819: 2F: This checks if the tech is available in game.
11D833: 2F: This will give you Death Ray, you can change to any tech# also non-Xenon tech
11D845: 2F: Influences what you see in the textbox after you captured Orion. You can write any tech here and you will see it on screen, but you will actually get what is on place of 11D833.

1FC9B9 03 -> 00 (dunno what this does, AI priority maybe? but it's the vanilla value.)
3 stands for 'xenon technology' to indicate it is Antaran or Orion tech.
Regular techs have a 0, 1 or 2
Have no clue what 0,1,2 signifies or what it influences in the game.
Suggestion welcome :)

Doing a quick playthrough with Democracy, Charismatic, and Fantastic Traders (no Creative). This is exactly as much fun as I had anticipated. UNLIMITED MONEY!

Except the part where I got Xenophobix Silicoids nearby, who agreed only to a trading treaty, wouldn't agree to anything else. That's less fun. I didn't get an influx of famous/diplomatic officers this time, so all I have above Charismatic is Xeno Psychology. Eventually (turn 120ish) they started a war and started blockading me.

I do have trading and research treaties with everyone else, though Gnolam will probably declare soon because some jerk race keeps framing me. These research treaties reaaaaaaally came through for me when I had pretty much my whole economy set on building ships. I'm getting like 200 RP total from 5 races at turn 150, added to 300+ of my own (now that I put the Poor planets back on research). Gonna research Bomber Bays to make Fighter Garrison a quick and powerful defense for captured worlds.

Anyway. 7 Frigates told the Silicoids to get lost from my homeworld's skies. Now (turn 150) 3 Battleships (soon 4) are telilng them that this war was a Bad, Bad Idea for them.

Wait a frikkin' minute. So I checked the race screen (finally, because this is a quick game and I'm not paying attention to things) to see how good they will be as a slave race. Democracy? wtf. + espionage? so I guess they are the ones framing me. Lithovore and Tolerant, no production bonuses. Hm. I guess they'll be easy to manage at least. Still, democratic Silicoids, now I've seen everything.

Still, democratic Silicoids, now I've seen everything.
Always thought the game was 'slightly' biased with these Charisma Demo Humans ....
So there you have it: Democratic and non-Repulsive 'computers'
hahahh

Update: Yep, a Fighter Garrison killed a BB and I think a CC, all alone. Damn I love Bomber Bays.

Also, Cryslon has fallen at turn 165. The writing is on the walls for the Silicoids...

I'm above everyone else in fleet. Enjoying that while it lasts.

Had a fun battle, where I was facing a BB and Star Base with warp dissipator. The BB had mostly beams. I had 4 BBs with 20 Nukes 2x, all mods. I fired 7 out of 8 salvos at the Star Base to make sure that warp dissipator goes down, and the last one at the BB. BB survived but immobilized. Took the scenic route to avoid the Neutron Blasters, and raided it with my troopers. I never get to do that :) I had just researched 3 ground combat technologies, too.

Good stories!

Xentronium as guaranteed Orion reward:
Considered this too, but thought it to be too strong tech to get it guaranteed from Orion, as Human player is usually able to get there first.

Damn I love Bomber Bays.
Perhaps a small oversight from me, when I made Bombers available earlier in the tech tree, in the same field with Fighters. Prob. better if # bombers is equal to # fighters, so 3 instead of 4.

Are you trying to get me to stop reporting when something works well? ;) Remember I did sacrifice assault shuttles for something that will never matter again after this war.

Considered this too, but thought it to be too strong tech to get it guaranteed from Orion, as Human player is usually able to get there first.

Dunno, Death Rays seem at least as strong if not stronger to me, at the time I get them. They are more space-efficient than unminiaturised maulers or disrupters, and they beat all shields in the game, including Barrier Shields, unlike Gauss Cannons (my weapon of choice while taking Orion). Also, this may be a playstyle thing, but as I go for first strike victories, armor doesn't really matter to me. Except 1. during the early Mirv Nuke war and 2. when attacking Antares, because I have to survive the Reflection Fields.

I only want Xentronium because that will last me the whole game and spare me a bit of research in Chemistry, while Death Rays I ditch soon after I have AF Disrupters.

Update:
Sonova b... Silicoids rebelled on Cryslon, then surrendered to the Bulrathi. This reduces my gains to 3 systems (instead of 6) added to my 5, and gains me a very strong neighbour.

Turn 170: Won Council vote, hehe. Reloading...

Charismatic gave you a GC win T170! Seems rather strong :mischief: Manipulating AI's can sometimes lead to very easy wins.

As for Orion, I am happy with Ice default of always Death Ray and 30% (I think Dim. Port) and the usual random other stuff.

Yeah, it may actually be underpriced. Unlike a certain other tech I could name, cough.

Also, more than anything else you've said, that one bit of advice of yours about early colony bases got me thinking about a whole lot of things in my game, so thanks for that. I've been more and more dominant in the last few games.

CORRECTION: When I earlier said I was comparing Optronic vs Moleculartronic against Orion, and the upgrade made the ships over twice as good at taking it down, I was actually talking about Optronic vs Cybertronic. (I still stated correctly that it was a difference of +50 beam offense.)

From Gontzol's Guide:

Chance to hit is determined by the delta BA - BD

BA - BD Chance to hit
------- -------------
-100 1%
-90 2%
-80 3%
-70 5%
-60 7%
-50 10%
-40 15%
-30 21%
-20 30%
-10 39%
0 50%
10 61%
20 70%
30 79%
40 85%
50 90%
60 93%
70 95%
80 97%
90 98%
100 99%

I only want Xentronium because that will last me the whole game and spare me a bit of research in Chemistry, while Death Rays I ditch soon after I have AF Disrupters.

For me this means that Xentr. is a better tech, as it will last you the rest of the game.
Death Ray can be strong but cannot be miniaturized and after some time other weapons will be better.
Also having Death Ray on your Star Bases is not always that great, while Xentr. just rocks to have on your defenses.
But as you said, if you play '1st strike' than armor matters less.

I am always very happy to get Damper Field from the Antarans.

As for Cre, maybe it should cost about +12. Maybe Char. should cost about +8.

Repulsive sucks compared to being able to "interface" with the AI's, perhaps it should be more than -9 negative. But if you're planning quick attacks or much spying, then Repulsive great for -9.

The value of negs and positives can change based on the combination of them and players have different styles and things can vary based on galaxy size. It is impossible to please everyone all the time with these balance choices.

Rocco has done a great job and ICE race picks are lots better balanced than Vanilla.

It is funny Neilkaz, we had a similar discussion when Muton came along back in April and showed the power of Sub/Crea/Charisma: sub to be able to turtle a bit with expanding the # planets, and crea/charisma to shower the a.i. with techs and play nice to them. We subsequently increased Charisma from 5 to 6 picks. With Crea now down to 14, the combo has again the same cost :) just different valuation of the parts. I do not mind really that this play style gives a sub T200 win, as long as it meant that it was an interesting game to play. That each game can be interesting is my goal with this mod. And it is in fact one of the amazing things of moo2 that it allows for so many play styles. It is why I still play it!

If the goal is to win at lowest turns than Blitz races still easily win in much less turns than Charismatic races, so in that sense I am not too worried about Charisma being too cheap. In addition, the cost of being Charisma is also; not being able to pick Repulsive. From that perspective, chosing Charisma costs 9+6=15 potential eco picks. So it better gives something in return. :)

And indeed Repulsive sucks, no benefits from treaties and less control over your opponents. Perhaps Repulsive could be -10, just like Crea perhaps could be +13. But at -9 you can build very strong races with this trait and ultimate proof is that the ability is being used for building races. The same cannot be said for Uncreative or -Money, those are hardly used even at -12 picks. Thus the ultimate question about valuation is the total race, rather than the individual ability.

An example of this is the -research pick that is now valued at -9 instead of -8. Seemingly no big deal and probably still nobody will like this trait at -9. Except that it makes an interesting Blitz race possible: 'Feudal, -Res, -Spy'. As blitz races come with Tele, the spy damage is somewhat limited. Spy damage means sabotage by opponents here coz they can spy all they want but will find no techs... with 'Fued -Res' you can pretty much forget about doing any serious research. It would mean suicide - unless you play a Blitz strategy. With some luck, a few helpful techs come from conquest.

Just another thought about a.i. races: I have been quietly decyphering the a.i. code and there is a lot of stuff which can already be modded. But as they are part of a larger A.I. / Diplomacy puzzle I have decided to not touch it at all until a 'near complete' picture of the mechanics is achieved. One of my ideas is that a.i. ambassadors get somehwat more quickly tired of you, which causes that more turns are needed to get all treaties. On the other hand, I sometimes wonder over the 'Gnolam' style. You would expect this race to close treaties readily as it benefits from them the most. But the Gnolam can be quite reluctant. Some thing to figure out still.

Oh .. one more thing: ;)

Are you trying to get me to stop reporting when something works well? Remember I did sacrifice assault shuttles for something that will never matter again after this war.
Yes, please keep reporting! Remember we are playing single player games > with the VDC multiplayer mod, improvement comes from players evaluating their game, finding reasons why it was won or lost. Reporting is the only way I would get such feedback. I receive in this way valuable info (also in private messages btw). It does not mean that every single story triggers a new mod, just some new thoughts that can accumulate and gradually add up to a new iteration.

Anyway, 10n is our version for some time to come. Autumn is coming - on this north part of the globe at least - so a good time to play some moo.

@ Rocco,

You can still easily win vs IceX using Blitz races? I find that amazing, but then again, blitz has never been my style nor in my skill set!

the cost of being Charisma is also; not being able to pick Repulsive. From that perspective, chosing Charisma costs 9+6=15 potential eco picks.

If being able to pick Repulsive is such a benefit, maybe it's not worth -9 negative picks ;)

Neilkaz: agreed with pretty much everything.

(Though I think it might be worth setting Cre at 10 just to see what happens; it's not like you guys actually /play this racial pick/. :p Would like some games and analysis to happen with it, other than my own. And I mean economic games, not Cha+Cre diplomatic games.)

Charismatic is kind of a gamble. If you get an early Diplomat, or an early Famous, or upon contact you see you got lucky with what personalities AI neighbours spawn - then congratulations, you already won the game. If not, then you actually get to play. ;) When combined with Cre for tech gifting, it's the power of Charismatic to multiply the effect of tech gifting that makes it so powerful. And it's not like couldn't do that without Cre, would just need to give up a couple useful techs.

(Won that Fantastic Traders game, btw. Enjoyed the hell out of it.)

Rocco: good point the impact of Death Rays and Xentronium on Star Bases. Does the game always put Death Rays in there when it has them, even when other things would be more space-efficient?

You can still easily win vs IceX using Blitz races?
Yes, still possible although much less reliable. And there are many reasons now that can cause a delay. And delays are .. deadly :)
Haven't played much blitz this summer though ...

Does the game always put Death Rays in there when it has them, even when other things would be more space-efficient?
The game unfort. only looks at highest damage per beam, not highest damage per space. If I would mod the Death Ray down for example to 39 damage, then the Disrupter would replace Death Ray as soon as you tech it.

Crea at 10 [...] And I mean economic games
Yeah, I will try one some day .. why not!
Problem with Crea in pure ECO mode remains, especially if you play Pre Warp games, that it isn't useful from the start.
It would be a similar assignment to figure out the value of Telepathic in an ECO game.
Tele at 15 picks is very expensive for that strategy. But an essential ingredient for any Blitz and worth every pick.

Top Bottom