[TOT] Problems playing on Windows 7

bukweet

Chieftain
Hey so I recently found my old civ 2 disc and I want to play again. I knew that I needed a patch from a guy name MastermindX because I had already played with the patch before on a computer with windows 7 a year or two ago. I found it and downloaded it but when I try to apply the patch it says

ERROR : File Civ2 Exename does not exists
ERROR : Operation aborted

Yes I have my game on while I do this and my computer has Windows 7. I read something like maybe the .exe file being named something else? I installed the game like normal so I don't know why that would be the case and anyways when I am running the game the task manager processes says "civ2.exe". I can turn the game on and set up the game but the only problem is that when i build a city it crashes.

Any sort of help will be greatly appreciated! I just want to play a game I love again!!:D

Hey so I recently found my old civ 2 disc and I want to play again. I knew that I needed a patch from a guy name MastermindX because I had already played with the patch before on a computer with windows 7 a year or two ago. I found it and downloaded it but when I try to apply the patch it says

ERROR : File Civ2 Exename does not exists
ERROR : Operation aborted

Yes I have my game on while I do this and my computer has Windows 7. I read something like maybe the .exe file being named something else? I installed the game like normal so I don't know why that would be the case and anyways when I am running the game the task manager processes says "civ2.exe". I can turn the game on and set up the game but the only problem is that when i build a city it crashes.

Any sort of help will be greatly appreciated! I just want to play a game I love again!!:D

Are you browsing to the correct location on your own drive, not the default that appears in the text box when you run the patch? You have to select the civ2.exe file from its location on your computer, which can be different from the default.

Edit: Also, run the patch before you try to run the game. You just need to have the game installed, not running. (I also found that I need to run it in XP sp2 compatibility mode using admin privileges -- just right-click your civ2.exe file, click properties, then the compatibility tab, then choose Win XP sp 2, and down at the bottom, check to run as administrator. You only have to do that once and it should "stick".)

Thanks so much! It seemed like the patch wasn't going to the right place so I just had to redirect it to the civ2.exe . Simple fix but I never thought of it. I seriously appreciate it, thank you!

Top Bottom