What civ to use to kick butt

If you want to change it up you should really try doing Small Continent with high seas and try Dutch with the Sea Beggars. They're crazy fun and really really powerful - you'll crush your opponents and take their units. It's a alot of fun and different way to war. Despite what seems to be the popular view, Pangaea isn't the only way to play Civ.

Korea, even on deity is always easy to win unless they get stomped in the ancient era before they get science bonuses rolling. If you know what you are doing it is pretty much guaranteed diplomatic, science, or cultural victory with Korea. I don't even play Korea anymore because it is too easy.

If you want to change it up you should really try doing Small Continent with high seas and try Dutch with the Sea Beggars. They're crazy fun and really really powerful - you'll crush your opponents and take their units. It's a alot of fun and different way to war. Despite what seems to be the popular view, Pangaea isn't the only way to play Civ.

I am very new to Civ 5, but I have to wonder about this. I don't question how powerful Sea Beggars may be, but it seems to me there is a different problem.

I played the Dutch last night and it takes forever to get to the techs you need for polders and Sea Beggars. Let's see economics and astronomy?

That is a long time to wait to get a unit to base a strategy around (I play epic speed like my hero Marbozir).

Just my take on it, but things start to move so swiftly even at epic speed that the time period Sea Beggars are relevant doesn't last that long. I guess you can build a bunch and upgrade them, and keep those promotions.

But my take is the endgame is an ever accelerating tech race to field better units.

And geez a unique unit and improvement that takes this long to come on line? Polders may be nice, turns out the terrain I had didn't have any marsh.

But terrace farms they aren't. Those things are freaky, and they come early enough to make a big difference.

Watching these games on youtube it seems like it is the blink of an eye sometimes from Frigates to throwing nukes around. The game just moves faster at the end. You meet everyone, have research agreements, spy on people, start bulbing techs from great scientists, get free techs from wonders...

So much so... I'm not sure it is a feature, but rather a bug or poor game design. Seems like the let's play videos I watch spend what seems like 3/5 of the game with triremes and spearmen, then start fielding better units in rapid succession.

If you guys are going for a domination victory then are you still going for Great Library and National College at first two Wonders to get a science base? Or only would focus on Wonders which would increase your military conditions and city strengths?

Brew God

If you guys are going for a domination victory then are you still going for Great Library and National College at first two Wonders to get a science base? Or only would focus on Wonders which would increase your military conditions and city strengths?

Brew God

Great Library isn't a priority for any victory condition on high difficulty levels because its way to unlikely to actually succeed in building it on those levels.

NC though is always the first national wonder built; without it, your science rate is rather abysmal and on standard map size going domination you'd want midevil units to start the conquering as classical won't cut the mustard.

I am very new to Civ 5, but I have to wonder about this. I don't question how powerful Sea Beggars may be, but it seems to me there is a different problem.

I played the Dutch last night and it takes forever to get to the techs you need for polders and Sea Beggars. Let's see economics and astronomy?

That is a long time to wait to get a unit to base a strategy around (I play epic speed like my hero Marbozir).

Just my take on it, but things start to move so swiftly even at epic speed that the time period Sea Beggars are relevant doesn't last that long. I guess you can build a bunch and upgrade them, and keep those promotions.

But my take is the endgame is an ever accelerating tech race to field better units.

And geez a unique unit and improvement that takes this long to come on line? Polders may be nice, turns out the terrain I had didn't have any marsh.

But terrace farms they aren't. Those things are freaky, and they come early enough to make a big difference.

Watching these games on youtube it seems like it is the blink of an eye sometimes from Frigates to throwing nukes around. The game just moves faster at the end. You meet everyone, have research agreements, spy on people, start bulbing techs from great scientists, get free techs from wonders...

So much so... I'm not sure it is a feature, but rather a bug or poor game design. Seems like the let's play videos I watch spend what seems like 3/5 of the game with triremes and spearmen, then start fielding better units in rapid succession.

Personally I find Frigates stay relevant long enough to dominate almost every coastal city. Sea Beggars retain their ability through promotions, too, so they stay relevant. To each his own just throwing out a suggestion on a different way to kick butt. I am in no way saying this is the best/most efficient combat strategy. I just love dominating the seas and owning literally every vessel. The only bad thing about sea combat is the comp is so terrible at it.

Polders are not great I admit. I never find I can field more than 2-3.

Honestly, it feels as though any of the ' top-tier' civs would work for kicking butt as well, just because the top tier civs generally grant bonuses you can easily convert to military might. IE, Poland can sustan both Liberty and Honor early, Babylon runs away in tech and hits the enemy with units a full era ahead, Maya ditto...

The exceptions would be that some of the lower-ranked civs can also shine in niche situations. Denmark comes to mind. Normally Denmark is underwhelming, but on archipelago or even some convenient Continent maps, they can dominate the seas. Byzantium, while normally fairly pointless to play as, has two decent early military UU's, etc.

I was thinking top tier civs could be so many of them.. Im into many I guess... Rome, America, Zulu, Babylon etc.

Sweden or Greece. Sweden can gift GGs to Cultural city states for hilarity and Greece can buy all the CS and rule the world. Go Full Honor and laugh in the face of the turtling science and culture civs (before you kill them).

Top Bottom