Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

. BTW did you actually make those images or just take them from the web, put them together with a banner at the top?

While I can draw well, I cannot draw that good. The left image is from "Empire Earth" (I extracted it from the game) and the one on the right is a random Google image on the web (the signature says Pat Rawlings). As for the scroll at the top that was also random web clipart and then I used "Caveman" font on the left and "Nasaization" font on the right. In short while I did compile the images into one, nothing in it was really made by me. Its not too bad though, right?

---------------

EDIT:

@strategyonly

So I have been going over everything as I have been merging and I have a few questions and suggestions.

1. Why is there "The Council of Elders" and the "Elders Council"? You should just move the elder council to "Cultural Identity" tech and take out the "The Council of Elders". Or the opposite if like the other is better. But i think the Elders Council came first by GeneralStaff.

2. The "Shaman Hut" should be under "Shamanism" tech I would think.

3. I think the "Village Hall" should require some sort of tech like "Shelter Building" or something. It seems weird to have a building when you can't build any other buildings.

4. Perhaps you should have "NONE" as a choice for your Civics. They would have really bad effects and then introduce the following at each tech instead of getting them at the beginning.

Government - Chiefdom (Req Chiefdom)
Power - Junta (Req Warfare)
Society - Tribal (Req Tribalism)
Economy - Barter (Req Barter)
Military- Banditry (Req Warfare)
Religion - Folklore (Req Oral Tradition)
Welfare - Survival (Req Gathering)

@strategyonly

It took me a bunch of tries and I ended up using VUE since I could move thing around better. It should be the right amount of columns and rows. I tried to put some of your techs back in where I did not have one of my own. I also added some new ones like Apiculture (aka Bee Keeping) and Tattoos. let me know what you think.

And while we are on the subject of techs, would you like me to give you the Firefighting and Sports related techs to incorporate into the main tech file rather than me having to have them as a mod? I ask because I was able to get them to work last night and they are ready to go.

@strategyonly:
Maybe it's obvious but I have just seen that you have included some of the units and features of Varietas Delectat and not sure if these is applied to other eras apart from the prehistoric one.

I have been playing Quot Capita which have these units from Varietas in essence and in my opinion one of the main points to consider was the units of the industrial and late era (and obviously the prehistoric era) which included a great variation of air and naval units as well as prototypes, etc.
Are these included too? or will you consider their inclusion?

Thanks for the mod.

EDIT: Also in the case you have already included all the units, the panzer maus has a minor error:

@strategyonly,
Is there a scenario I have to use to get the Prehistoric techs? I can see them in the tree but my starting selection for a Custom Game is always the Original RoM/AND techs. Am I doing something wrong or need to start a special way?

JosEPh :)

@strategyonly:
Maybe it's obvious but I have just seen that you have included some of the units and features of Varietas Delectat and not sure if these is applied to other eras apart from the prehistoric one.

I have been playing Quot Capita which have these units from Varietas in essence and in my opinion one of the main points to consider was the units of the industrial and late era (and obviously the prehistoric era) which included a great variation of air and naval units as well as prototypes, etc.
Are these included too? or will you consider their inclusion?

Thanks for the mod.

EDIT: Also in the case you have already included all the units, the panzer maus has a minor error:

I got everything included EXCEPT the modern era units, because he added alot of techs which i have no more room for in NWA, plus he has some things tied to another and it would take quite awhile to unfold all of that, but otherwise it has everything else already for civ specific units.

Hey, guys

Sorry to bring this back up, but I don't think I saw a definite answer. Are we thinking my computer just can't handle this mod?

Again, I appreciate you guys looking at it for me!

@jhaganosu
I am not sure if it will help but why don't you try a custom game and then make sure it has a smaller map. Also lowering your graphics/game settings could help too.

@strategyonly
Some good news for you. The game loaded with all my mods without any errors this time! :D That doesn't mean there are not think I have to still fix or tweak but at least no loading errors! Also I was able to recover the following units ...

- Trained Dog
- War Dog
- Guard Dog
- Medic
- Police Squad
- Flamethrower
- Motorcycle
- Armored Car
- Jeep
- Humvee
- BTR80
- Hi-Tech APC

Let me know if you remember any other units that Afforess took out of AND back when. Note each of them have been put into either the Domestic Animal mod, Health mod, Military mod or Transportation mod.

I have also been thinking of trying to recover other mods by Afforess that he has abandoned since a lot of the core data is still in the mod, just not being accessed.

Some good news for you. The game loaded with all my mods without any errors this time! :D That doesn't mean there are not think I have to still fix or tweak but at least no loading errors! Also I was able to recover the following units ...

- Trained Dog
- War Dog
- Guard Dog

Let me know if you remember any other units that Afforess took out of AND back when. Note each of them have been put into either the Domestic Animal mod, Health mod, Military mod or Transportation mod.

I am not to concerned right now about adding anymore units :mischief:(presently except the War/Trained/Guard Dogs).

Adding all those techs are really a pain on some. I am trying hard to get them to at least look ok, then add stuff later. But i am getting there.:p

I need only ONE of your mod(s), pick anyone to send me and i will take a look at how you are setting them up, because i need them in a specific format:p

@strategyonly

Here is the "Entertainment Mod" its small and has some techs already converted to the prehistoric mod. However I will need to change the "Dance Hut" tag to whatever you are calling the "Prehistoric Dance" tech's tag.

Entertainment Mod
- Art Patronage
- Dance Hall
- Dance Hut
- Local Radio Station
- Night Club
- Recording Studio
- Storyteller's Hut

Let me know what format you want it to be.

@strategyonly

Here is the "Entertainment Mod" its small and has some techs already converted to the prehistoric mod. However I will need to change the "Dance Hut" tag to whatever you are calling the "Prehistoric Dance" tech's tag.

Entertainment Mod
- Art Patronage
- Dance Hall
- Dance Hut
- Local Radio Station
- Night Club
- Recording Studio
- Storyteller's Hut

Let me know what format you want it to be.

I will take alook, thx, but as far as the Tech Tree is going, i have this so far (FYI):

@strategyonly,
Is there a scenario I have to use to get the Prehistoric techs? I can see them in the tree but my starting selection for a Custom Game is always the Original RoM/AND techs. Am I doing something wrong or need to start a special way?

JosEPh :)

Don't forget to change the starting era for the game the default is ancient and needs to be prehistoric or what ever it is called.

Hey, guys

Sorry to bring this back up, but I don't think I saw a definite answer. Are we thinking my computer just can't handle this mod?

Again, I appreciate you guys looking at it for me!

With all the different art for the units it is getting to the stage I will not be able to play this mod either. Currently I don't go past the classical era so I can still play. I had the same problem with all of ROME added. :(

There is a shortcut 'NWA' in the NWA mod subdirectory is hard coded to the Firaxis games path. I changed the shortcut path to the correct one for me (the default installation path if you bought from 2K games). That part of the path is \2K Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV\ ......... instead of \Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\

If you don't change the path when you load the mod it is just plays vanilla BTS (I have no idea why that shortcut makes a difference - none of the other mods I've tried even have a shortcut in the mod folder). Anyhow, is there any way to change that path in the installation? If not, you might want to update your first post to let folks know what they need to do.

@strategyonly

Looking good! Looks like you have only around 9 techs to go. Great job!

Here is an updated list of what tech requires what since I left out a few techs before ....

Prehistoric Era
Spoiler :

Nomadic Lifestyle - Req None
Language - Req None
Cave Dwelling - Req Nomadic Lifestyle
Gathering - Req Nomadic Lifestyle
Weaving - Req Gathering
Scavenging - Req Gathering
Herbalism - Req Gathering
Cooperation - Req Gathering, Language
Shelter Building - Req Weaving, Cave Dwelling
Basketry - Req Weaving
Tool Making - Req Scavenging
Tracking - Req Scavenging
Natural Pigments - Req Herbalism
Oral Tradition - Req Cooperation
Prehistoric Music - Req Oral Tradition
Prehistoric Dance - Req Prehistoric Music
Ritualism - Req Prehistoric Dance
Cultural Identity - Req Ritualism
Nauropathy - Req Herbalism, Ritualism
Trapping - Req Basketry, Tracking
Stone Working - Req Tool Making
Fine-Edged Tools - Stone Working
Carving - Req Stone Working
Flint Knapping - Req Stone Working
Microlith - Req Fine-Edged Tools
Stone Building - Req Microlith
Petroglyphs - Req Natural Pigments, Cave Dwelling, Cultural Identity
Bone Working - Req Carving
Wood Working - Req Carving
Sewing - Req Weaving, Bone Working
Personal Adornment - Req Weaving, Bone Working, Natural Pigments
Bead Making - Req Personal Adornment
Tribalism - Req Cultural Identity
Tattoos - Req Tribalism, Natural Pigments, Bone Working
Barter - Req Bead Making, Petroglyphs, Tribalism
Carpentry - Req Shelter Building, Wood Working
Sedentary Lifestyle - Req Carpentry, Stone Building
Trap Fishing - Req Trapping, Bone Working
Fire Making - Req Flint Knapping, Wood Working
Slash and Burn - Req Fire Making
Cooking - Req Fire Making
Hunting - Trapping, Cooking, Cooperation,
Canine Domestication - Req Hunting
Poison Crafting - Req Herbalism, Hunting
Tanning - Req Hunting, Sewing
Boat Building - Req Carpentry, Trap Fishing
Warfare - Req Hunting, Tribalism
Chiefdom - Req Warfare
Axe Making - Req Warfare, Fine-Edged Tools
Spear Making - Req Warfare, Fine-Edged Tools
Spear Fishing - Req Trap Fishing, Spear Making
Boat Fishing - Req Boat Building, Spear Fishing
Shamanism - Req Petroglyphs
Ceremonial Burial - Req Shamanism
Megalith Construction - Req Mysticism, Stone Building
Megafauna Domestication - Req Canine Domestication

Ancient Era
Spoiler :

Obsidian Weapons - Req Axe Making, Spear Making
Ancestor Worship - Req Ceremonial Burial
Mysticism - Req Ancestor Worship
Stargazing - Mysticism
Pottery - Req Barter
The Wheel - Req Pottery
Slavery - Req Barter, Warfare
Livestock Domestication - Req Canine Domestication
Elephant Riding - Req Livestock Domestication
Horseback Riding - Req Livestock Domestication
Archery - Req Spear Making
Agriculture - Req Slash and Burn, Livestock Domestication
Apiculture - Req Agriculture
Sailing - Req Boat Fishing
Naval Warfare - Req Saling, Archery
Seafaring - Req Naval Warfare
Mining - Req Pottery
Trade - Req Livestock Domestication, The Wheel
Priesthood - Req Mysticism
Polytheism - Req Mysticism
Sacrifice Cult - Req Mysticism
Fermentation - Req Nauropathy, Agriculture
Masonry - Req Sedentary Lifestyle, Mining
Copper Working - Req Mining, Axe Making, Spear Making
Metal Casting - Req Copper Working
Ship Building - Req Seafaring, Metal Casting
Chariotry - Req The Wheel , Horseback Riding
Writing - Req Trade
Alphabet - Req Writing
Mathematics - Req Writing
Currency - Req Writing, Metal Casting
Bronze Working - Req Metal Casting
Glass Blowing - Req Bronze Working, Masonry
Military Training - Req Bronze Working, Chiefdom

I think i got them all. *crosses fingers*

EDIT: Ok I need 2 techs moved around.

"Obsidian Weapons" move to 1 above "Mysticism".

and

"Megafauna Domestication" moved to 1 above "Canine Domestication".

The reason for this is that I made "Obsidian Weapons" require "Spear Making" and "Axe Making" so it needed to be in front of them. And thus I put it in the "Megafauna Domestication" spot and then moved it back 1.

EDIT2:

Also "Mining" and "Copper Working" should switch spots to make more sense.

@ Hydromancerx

OK this is what i have. I cant change anything else to much because the line wont connect otherwise. SO for now "we" will have to stick with this:

Couple of things, "we" are going to need alot of buildings in the stuff we just put in, it would be better if they already existed and just changed some names and items around, would make it ten times easier. Plus i think it would be really boring cause right now you will only have warrior, slinger and a scout from grid 1 to grid 9. Need more there also. Got to have chooses otherwise people will lose interest. Thoughts ideas (anyone).

One more thing, dont be adding units to later era's also, i believe there is quite enough already, and need to "Slim" down even more.

EDIT: The Entertainment module is fine, cause there really is no buildings added, just empty stuff, i need one that you are going to add actual art, that way i can take a look at how you are doing that, ok, thx.

EDIT EDIT: I tried the game out and went directly towards Archery, just to test run, and this is what happened? (See 2-4 pics)
It by-passed all the Prehistoric stuff:mad:

But then a good hut gave me HorseBack Riding right-away in the beginning(before nomadic lifestyle) also:crazyeye: I guess i had better go thru all the free goody huts, WHEW:whew: (DONE)

@strategyonly

Couple of things, "we" are going to need alot of buildings in the stuff we just put in, it would be better if they already existed and just changed some names and items around, would make it ten times easier. Plus i think it would be really boring cause right now you will only have warrior, slinger and a scout from grid 1 to grid 9. Need more there also. Got to have chooses otherwise people will lose interest. Thoughts ideas (anyone).

Much of what I already have in my mods will fit in the prehistoric techs. Also you can spread out some of your existing buildings and units for these new techs. Of course I will have to play test with the changes to see how it flows.

From what I can see from your tree the many promotions need to be moved around.

I think I will have a better idea of what we need after I apply my mods to it. It can get rather confusing because you have some of my buildings already in but I will end up changing and moving them around anyways.

For example the Basket Weaver's Hut to Basketry and a bunch of the Domestic Animal buildings moved. But i guess its better to have room to fill in than to have not enough room.

One more thing, dont be adding units to later era's also, i believe there is quite enough already, and need to "Slim" down even more

the only units I added were the ...

- Trained Dog
- War Dog
- Guard Dog
- Medic
- Police Squad
- Flamethrower
- Motorcycle
- Armored Car
- Jeep
- Humvee
- BTR80
- Hi-Tech APC

Note that all models are ALREADY in your mod. So all I did is "reactivate" them. The reason I needed to do so is because some of my buildings depended upon them. Such as the Medic for the "Field Hospital" and vehicles like the Motorcycle and Jeep for my "Automobile Factory".

In short there are no "NEW" units, only resurrecting old units that Afforess deactivated.

EDIT: The Entertainment module is fine, cause there really is no buildings added, just empty stuff, i need one that you are going to add actual art, that way i can take a look at how you are doing that, ok, thx.

What do you mean "art"? My buildings had button icon art. Note that most of my buildings have no actual 3D models. The only ones that do are because they were created by others like GeneralStaff or Afforess.

I posted an attachment of the NIMBY mod. It has 3D models for the Toxic Waste Dump and Federal Prison buildings. Note that they were create by Afforess and I just added on to the NIMBY mod when he gave it up awhile back. Note that I actually try to avoid 3D models since it increase the file size so much.

EDIT EDIT: I tried the game out and went directly towards Archery, just to test run, and this is what happened? (See 2-4 pics)
It by-passed all the Prehistoric stuff

I see your problem. Make sure you check the updated tech requirements I posted above. Your problem is with "Spear Making".

Spear Making requires Warfare and Fine-Edged Tools

Neither of which you have highlighted.

Fine-Edged Tools requires Stone Working (aka Stone Tools), which you have.

and

Warfare requires Hunting and Tribalism which neither of which you have.

.... You get the idea.

Basically to get to Archery you need the following techs ....

Archery
- Spear Making
-- Warfare
--- Hunting
--- Tribalism
---- Cultural Identity
----- Ritualism
------ Prehistoric Dance
------- Prehistoric Music
-------- Oral Tradition
--------- Cooperation
---------- Gathering
----------- Nomadic Lifestyle*
---------- Language*
-- Fine-Edged Tools
--- Stone Working (aka Stone Tools)
----Tool Making
----- Scavenging
------ Gathering
------- Nomadic Lifestyle*

* = Starting Tech

On a side note I have been transcribing the space techs and making a huge tech tree diagram with all the techs in it. It should be epic when I finish.

From what I can see from your tree the many promotions need to be moved around.

For example the Basket Weaver's Hut to Basketry and a bunch of the Domestic Animal buildings moved. But i guess its better to have room to fill in than to have not enough room.

the only units I added were the ...

- Trained Dog
- War Dog
- Guard Dog
- Medic
- Police Squad
- Flamethrower
- Motorcycle
- Armored Car
- Jeep
- Humvee
- BTR80
- Hi-Tech APC

Note that all models are ALREADY in your mod. So all I did is "reactivate" them. The reason I needed to do so is because some of my buildings depended upon them. Such as the Medic for the "Field Hospital" and vehicles like the Motorcycle and Jeep for my "Automobile Factory".

In short there are no "NEW" units, only resurrecting old units that Afforess deactivated.

I see your problem. Make sure you check the updated tech requirements I posted above. Your problem is with "Spear Making".

Spear Making requires Warfare and Fine-Edged Tools

Neither of which you have highlighted.

Fine-Edged Tools requires Stone Working (aka Stone Tools), which you have.

and

Warfare requires Hunting and Tribalism which neither of which you have.

.... You get the idea.

Basically to get to Archery you need the following techs ....

Archery
- Spear Making
-- Warfare
--- Hunting
--- Tribalism
---- Cultural Identity
----- Ritualism
------ Prehistoric Dance
------- Prehistoric Music
-------- Oral Tradition
--------- Cooperation
---------- Gathering
----------- Nomadic Lifestyle*
---------- Language*
-- Fine-Edged Tools
--- Stone Working (aka Stone Tools)
----Tool Making
----- Scavenging
------ Gathering
------- Nomadic Lifestyle*

* = Starting Tech

On a side note I have been transcribing the space techs and making a huge tech tree diagram with all the techs in it. It should be epic when I finish.

OK i forgot about those units, sorry.

I checked out Warfare and its fine, In Spear fishing i had TECH_TECH, that was where it made the mistake before, again sorry.:blush:

EDIT: OK i have Warfare and Stone Tools as a req for Spear_making but it does not do it?(see pic)

Also i need someplace to have a better so called "choking" point, as i want about 90% of techs to go though that Prehistoric area, before getting to the Ancient area, thoughts/ideas? I dont want a bee-line like in AND right now.

Meanwhile i will go thru some of the promotions.

EDIT EDIT:
I was going thru a game but this is what happened:

I went for Archery right away, worked this time, but now all the other techs for units StoneAge Clubmen/Axeman etc or no good because i have better units already. I have an archer before being able to use the PreH stuff.

I am going for Writing right now and (see pics 2-4) of the techs left behind, plus Sedentary comes waay to fast and tribalism is too slow also. I was getting my first tribe being built but by the time it was supposed to be built i had a settler. Need to change it around that "we" get to the StoneAge Club/Axe men before anything else.

I wouldn't have that many tech's in PreH yet but i went a different way after archery thats why some of them are green.

A minor suggestion, the trapping tech should give access to a a gatherer improvement for animal resources. Which could "upgrade" to the correct form when you get the correct tech. Yes, I have the design done for the "seed gatherer" improvement to upgrade to farm, orchard or plantation. So adding this as well as the stone and wood gatherer upgrades can all be done.

The tech could also give a pre-hunter type unit to fill in between the early scout and the full hunter.

Then we would just need an early work boat type unit that can only travel in coastal waters and is like a gatherer and its improvements upgrade with the tech also.:mischief:

Top Bottom