Spawn system

I've seen map scripts with all those sorts of things. I believe it was SmartMap. That one had like almost every aspect configurable. Maybe you can loot it to add to other more popular map scripts?

I don't care for massive oceans (pita for wars) so I always use PlanetGenerator that lets me lower ocean %.
Looting code is rarely possible for that as the approaches of the scripts for map generation vary a lot.

Btw, I have added a sea level option to PerfectMongoose some time ago that causes more or less ocean size.

Looting code is rarely possible for that as the approaches of the scripts for map generation vary a lot.

Btw, I have added a sea level option to PerfectMongoose some time ago that causes more or less ocean size.

Could (should?) we go so far as to have a strongly-recommended map family for C2C (almost certainly based on Mongoose), which has it's own Python screen during map generation and allows the parameters to be selected in a nice UI? (sea level, river density, resource density, aridity, ...)

Could (should?) we go so far as to have a strongly-recommended map family for C2C (almost certainly based on Mongoose), which has it's own Python screen during map generation and allows the parameters to be selected in a nice UI? (sea level, river density, resource density, aridity, ...)
Well, the standard map script selection screen allows custom options. Not sure though if we have any access that would allow us to change it beyond that.

Oh cool, didn't know. :goodjob: I'll definitely give it a whirl when I make start a new game.

Well, the standard map script selection screen allows custom options. Not sure though if we have any access that would allow us to change it beyond that.

It is possible. I think it is the "Full of Resources" map script that puts up a new screen over the main screen with lots and lots of options for you to set.

It is possible. I think it is the "Full of Resources" map script that puts up a new screen over the main screen with lots and lots of options for you to set.
Very interesting. I will have a look at that when I am back at the end of the week (flying to a conference today).

That UI is really interesting. It would allow us to set up pretty much any number of game parameters we want and then allow the user to store his selections (or maybe provide presets even).
So beyond setting map script options that could really be used to set different options of the mod.

While that would require adaption of the different map scripts, maybe it is possible to have one pseudo map script as base that has the option settings and then forwards the different map generation calls from the DLL to the real map scripts which are moved to a Python subfolder.

Nonetheless all that is quite some effort to set up properly.
If we go that way, what kind of options would you like to see?

That UI is really interesting. It would allow us to set up pretty much any number of game parameters we want and then allow the user to store his selections (or maybe provide presets even).
So beyond setting map script options that could really be used to set different options of the mod.

While that would require adaption of the different map scripts, maybe it is possible to have one pseudo map script as base that has the option settings and then forwards the different map generation calls from the DLL to the real map scripts which are moved to a Python subfolder.

Nonetheless all that is quite some effort to set up properly.
If we go that way, what kind of options would you like to see?

That would be awesome. If it could save a template for favorite game options generally I'd like to see all the major options that people seem to like to tweak (city limits, city soft limits, REV, guilds, great commanders, surround&destroy, raging barbs, ...) as well as whatever you think the most appropriate maop params are (aridity, river density, resource bountifulness, ...)

You wouldn't be setting game options but map options with such a UI (I think). The game options do semi-save themselves to your preferences - it can sometimes seem to remember what you used last if you aren't constantly using a newly downloaded mod ;) I think I understand the behavior that makes it 'forget' sometimes but that's pretty complex and not worthy of more discussion here I feel.

One thing I felt about the Full of Resources script was that it was perhaps over complex and it had a few places where either the options were not well expressed and lent themselves to confusion as to their meaning or they just weren't working as intended. This was very frustrating but I still played that map despite not being able to get a handle on some of its metrics because it gave some options I found critical.

I would be happy to add to my list a task to go through and identify all the options I think are important to be able to utilize and if we can stick to those (and what you all wish to add from your own values) without overlapping metrics then we should be able to create the best possible C2C map generation system. It could become one of the best elements of the mod if we do it right, imo, as I don't think ANYONE has EVER done it quite right.

So yeah, using the methods that mapscript shows us how to use is the first trick to take from it I would think. Then, instead of doing everything it does, we try to figure out what we really want and not allow it to overlap itself and get lost in its own complexity as it currently does.

You wouldn't be setting game options but map options with such a UI (I think). The game options do semi-save themselves to your preferences - it can sometimes seem to remember what you used last if you aren't constantly using a newly downloaded mod ;) I think I understand the behavior that makes it 'forget' sometimes but that's pretty complex and not worthy of more discussion here I feel.

I was referring to AIAndy's comment:

which I took to be ranging wider than just map options...

Well... if you could save it all in one bundle that could certainly be an interesting way to make sure you always keep your playstyle logged away and would definately improve on the speed and complexity of starting a new game.

Would we be able to include the Rev DCM options that on multiplayer games don't like being changed once the game has begun? That would be VERY nice to preselect without messing with the mod files.

Well... if you could save it all in one bundle that could certainly be an interesting way to make sure you always keep your playstyle logged away and would definately improve on the speed and complexity of starting a new game.

Would we be able to include the Rev DCM options that on multiplayer games don't like being changed once the game has begun? That would be VERY nice to preselect without messing with the mod files.
I mean not only map settings but all you wish to set and yes, store it all in a bunch then.
It looks possible at least, just a matter of effort.

Just as a side note, I've played a game before where horses didn't spawn at all, granted v10 but the principle holds here, my problem wasn't that the lack of horse specifically. The issue was that their are more than a dozen techs that require horses to exist for the raw idea behind the riding 'horses' or domesticating 'equines' when they don't exist is maddening.

My point is that if your going to make a super amazing customizable map, you'll need to make alternate tech trees to go along with them. Its the next logical customizable step. Not really a v18 or even v19 thing, but something that C2C will likely end up doing so the modders don't get meh with the mod. Eventually.

Just tossing an idea into the wild, so it mentioned for the future.

Just as a side note, I've played a game before where horses didn't spawn at all, granted v10 but the principle holds here, my problem wasn't that the lack of horse specifically. The issue was that their are more than a dozen techs that require horses to exist for the raw idea behind the riding 'horses' or domesticating 'equines' when they don't exist is maddening.

My point is that if your going to make a super amazing customizable map, you'll need to make alternate tech trees to go along with them. Its the next logical customizable step. Not really a v18 or even v19 thing, but something that C2C will likely end up doing so the modders don't get meh with the mod. Eventually.

Just tossing an idea into the wild, so it mentioned for the future.

Already thinking along those lines.:mischief:

Already implemented iMaxAreaTotalDensity.
It can be used to deactivate a spawning rule when a specified density of barbarian units is exceeded in an area. Similar to the local density setting. Added it to SPAWN_BEAR_FOREST as an example.

@AIAndy or Koshling

Is this number doubled with the Raging Barbarian setting?

@AIAndy or Koshling

Is this number doubled with the Raging Barbarian setting?
It is (or rather halfed because it is that weird inverse density).
Mind though that it currently only works with threads on (it is a global define now with standard off to find out if some of the random crashes people experienced come from there). I will do some changes to that code so the non threaded code uses the same sequence and has all the features.

EDIT: Pushed the change to the SVN.

It is (or rather halfed because it is that weird inverse density).
Mind though that it currently only works with threads on (it is a global define now with standard off to find out if some of the random crashes people experienced come from there). I will do some changes to that code so the non threaded code uses the same sequence and has all the features.

EDIT: Pushed the change to the SVN.

Whether spawns are doubled by raging depends on if the spawn is tagged as barbarian or not. The spawn XML lets you decide. Animals currently are I think (though personally I'm not convinced that is correct)

Whether spawns are doubled by raging depends on if the spawn is tagged as barbarian or not. The spawn XML lets you decide. Animals currently are I think (though personally I'm not convinced that is correct)

Yes, but I was wondering which particular value is doubled/halved to achieve that. And if AIAndy's two new tags he added were included in that doubling. If the density isn't doubled, a fast spawn would reach or maintain the density faster, but not increase the total number of spawns achievable in that Area.

I think the standard setting is a little soft currently to be honest. I think Neanderthals and Animals should wander into cultural borders. I don't think animals should attack cities, but Neanderthals should as should the normal barbs. Raging should just double their intensity and maybe widen the range they will move to seek out Civs.

If we change TreatAsBarb for animals to 0, then we may need an option to Double Animals-- like they have in FFH2. Think they call it Wild Animals or Animal Kingdom or something like that.

Top Bottom