Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

AlanH, looks like the latest steam update has fixed the downloading mods issue. We are now able to download mods from steam again. I just got the tectonics mod successfully onto my MacBook Pro.

Yes! :goodjob:

It does look as if they download from the Workshop again now. I think you have unsubscribe and resubscribe to make it happen for mods you have failed to download previously.

I have updated the first post, and included some notes on Keka. This is an alternative file expander to Ez7z, which seems to have become difficult to find, download and install.

Do you have the Steam version, and has your Steam software updated?

In my Steam menu->About Steam, I have:

Built: Jan 16 2013, at 14.29.04
Steam API: v012
Steam package versions: 1358447263 / 1358447263

Yes, that's exactly the version of Steam that I have. I also made sure that Universal Access was turned on.

When you click on Subscribe in a mod screen in the Steam Workshop, do you see Steam downloading anything? ('DOWNLOADING', and a progress par, then '1 ITEM COMPLETE')

I assume you don't see any new folders appear in:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/<some_number>/ugc/referenced/

I have multiple folders in 'referencd'. The mods just won't show up in Civ.

I'll move the files to

Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization V/MODS

and see if that works.

Please re-read my instructions in post #1. The downloaded files are .civ5mod files. They have to be extracted/expanded into folders, and the folders have to be moved into ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization V/MODS/

Just moving the .civ5mod files doesn't do it. Mac Civ5 cannot read a .civ5mod file.

[UPDATE] I have added another sentence to make this as clear as I can in the first post.

You have to "unpack" the files. Then move them. The Ez7z, to unpack the files, doesn't like apostrophes -> ' so you cannot do it out of a Sid Meier's folder. You may have to do it on your desktop then move.

Thanks for the comprehensive instructions @AlanH. I was able to unravel my way through the process under your able tutelage.

Hi,
New here, I have been trying your instructions and I can get the mods button to work, but the mod (WWII Full Earth Campaign) refuses to appear in game. Also I have the appstore edition.
Thanks in advance

Hi, welcome :wavey:

I've downloaded the mod and tried installing it in my App Store Civ5 Campaign Edition. It crashes my Civ5.

The mod is nearly two years old, and the description of the installation and activation process is well out of date. I very much doubt if it's compatible with the current or recent versions of Civ5.

Judging from the most recent posts in the thread for this mod, I'd say it's a dead duck.

I followed your instructions, but the mods will not show up. I edited the files to show the mod window on the main menu, expanded the files using Keka, and dropped the new folders into the MODS folder, and all the mod folders have their contents. Yet every time I pull up the mod menu, there are no mods. What I am doing wrong? I hope this wasn't already answered, though I didn't see anyone else with this problem. Maybe I'm impatient or something, I don't know.

If you have Gods & Kings, I assume you have edited both copies of the mainmenu.lua file?

Are you sure you are putting the mods into the correct MODS folder for your version of the software?

Edited both files, placed the expanded files into ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS. All I get when I go to MODS on the game is that there are no installed mods. Should I be seeing the MODS right away, or is there something more? Urg, technology loves to make my life more difficult. I'll read back over your instructions to see if I skipped a step or made a mistake.

Is there some setting on Steam that I need to activate?

I've been examining the files that are still compressed, and there are these data.vdf files. What are those, and how do I extract them? Or are they unimportant? Thus far all may attempts to extract them have failed.

Opened one of the data files, and they might be the reason why I can't use mods. But I could be wrong. I'm not an expert. They seem to attach a name to the mod.

Hi, welcome :wavey:

I've downloaded the mod and tried installing it in my App Store Civ5 Campaign Edition. It crashes my Civ5.

The mod is nearly two years old, and the description of the installation and activation process is well out of date. I very much doubt if it's compatible with the current or recent versions of Civ5.

Judging from the most recent posts in the thread for this mod, I'd say it's a dead duck.

Thanks, and that is what I had gessed, but I couldn't be sure. I'll try something else later.

Is there some setting on Steam that I need to activate?

I've been examining the files that are still compressed, and there are these data.vdf files. What are those, and how do I extract them? Or are they unimportant? Thus far all may attempts to extract them have failed.

Opened one of the data files, and they might be the reason why I can't use mods. But I could be wrong. I'm not an expert. They seem to attach a name to the mod.

I don't recall seeing a mod that contains further compressed files. What compression format are they in? And I've never seen a .vdf file in a mod. Which mod are you looking at?

Top Bottom