C2C - Building Review Thread

Here we go: The 1st set of improved buttons. They all come from Hydro.FPK and the 7z file contains the correct folder structure with the .dds files. I tried them out in the game and it worked (a little bit to my surprise). Any comments are welcome. More to come!

BTW: I use small buttons in the city view to somehow cope with the huge amount of buildings available but that also means that high contrast, not too dark buttons are appreciated.

Edit: These are all replacement buttons. When I come to the shared buttons - let´s see, currently I am getting more and more confused...

Hydro_FPK_Buttons.jpg

Attachments

• Hydro_FPK.7z
    10.8 KB · Views: 38
The next set of buttons:

All of them are from the Modules\Faustmouse folder except Mad Scientist´s Castle (Modules\Alt_Timelines) and Giverny (Modules\Vokarya).

Hydro, I know you have reservations about me changing the Mad Scientist´s Castle but I just took a different section of the same (or at least very similar) painting you selected. See yourself which one you like more.
On Giverny: Vokarya chose a painting by Monnet (I think) made in Giverny which doesn´t look very good as a button IMO. I selected a painting from the same artist also showing Giverny that I like more.

Attachments

• Modules_Buttons.jpg
    Modules_Buttons.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Modules.7z
    27.3 KB · Views: 33
Very good job, some just need to have brightness adjusted. I personally make them quite bright .

Quite a marvel.

@Snofru1

I will add what I can to my FPK but some of those you did are not my buildings.

I was 'just" going to put them in the correct place in the SVN then inform you so you could put them in your FPK at your leasure and then remove them from the SVN. Thus allowing many at once rather than big updates often...

BtW when you added the ostrich farm did you add the ostrich feather and fine leather resources? The first was for use by the fashion and movie corporations and the second by just the fashion corporations. Plus I was going to suggest some other special trade buildings that would require them.

@Faustmouse

I will. I also need to apply much of your new resources to existing buildings. I have just been busy.

Oh ok, no problem. I just researched Food Preservation and was wondering why the Cannery don't produce Canned Food :crazyeye:

I was 'just" going to put them in the correct place in the SVN then inform you so you could put them in your FPK at your leasure and then remove them from the SVN. Thus allowing many at once rather than big updates often...

BtW when you added the ostrich farm did you add the ostrich feather and fine leather resources? The first was for use by the fashion and movie corporations and the second by just the fashion corporations. Plus I was going to suggest some other special trade buildings that would require them.

1. Well I added the ones that should be in my FPK.

2. Yes I added the resources too. If you have some ideas on which specific buildings should have specific changes to them let me know. I still need to apply some other new resources to the Supermarket, Mall and Hypermarket.

Thank you for your friendly remarks concerning my new buttons and the quick inclusion in the SVN!

Hydro,

I couldn´t find my new buttons for Seawall and Flounder Nets in the current SVN, did you like the older version better?

A few minutes ago I have finished the next (and final) 36 buttons which I have made to avoid doubles. Was quite tough (for me)to change the ArtDefines and BuildingInfos in the XML but it seems I have finally made it. Only one pink button appeared when testing in the game which I will surely eliminate soon and then post everything.

Alright, Hydro, your decision.

Here are my next buttons. Some comments:

• I made these to remove identical buttons, all of the former buttons did appear for numerous buildings. I hate it when I see a button in the building list but I can´t identify it before hovering or clicking on it.
  • Many of these buildings had no ArtDefines before. Sometimes I had to change the BuildingInfos files as well as ArtDefines.
  • I tried to keep everything in the folder where it belongs to. Some are in the main XML, some in Hydro´s or DancingHoskuld´s moduls. All the files are in the correct folder structure.
  • I tested all buttons in a game and it worked. Simply overwriting files in the Asset folder did the job.
  • The Toll House button was already around in the SVN but with a wrong frame.
  • You can see yourself how I made the Farmscrapers distinguishable. Hope you like it...
  • Hydro, I also hope that you like what I did to the Guilds buttons.
  • Please tell me if you don´t like a button. I definitely prefer working it over again to living with the duplicate buttons.
  • There are much more duplicates (see my list about 2 pages before in this thread) but I think i have done the most critical now.

Attachments

• New_Buttons_Guilds.jpg
    New_Buttons_Guilds.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 119
  • New_Buttons1.jpg
    New_Buttons1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 96
  • Buttons_C2C_10_2013.7z
    144.3 KB · Views: 25
@Hydro I assume you will do the guilds, if you like them. I'll do the others.

edit I'll only do the ones that aren't in your folders.

I looked quickly again at the buttons you didn´t like, Hydro, so I tried to optimize colour and contrast of the existing ones. Maybe that´s a good compromise...

Those looks good. Thanks.

@Hydro I assume you will do the guilds, if you like them. I'll do the others.

edit I'll only do the ones that aren't in your folders.

Yeah I will do the guilds.

Well looks like most of the others have their art defines into the core and I don't have them in my FPK either so feel free to add them.

EDIT: Oh he added a bunch of new stuff to my xml files. Hmm ok. I will add them soon then.

Have you thought about replacing icons that are screenshots of in game buildings (polygon) with actual buildings art?

DancingHoskuld & Hydromancerx:
Thanks a lot for putting the icons in!

EDIT: Oh he added a bunch of new stuff to my xml files. Hmm ok. I will add them soon then.

When the buildings were part of your BuildingInfos files I also used the ArtDefines in your modules so that the information is not too much widespread. I hope that´s not an issue...

Have you thought about replacing icons that are screenshots of in game buildings (polygon) with actual buildings art?

Not yet. As long as they look OK I wouldn´t consider it a big problem. Do you have a bad-looking example in your mind?

In the bugs thread it was mentioned that Printer Workshop and Money Press have the same button. Therefore I have created a new one for money press. I had to change the ArtDefines file in CIVPlayer8´s module. Everything in the 7z-file is in the correct folder structure, just copy/paste to Caveman2Cosmos will be sufficient.

Great if someone from the team could add this to the SVN!

View attachment money_press.bmp

Attachments

• money_press.7z
    4.1 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom