Range and sources of education property

No wonder the capital is so much harder to keep up in Education in the early game. I was wondering where needing 2 more Storytellers in my Capital to keep the same level of Education came from.
I'm on around 20 Songs giving Education. Not all do, fish songs do not, songs of Earth, Fire, Sky, Sea, and Metal do not, Bull does not, Palaeolithic songs do not.

Yes, I agree, too much all in all even if only getting some 10 animal myths with Education Property.
What about +1% Education instead, so if you are getting as many as you humanly can you might end up with +25%, and suddenly not over the top early on. If Properties can be set to +% that is.
If possible I would set the same on the Myth buildings too, thought without removing the +1:.science:, otherwise any city that concentrates on the Myths will still lag behind, need more effort, while I would think such a city would be better off educational wise.

Thunder: Maybe reduce the benefits of each level of Education to that +2% you mentioned instead of +5% too, on all areas. 4 levels being easy to get (even if reducing Education from Myths as I can easily get to 1000 Education in the capital too) so for no real effort gaining +20% :science: :commerce: :hammers: :food:. Right now I am at 7 levels as the levels are not changed yet, so +35% in each of those, with ease.

Cheers

Right enough, it does. No idea then, maybe just feels like it is then. Seems I need more Storytellers to keep it above the 1k Education. Could be because it is a bit larger too. *laugh*

Cheers

Please don't create even more % bonuses in C2C ... it feels highly unbalanced as it is with the % bonuses ...

I wonder if Storytellers don't come too early. The build up promotions (btw, AWESOME idea!!! :goodjob: ) are really powerfull. And storytellers are pretty cheap to build.
Having songs that provide education is actually quite nice. Maybe, instead of lower that, we could use another education sink? Before writing was invented, it wasn't that easy to transfer knowledge to the next generation. Maybe a building (autobuild or not) could have a lot of negative education. Or link it to eary housing. Writing, Printing Press, Internet... they all would "add up" a step in education I guess.

As a sidenote: Why can my hunters build up traps around them before trapping is invented? :confused:

People complained when you could only build Myth buildings where the palace was. So yes you should be able to build them anywhere.

The Song buildings are what make the myths pseudo national wonders so you need one per myth otherwise you will only be allowed one myth.

If you make the song buildings appear later then you will be able to build many of the myth buildings before the Song building comes into play making them not pseudo national wonders.

The education (and culture) was added to the song buildings recently at the request of other modders. I did not have them producing anything. So it can go back to culture. It was just that people wanted something when the Myth building stopped providing :science:.
I do understand how frustrating this must be for you. I'm sorry for that and I'm trying hard to think of solutions here that can be solubale.

What if we:
*No research on myths - just give them each a culture and let the rest be handled by the song since the song is going to the city the myth is built in anyhow. (Or have the myth double up on the bonus given by the song if we're using this idea.)

*Have each song produce a different type of benefit. 1 song could give +1 Production. Another, -1 Crime. Another +1 education, Another +1 Research. Another +5% research. Another +1 XP to Melee. Etc... try to match it to the spirit of the animal and what traits the animal can teach humanity to value by its example. Try to keep as few overlaps as possible, best if there were none, at least within the same biosphere. With differing XP by combat class, healing by combat class, so many properties, the list of potential benefits in C2C can really go on and on and on and on so perhaps we can make this work! It could also help players to introduce themselves to new C2C features like the various properties.

(Personally I think this would be really fun too as it would make each myth/song feel like a special flavor of candy in a huge basket of candies where there were no two alike!)

And I think this is really the only valid solution without changing the whole structure of education or anything else you want to have them all do. The problem is that there are so many repetitive sources of bonus for one particular thing. That's going to throw the balance of whatever that thing is off terribly during the prehistoric era. So if we vary the things we benefit with songs we can rebalance this out - if you want some help with that I'd LOVE to assist - I'd just need the official list of songs.

No wonder the capital is so much harder to keep up in Education in the early game. I was wondering where needing 2 more Storytellers in my Capital to keep the same level of Education came from.
I'm on around 20 Songs giving Education. Not all do, fish songs do not, songs of Earth, Fire, Sky, Sea, and Metal do not, Bull does not, Palaeolithic songs do not.

Yes, I agree, too much all in all even if only getting some 10 animal myths with Education Property.
What about +1% Education instead, so if you are getting as many as you humanly can you might end up with +25%, and suddenly not over the top early on. If Properties can be set to +% that is.
If possible I would set the same on the Myth buildings too, thought without removing the +1:.science:, otherwise any city that concentrates on the Myths will still lag behind, need more effort, while I would think such a city would be better off educational wise.
Properties don't currently have a % capacity. There might be a tricky way to write the xml to make that happen but we'd have to summon the ghost of AIAndy to find out how. ;)

Thunder: Maybe reduce the benefits of each level of Education to that +2% you mentioned instead of +5% too, on all areas. 4 levels being easy to get (even if reducing Education from Myths as I can easily get to 1000 Education in the capital too) so for no real effort gaining +20% :science: :commerce: :hammers: :food:. Right now I am at 7 levels as the levels are not changed yet, so +35% in each of those, with ease.

Cheers
I might make the structure more granular (meaning if I reduce the modifiers then I'll increase the amount of buildings giving them so that at the highest end it will still have the same total - but I have also been looking to extend the length of the scale so that it takes more education to get to the next levels) but I do believe education should be a powerful influence - just needs to be a challenging and powerful influence though not overwhelmingly challenging.

Right enough, it does. No idea then, maybe just feels like it is then. Seems I need more Storytellers to keep it above the 1k Education. Could be because it is a bit larger too. *laugh*

Cheers
Size would certainly be the largest factor.

Please don't create even more % bonuses in C2C ... it feels highly unbalanced as it is with the % bonuses ...
% education bonuses at this stage wouldn't mean much. 2% of 10 is 0. The end of the prehistoric MAY see base numbers as high as 100 or so so by the time the myths are obsolete they MAY (in extremely high cases) be giving as much as 2-4 education each if they are adding +2%.

Later in the game +1% can = over 100. So the applicability and balance in a % factor is highly age dependent.

I wonder if Storytellers don't come too early. The build up promotions (btw, AWESOME idea!!! :goodjob: ) are really powerfull. And storytellers are pretty cheap to build.
Having songs that provide education is actually quite nice. Maybe, instead of lower that, we could use another education sink? Before writing was invented, it wasn't that easy to transfer knowledge to the next generation. Maybe a building (autobuild or not) could have a lot of negative education. Or link it to eary housing. Writing, Printing Press, Internet... they all would "add up" a step in education I guess.

As a sidenote: Why can my hunters build up traps around them before trapping is invented? :confused:
1) It should be possible to put tech prereqs on each level of the buildup so we can limit by tech how far even a buildup can be effective. I was waiting to see through some testing if and what prereqs to add there but I'm sure the Teaching (and other property control factor) buildup(s) could really use some limiting.

2) I quickly came to the same conclusion on the trapping... I added the trapping tech as a prereq to the promotionline but I'm wondering if it's still effectively limiting the buildup as it should. It's also possible I haven't committed that adjustment yet. I'll have to look into it - if you have a moment and can open up the promotionline infos xml - is the prereq tech set to trapping on that buildup? If it is then the tech prereqs on promotionlines aren't functioning properly.

1) It should be possible to put tech prereqs on each level of the buildup so we can limit by tech how far even a buildup can be effective. I was waiting to see through some testing if and what prereqs to add there but I'm sure the Teaching (and other property control factor) buildup(s) could really use some limiting.

2) I quickly came to the same conclusion on the trapping... I added the trapping tech as a prereq to the promotionline but I'm wondering if it's still effectively limiting the buildup as it should. It's also possible I haven't committed that adjustment yet. I'll have to look into it - if you have a moment and can open up the promotionline infos xml - is the prereq tech set to trapping on that buildup? If it is then the tech prereqs on promotionlines aren't functioning properly.

1) That will work if teaching was the only OP source of Education early on, which is not the case.

2) The Promotionline has the prereq set for Trapping, however the Promotions in that line have not.

The Song buildings are what make the myths pseudo national wonders so you need one per myth otherwise you will only be allowed one myth.

So I think the song was once introduced to nerv myths, right? So they are not as strong since you can only have them once. But now, with their education, myths are even stronger and every one of them adds a HUGE benefit. What about getting rid of them alltogether (or better: give them another purpose).
I don't see a problem with having myths in every city, it is not more powerfull then a free Song. Also you need much more animals to get the same effect.

The Neolithic is our earliest period it is the period in which people finally were starting to pass on information successfully between generations leading to the boom in remembered discovery. Before this the individual or tribe with an invention were dieing before they could pass on the new invention eg fire.

The Myths were designed to represent this boost in science and now the Song for the education aspect. It should be easier to have high education levels early on because there is less to pass on. As you get more and more developed there becomes more and more knowledge that is just about maintaining your current level of civilization so it becomes harder and harder to maintain a high education level.

There is one myth/song per animal, plus one per animal group, plus one each for the six elements, plus one each for some of the terrain features (reefs, rock formations...).

The only thing stopping me adding in more animals is that after about 3 the graphics go wrong. I assume it is to do with the corruption of the SVN awhile back. When I add an animal all the other units loose their button art.

So I think the song was once introduced to nerv myths, right? So they are not as strong since you can only have them once. But now, with their education, myths are even stronger and every one of them adds a HUGE benefit. What about getting rid of them alltogether (or better: give them another purpose).
I don't see a problem with having myths in every city, it is not more powerfull then a free Song. Also you need much more animals to get the same effect.

No. They were done so there would only be one Myth building because some of them reduce the cost of other buildings. If you allow the Myth in every city you soon get buildings like temples, monasteries, cathedrals and some wonders at no cost.

Maybe then they should not reduce building costs but be a prereq for these buildings? Why would you be able to build a temple worthshipping elephants if you don't even know what elephants are or never have seen one?

So you are suggesting that no Elephants means no Hindu religion. No crocodiles no Egyptian religion. No horses no Tengri ... That right?

So you are suggesting that no Elephants means no Hindu religion. No crocodiles no Egyptian religion. No horses no Tengri ... That right?
While it would be pretty cool to have more prereqs on a religion then just researching a tech, this was not intended. I just try to suggests ways to adress the early education boom. I don't know the complete list of which myths gives bonus to which building, but if they are not high (5%) they should make them faster but not insanely fast. If I have
a myth with 5% speed for a temple in City A, then this myth won't affect the temple in City B, right?
I don't really see the problem that if you invest (animals) into another city, that their temples are build faster as well.

If I have a myth with 5% speed for a temple in City A, then this myth won't affect the temple in City B, right?

No. It is 5% in all your cities. If you have two of the same myth in your nation then it is 10% in all your cities.

BTW while playing I thought the cost of story and stories buildings were too low. Most seem to be at 1/4th of what they should cost.

Generic or Group Myths eg Myth of Birds etc should come in much later at Taxonomy and can be built.

I have only converted about 1/4th of the animal Myths so far.

No. It is 5% in all your cities. If you have two of the same myth in your nation then it is 10% in all your cities.

BTW while playing I thought the cost of story and stories buildings were too low. Most seem to be at 1/4th of what they should cost.

Generic or Group Myths eg Myth of Birds etc should come in much later at Taxonomy and can be built.

I have only converted about 1/4th of the animal Myths so far.

You could always limit this bonus just to the city with the myth in if you'd wanted to.

While it would be pretty cool to have more prereqs on a religion then just researching a tech

With my plans for evolving religion it would be possible to get Tengrii with any fast mount, so horse or zebra definitely. Possibly with bison or camel and maybe with deer.

There would be no religion technologies at all.

You could always limit this bonus just to the city with the myth in if you'd wanted to.

Not with the XML tag being used. It can't be changed because it is needed that way elsewhere. We already have a number of tags that do exactly the same thing so I would prefer that they be sorted out rather than new tags be made.

The Myths were designed to represent this boost in science and now the Song for the education aspect. It should be easier to have high education levels early on because there is less to pass on. As you get more and more developed there becomes more and more knowledge that is just about maintaining your current level of civilization so it becomes harder and harder to maintain a high education level.
A single education point in every city would represent this. Up to 20 would represent humanity mutating into alien level geniuses in the prehistoric era. It's just FAR too much.

The other way I could go about this would be to restructure the entire meaning of a point of education to be 1/10th the educational needs of one citizen rather than the full educational needs of one citizen. AKA take all but education factors but the myths and multiply the numbers by 10. Theoretically this may help to balance things there.

You could use this one:

Code:
			<BuildingClassProductionModifiers>
				<BuildingClassProductionModifier>
					<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_HINDU_TEMPLE</BuildingClassType>
					<iProductionModifier>5</iProductionModifier>
				</BuildingClassProductionModifier>
				<BuildingClassProductionModifier>
					<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_BUDDIST_TEMPLE</BuildingClassType>
					<iProductionModifier>5</iProductionModifier>
				</BuildingClassProductionModifier>
			</BuildingClassProductionModifiers>

This will only have an effect on the temples / monestaries and such in ONE city, where the myth is built.
(I really don't want to push you into doing so if you don't want to, I just try to suggest approaches to keep myths and stories nice and interesting in game. )

As I said the Song buildings don't need anything on them at all. They are just there to make the Myth a pseudo national wonder. I should probably rename them MYTH_EFFECT and make them graphical only.

As I said the Song buildings don't need anything on them at all. They are just there to make the Myth a pseudo national wonder. I should probably rename them MYTH_EFFECT and make them graphical only.

So they're just there to make sure only one myth can be built? (THAT's what you mean by pseudo national wonder huh?)

I still think it'd be more fun to have them HAVE a benefit and for each to offer a different type of benefit. Animals each represent different things in human nature and behavior and this would be a fun way to reflect that.

And again, I'd LOVE to give some suggestions on those... will just take a bit to work it out.

The research bonuses on the myths alone can really add up to too much too though, given the massive volume of myths one can gather, so perhaps a slightly different approach could balance that out.

Thinking on this for another day, perhaps its best we just give the songs +1 culture rather than education and for now call it good - we can try to diversify benefits later perhaps.

Top Bottom