Help with city growth!

Cutwolf

Chieftain
Sometimes when my city gets to size 5 or so it stops growing due to lack of excess food to grow. What do I do? Is the city dead? Or is there some way to "add" food to the land and get it to grow? I see some people with all their cities size 12 and I am at a loss on how they do it?

sadly the only thing you can do is irrigate the land or choose a better spot :(

edit: if it has costal tiles i believe a harbour gets you more food from them

Let your workers irrigate the tiles. An irrigated tile will provide one extra food.
The best location for a fast growing city is on grassland, which provides 2 food for every tile before irrigation.
Switch to the city management screen, make sure people are working on those tiles that give you enough food.
Some time, your adviser reports that some city need aqueduct or hospital to grow further. Then just follow the suggestion, build aqueducts or hospitals in such cities.

Cutwolf said:
Sometimes when my city gets to size 5 or so it stops growing due to lack of excess food to grow. What do I do? Is the city dead? Or is there some way to "add" food to the land and get it to grow? I see some people with all their cities size 12 and I am at a loss on how they do it?

You need to irrigate, build a Harbour and/or an aqueduct and research a new form of Government, Despotism is not the best government if you want to grow. Also the following article from Cracker will help you a lot to understand why your city is not growing.
http://www.civfanatics.com/doc/civ3/cracker/civ3_starts/opening_plays.htm#terrain_basics

very probably u r still in despotism and so even if u irrigate your grassland u won't get the bonus food.
u may not be working on the right tiles. if u r still new, u can let the governer to focus on food. if u irrigate your non-grass lands and focus on the food but your cities still don't grow, then u have to wait. it's just a bad position. after you change your government type or after you build railroad ur city may grow again.

Why don't you upload your save file and folks here will be able to tell you exactly what is going on

@chunkey kong, you can grow TO size 6 without them things however after that you need them things to continue with the growth of the city.

maybe you have 1-2 entertainers in the city. If you can connect luxaries to increase the happiness or do some finetuning on the tax the city can use these entertainers to access more fields getting more shields and food -> faster growth.

Top Bottom