Gamespy servers closing, no comment from 2K

lindsay40k

Emperor
Nasty to what means they have to go to to make people buy Civ V. ;)
Here's to all the people who think STEAM will be around forever and never shut down...

Oh my god! Oh noo!! What the heck is this piece of garbage!? I want to continue my GSpy games with a few CFC buddies!! Does this mean that 31.5. Civ4 multiplayer is totally down? Impossible!!

This is why I don't buy games that are dependent on the continued existence of any one company. Give me a game that, once installed on my computer, I can play forever regardless of what happens in the business world. (Also why I never considered the new SimCity.)

Off my own topic, had to comment on a couple of sigs: Kehgrehdid - love it. TheSunIsDark - well played, sir.

Gamenoob servers are only used for matchmaking. Civ itself does not use servers. (except if you use pitboss which you can start on your own as far as I know). As long as you use CFC or your friendlist for matchmaking, you should be fine. Maybe you need a VPN like Hamachi as well, but you will be able to play it, so don't worry too much.

I only dabbled in MP for a short while some years ago and, as Sephi mentioned, there a several other options for MP that are honestly far superior than Gamespy. Other than the occasional teamer game, I found the Gamespy experience quite disappointing and unsatisfactory. From the nutjobs to the inconsistent servers, it was rather lacking. Much better to play with friends or join some of the MP groups like Civplayers and Reams Beyond to find games.

quite disappointing and unsatisfactory. From the nutjobs to the inconsistent servers, it was rather lacking. Much better to play with friends or join some of the MP groups like Civplayers and Reams Beyond to find games.

Dude i played civ4 online often and i en love the nutjobs and unconsistent servers what is dissapointing and unsatisfactory in that ?

That was whole point of civilization 4 that u join the lobby, see random game with 7 people in it, join and then watch events unfolding, trying to get as close to winning positions as possible

Without gs now u gona need to get with people in contact in fb or other places and plan the time when u gona meet and for how long u gona play and all that filth

Darn, I don't use it often but did when playing with my brother on Guest's networks where firewall settings prevented direct IP connecting.

I agree with Kehgrehdid 100%.
I still have StarCraft 1, but Not StarCraft 2 for this very reason.
I play multiplayer over a LAN at home with a friend vs several AIs.
Always War with Raging Barbs are great for a combat oriented game. :)
If it can not be played over a LAN without internet access, then they won't get my dollars.

And this is exactly why I will never by a game that requires Steam. Well this but also the fact that it's basically DRM by another name.

As far as I can tell it isn't even 'by another name'...it's DRM. They just sugar coated the pill with some 'attractive' features like achievements and in game chat and such.

As far as I can tell it isn't even 'by another name'...it's DRM.

Well, Stea-RM to be precise. ;)

And this is exactly why I will never by a game that requires Steam.

To be honest, if prices are low enough (about what a rental movie costs) STEAM is OK for me. Actually bought Civ V and also the Sid Humble Bundle for a couple of bucks each. But please, dear video game producers, don't expect me to pay full retail prices (50 to 60 Euros) for a lend and lease agreement - that basically can be revoked anytime. Simply does not work for me...

I'm going to hold my tongue aside from this, but Steam offers incredible sales, convenience, ease of use. Picking up EU4 for $20 dollars from the comfort of my home? Yes, please.

I'm going to hold my tongue aside from this, but Steam offers incredible sales, convenience, ease of use. Picking up EU4 for $20 dollars from the comfort of my home? Yes, please.

Oh sure i'll admit the offers are good but the fact is Steam is pretty much just fancy DRM. Plus as gbs said i'm not buying a 50-60 dollar game that requires me to have Steam. If I pay that much money I expect to play it forever, not until the servers get shutdown.

While it may seem like VALVe invented the discount price, they actually didn't. Most of my games I bought off of discount racks at stores. If you buy the latest hot seller it's fifty-sixty bucks at the store...or on Steam. If you buy older games that are twenty bucks on Steam they are generally on discount racks for about twenty also... and oftentimes the publisher is no longer bothering with DRM on those releases. If you buy the real old games that are a couple bucks on Steam a lot of times the publisher has completely stopped all support and pretty soon you can find the game for free on abandonware sites...without DRM.

But this is about GameSpy servers shutting down, which of course could never happen to Steam. And if it ever did VALVe has promised that in the midst of going out of business they will take the time to make sure that each and every Steam user gets a patched version of each and every one of their games. And if you can't trust VALVe who can you trust?

But this is about GameSpy servers shutting down, which of course could never happen to Steam. And if it ever did VALVe has promised that in the midst of going out of business they will take the time to make sure that each and every Steam user gets a patched version of each and every one of their games.

And also they promised that all the games they had on their servers will be moved to other servers - so that people can reinstall and fully patch all their dowloaded games whenever they move to new hardware. Come on, people, seriously - how naive can you be??? As soon as STEAM (or any other online distributin platform) folds, loses necessary licenses or even loses commercial interest in keeping older games online (because it actually costs them money to do so) those games will be dead, gone and lost forever. It's inevitable and will happen sooner or later. The only question is: when?
Great post btw., really enjoyed reading it. :)

And also they promised that all the games they had on their servers will be moved to other servers - so that people can reinstall and fully patch all their dowloaded games whenever they move to new hardware. Come on, people, seriously - how naive can you be??? As soon as STEAM (or any other online distributin platform) folds, loses necessary licenses or even loses commercial interest in keeping older games online (because it actually costs them money to do so) those games will be dead, gone and lost forever. It's inevitable and will happen sooner or later. The only question is: when?
Great post btw., really enjoyed reading it. :)

I'll take my chances with Steam. There's a tiny chance Steam will shut down in the future without releasing non-steam versions of my games. But I actually doubt it will happen anytime soon. Compability problems is a much larger issue.

Physical media on the other hand certainly do get outdated. I have no way to install my copy of Civilization 1 simply because I no longer have a floppy drive. And even if I did, there's a good chance one of the disks is corrupt. My physical copy of Half-Life got destroyed in my CD-drive a many years ago, luckily for me the game is still on Steam. My copy of Dark Forces is also gone, I've simply can't find the CD.

Physical media on the other hand certainly do get outdated. I have no way to install my copy of Civilization 1 simply because I no longer have a floppy drive. And even if I did, there's a good chance one of the disks is corrupt.

Well, too bad for you. My DOS-version of Civ I is right here on my PC to be played whenever I want to. "Back-Up" is the magic word here...

Top Bottom