• Mac OSX

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Linux/Unix

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OSX, though I also have W7 installed in a boot camp partition. I use that for some games, lately it's been all Banished every evening.

But I can't say that I "use" W7. I haven't done any configuration at all, I just installed Firefox and LastPass, that was it.

Home: Laptop with Windows 7
Work: some version of Linux

At work, Win7. At home, Win7 primarily, but I'm running a VM player with Linux OSs (Mint, Debian, CentOS, whatever strikes my fancy at the moment) for various functions - high-risk web-browsing (facebook, webcomics, news, etc) is one VM, banking/taxes/investments is another, and creditcard/paypal purchasing is a third, and they all have minimal-to-no shared resources with my host Win7 OS. Really all I'm using them for is the browser and perhaps text editor so it's not like I'm needing to be (or am) a Linux guru for that purpose.

1. Everything's flat. I don't like the look.
2. The start menu is gone
3. There's "apps" that run in a space separate from your desktop for some reason
4. The whole new "start" menu

I realize that I can configure w8 to eliminate some of these headaches, but windows 7 is good to out of the box. I install it and I'm good to go. That appeals to me a great deal.

Like I said windows 8 was designed with tablets in mind. Windows 7 was designed with a desktop PCs and laptops in mind. I'm not one of those "windows 8 sux" crusaders, but I don't think it's weird I'd want to go with the OS that was designed to be used on what I'm using it on.

It looks and and works better out of the box, the user experience is far superior. So I prefer it. If I had a tablet, I'd probably prefer windows 8 on that.

That is exactly what "windows 8 sux" crusaders are saying, except with more crusading.

1. is a matter of opinion, but fair.

2. is specious. The start screen and start menu function identically. You type and then push enter. If you're mousing around on either of them it's a terribly subpar experience and you need to stop doing it wrong. Either of them is much worse than Quicksilver.

3. So don't open them?

4. is the same as 2.

The claim that Windows 8 was "designed for a tablet" simply isn't true, it's a narrative applied by non-MS people after the fact. Metro was designed for tablets, and is an additional, optional feature in Windows. MS developers aren't using Metro or Windows 7, they're all using Windows 8, because it offers the best Windows desktop environment available.

It's a matter of personal UI preference. I just do not enjoy the windows 8 user experience on a desktop, while windows 7 feels like a smooth relaxing ride. My choice is clear.

Zelig said:
you need to stop doing it wrong

I.. need to use my computer exactly the way you use yours. Yeah, that makes sense!

Top Bottom