Ever noticed that the AI tries to `Bluff` you sometimes?

Socratatus

Emperor
I`ve noticed sometimes in war if the AI wants peace he`ll try to bluff you to get more out of you when he`s on the losing side.

I`ve noticed even in peacetime, he`ll try it too. He`ll come along wanting something for something or, if I ask, he`ll want something hugely mismatched. But if I change the offer, he accepts. Oh yea, and he loves his freebies if he can get it!

Sneaky chap!

Yeah i noticed that recently I about got screwed... he asked for a bunch of my cities and i almost didn't notice...

Glad it was ""almost didn't notice".:D

The AI often asks for, e.g., all your horses for an embassy swap, or open borders with all your iron, etc. I guess the theory is "can't blame him for asking." Just ignore the tricky AI and delete the "extra" items, re-propose the trade, and they will accept.

I normally will give away my horses, i don't really use them in my strategy...

I tend to find horse units to be useless unless maybe your playing as a character with a special hoarse unit, or just don't have any iron.

I normally will give away my horses, i don't really use them in my strategy...

I tend to find horse units to be useless unless maybe your playing as a character with a special hoarse unit, or just don't have any iron.

Horses are great to have, even if you don't really use horsemen. The computers value them at (normal speed) 45gp...so should you. After all, why not get paid!? ;) Beyond that, try building at least one to add to your army every game and you'll find they can make a big difference. They take out contemporary siege and archer units with minimal softening up, and can often escape moves that would be suicide for other units, act as scouts, etc. Move them along roads, and all of a sudden you have a unit that can strike an invader and return to a city for healing before it's move ends. They're not pound for pound super powerful, but they are quite effective if you keep their mobility in mind. They're also CHEAP with the 15% off for a stable'd city....especially if it can get an ironworks done too.

Actually, it`s useful to give away some stuff if you can afford it. i`ve found giving away something relatively cheap like horses does a lot to keep potentially hostile Leaders placated for a while longer. Of course, they do then expect to get it every time, but it does help while you fight a war or build your strategy.

The most common situation is when the AI values Iron, Horses, or Open Borders at 0 gold.

So in any deal, they will try to get you to give them to you, but since they value it at 0, they will equally accept the deal if you remove those items.

It's not really "bluffing," but more of a side effect of how the AI values items.

The most common situation is when the AI values Iron, Horses, or Open Borders at 0 gold.

So in any deal, they will try to get you to give them to you, but since they value it at 0, they will equally accept the deal if you remove those items.

It's not really "bluffing," but more of a side effect of how the AI values items.

Well of course, `bluffing` is a very complicated cerebral act of mainly sentient Human beings. Of course the AI can`t really do it, but it`s a good way to help represent or simulate the AI `bluffing` as best it can with programmed routines.

It`s all about making it act `Human`, we all know it can`t really.

I find that when they come to you requesting an RA they'll ask for 100g, plus strategic resources. I've found that if you remove the resources and just stick with the gold they always say yes.

I find that when they come to you requesting an RA they'll ask for 100g, plus strategic resources. I've found that if you remove the resources and just stick with the gold they always say yes.

The 100 gold is the one-era differential (e.g., you're in the Renaissance and the AI is in Medieval). The AI sometimes proposes 50 gold plus Open Borders, which can also be overridden by replying with 100 gold if you don't want to grant Open Borders. They may also ask for 2 strategics plus 10 gold, where they still value that strategic.

If there is a 2-era differential, the AI may ask for a Luxury to balance the trade, but that would represent a 40 gold overpayment, so the AI should kick back 40 gold.

Why give them away when you can sell them?

usually when that happens to me i cant sell them to any civ. its usually too late in the game for them to have value. and often the civ sneaking them in already have plenty. it happens with iron too.

but i have noticed they also throw in horses themselves on trades with me. its late and they arent needed but ive gotten 240g and 2-5 horses for any normal lux. i'd try to remove the horse and get more gold but couldnt. i dont think they were 'afraid' either so it was just something to make the deal look sweeter when horses were effectively worthless to either of us.

Horses are great to have, even if you don't really use horsemen. The computers value them at (normal speed) 45gp...so should you. After all, why not get paid!? ;) Beyond that, try building at least one to add to your army every game and you'll find they can make a big difference. They take out contemporary siege and archer units with minimal softening up, and can often escape moves that would be suicide for other units, act as scouts, etc. Move them along roads, and all of a sudden you have a unit that can strike an invader and return to a city for healing before it's move ends. They're not pound for pound super powerful, but they are quite effective if you keep their mobility in mind. They're also CHEAP with the 15% off for a stable'd city....especially if it can get an ironworks done too.

I'll keep that in mind... and try it out next time i play.

Top Bottom