Art Buildings Tweaks (BNW)

lockstep

Prince
Just uploaded my first non-trivial gameplay mod to the Steam Workshop: Art Buildings Tweaks (BNW).

Description: Makes slots for Great Works of Art available earlier.

Details:

The normal slot building (for Great Works of Art) is available too late. As is, you can begin earning Artists as a tier 1 Medieval tech. However, getting slots for Art can be difficult until you get Museums at Archaeology, which is two eras later in the Industrial. ... In contrast, Writers and Musicians get a building to slot their works from the same tech that unlocks their guild. ... Maybe Firaxis was just trying to make Art work differently, but I don't think it was a good choice.

This mod makes slots for Great Works of Art available earlier while trying not to stray too far from the original design of BNW. The following changes are applied to buildings and national wonders:

• The Museum is unlocked at Banking (was Archaeology), costs 250 production (was 300). This reduces the technology costs for beelining from the Artist's Guild to Museums by about two-thirds.
  • The National Epic is renamed to National Memorial, contains 1 slot for a Great Work of Art (was Great Work of Writing). For strategies focussing on Great Works, this national wonder offers a second pre-Renaissance, non-Cathedral Art slot (the first one comes for free with the Palace).
  • The Opera House, Museum, and Broadcast Tower all require a Monument (was Amphitheatre, Opera House, Museum). As the various culture buildings received different Great Work slots in BNW, a chain of prerequisites does not seem reasonable.
  • The Cathedral produces 3 culture per turn (was 1). With Art slots easier to come by, Cathedrals are buffed to their pre-BNW value.
  • The Hermitage requires a Museum in every city (was Opera House).

Attachments

• Art Buildings Tweaks (BNW) (v 4).civ5mod
    5.7 KB · Views: 115
Version 3 is up!

• The Cathedral produces 2 culture per turn (was 1 in core game, 3 in previous mod version). With Art slots easier to come by, Cathedrals are slightly buffed; they still postpone the need to build Museums.
  • The Opera House and the Celtic Ceilidh Hall cost 160 production (was 200). This restores a smooth cost progession from the Monument to the (now cheaper) Museum.

Hey lockstep I have a question for you.

I am looking at your mod to see if I can incorporate some of the design ideas into CEP and I want to know why you decided to do this:
-- CHANGED BY LOCKSTEP: "BuildingClass" to "BuildingType"; "BUILDINGCLASS" to "BUILDING"

Why change the selection to type instead of class and then add a separate column for the Ceilidh Hall? If you leave it as CLASS the unique variants are correctly referenced and shown in the right place. The Ceildih Hall is just a unique variant of the museum.

I really like the major change though, grouping the Wonders under the city name is perfect.

Anyway, I am going to use your code and change it back to CLASS not TYPE and see how it goes with the rest of CEP's code.
If I knew how, I would would make a function that checks the player's civ type and then reference all the BUILDINGCLASS structures that have great works for that civ, and add a new column to automatically show it, if it is not already of a type that has those works. That way the pointless column for the Royal Library would only show when necessary, not for all civs.
That's for the future.

I am looking at your mod to see if I can incorporate some of the design ideas into CEP and I want to know why you decided to do this:

Why change the selection to type instead of class and then add a separate column for the Ceilidh Hall? If you leave it as CLASS the unique variants are correctly referenced and shown in the right place. The Ceildih Hall is just a unique variant of the museum.

This is not about "Art Buildings Tweaks", but about "Culture Overview Fix", right? The reason for the change is to add support for mods that feature custom unique variants of GW buildings which change the number of slots. CEG doesn't do this right now, but (e.g.) "Argentina Civilization" by Leugi does (Opera House replaced by Tanguería with 3 GW of music slots). See also this post.

:hammer2: Stupid me! Sorry about that. Probably because you are more on the Steam Community than here with your mods. Couldn't find the Culture Overview Fix. (that's not a criticism by the way)

So the change is 'simply' to make the way for adding extra space for more GW slots?:confused:

I don't quite see the connection just yet, but as I have seen your work, there must be a good reason behind it.

Wish I had found that posting you linked earlier. It covers just about all the concerns I want to address.

Anyway, by reverting to CLASS not TYPE, I can get the Ceilidh Hall and our Greek Odeon to display as Unique variants only when playing as those civs. My next step is to make a dynamic column show ANY BUILDINGCLASS that has Great Work slots IF the player is of the civ that has it.
And just so this thread won't become confused I will not post anymore Culture Overview related stuff here.:D

So the change is 'simply' to make the way for adding extra space for more GW slots?:confused:

I don't quite see the connection just yet, but as I have seen your work, there must be a good reason behind it.

As I tried to say: Without this change, any mod with a unique GW building with a different slot number than the standard building would break my modified Culture Overview (as it breaks that of the standard game).

Anyway, by reverting to CLASS not TYPE, I can get the Ceilidh Hall and our Greek Odeon to display as Unique variants only when playing as those civs. My next step is to make a dynamic column show ANY BUILDINGCLASS that has Great Work slots IF the player is of the civ that has it.

If you really succeed in creating dynamic columns (e.g., showing the Assyrian Royal Library only when playing as the Assyrians), I'd be interested to integrate this change in my mod (with proper credits, of course).

upload it somewhere else, please! Many users cannot have Steam working :(

Version 4 is up!

• Museum has hurry cost modifier of 10 (was 0).
  • Improved compatibility with mods that add unique variants of culture buildings.
  • Added references to "Argentina Civilization" and "Peru Civilization", both by Leugi.

The .mod file is now included in the first post of this thread.

Quick question, if I'm using other mods that alter the National Epic, do I have to go in and change all instances to National Memorial or will that happen automatically?

That depends on whether these other mods are loaded before or after Art Buildings Tweaks (which again depends on the install order). Also, the mods may interfere with each other in unexpected ways (if, e.g., the other mod removes the GW slot from the National Epic). If you tell me what other mods you are using, I may add a reference to Art Buildings Tweaks so that my mod is loaded last.

I'm using Race for Religion, and might add in Reform and Rule.

I'm not familiar with these mods, but it seems they add some yield bonuses to the National Epic for certain beliefs resp. policies, but don't fiddle with the GW slot. Therefore, both mods should be compatible with Art Buildings Tweaks, plus (contrary to my earlier post) the load order is irrelevant. (The only minor issue is that the National Epic will retain its original name in the Civilopedia entries for the new/modified beliefs/policies.)

Thanks, I'll try it out.

Top Bottom